Kung Fu Magoo
|Kung Fu Magoo|
U.S. DVD cover
|Directed by||Andrés Couturier|
|Produced by||Kevin Gamble
Jose C. Garcia de Letona
|Screenplay by||Emmy Laybourne
|Story by||Emmy Laybourne
|Based on||Mr. Magoo
by Millard Kaufman & John Hubley
|Music by||Daniel Ingram
|Edited by||Antonio Gallardo
|Distributed by||Vivendi Entertainment|
Kung Fu Magoo is a Mexican-American animated action-comedy film, based on the Mr. Magoo character, created by Millard Kaufman and John Hubley. This film was produced by Classic Media, Ánima Estudios, and Santo Domingo Films. This film was also produced by Motion Toons, a new animation studio created in conjunction of Ánima Estudios, and Santo Domingo Films. English voice-cast stars Dylan and Cole Sprouse, Alyson Stoner and voice actors Tom Kenny, Rodger Bumpass, Jim Conroy, Chris Parnell, and Maile Flanagan.
It was the first animated feature, featuring Mr. Magoo in more than three decades, and the first U.S.-Mexico co-production for Ánima Estudios. This film was written by Emmy Laybourne, Sam Laybourne, Rob Sosin, and Bob Mittenthal and directed by Andrés Couturier.
|This section requires expansion. (November 2014)|
The world's most notorious bad guys are invited to the island fortress of super-villain Tan-Gu (Lloyd Floyd) to compete in an Olympic-style tournament of evil, called the Evilympics. Mr. Magoo (Jim Conroy) and his 12-year-old nephew Justin (Dylan Sprouse) fight giant robot spiders, ninjas on jet skis, and Tan-Gu's mutant "Beasteens", as representatives of the anti-evil task force.
- Dylan Sprouse as Justin Magoo, Quincy's nephew
- Jim Conroy as Quincy Magoo, the title character
- Lloyd Floyd as Tan Gu, the founder of the Evilympics
- Chris Parnell as Cole Fusion, a famous actor/secret agent/good guy who competes at the Evilympics, before decinding that he likes being evil.
- Alyson Stoner as Lorelei Tan Gu, Justin's love interest and daughter of Tan Gu
- Cole Sprouse as Brad Landry, Justin's bully
- Rodger Bumpass as General Smith, an army general who plans to launch an attack on the island
- Jim Ward as General Bonkopp, an army general who is against General Smith's launch plan
- Jeff Bennett as Sid, Justin's best friend
- Kenny Mayne as Himself
- Tom Kenny as Dr. Malicio
- Maile Flanagan as Orangu-Tammy
- Candi Milo as Gor-Illiana
- Ryan Bollman as Corporal Hayes
- April Stewart as Was-Elizabeth
- Jennifer Hale as Agent L / Leslie Destructo
The film's animation was done and produced by Ánima Estudios in Mexico, while the additional animation was provided by Studio B Productions (now DHX Media/Vancouver) in Canada, and Boulder Media Limited in Ireland.
The project had an early screening at MIPCOM at Cannes, France in 2008. On May 11, 2010, the English-language version of the film was released on DVD in the United States, distributed by Vivendi Entertainment. The film was also originally set for a theatrical release in Mexico in 2009, distributed by Videocine, but there was no further information regarding this, to date. It instead had its Mexican premiere on Cartoon Network in 2011. The film was dedicated to Alfredo Harp Calderoni, the film's executive producer and son of Mexican businessman, Alfredo Harp Helú, who died after production in 2009.
On 12 October 2010, the film was acquired by Disney XD for channel transmission and premiered in the United States on 7 February 2011. Produced in Mexico, this marked the first time Disney XD acquired a Latin American animated production for channel transmission.
This film has received mixed reviews from critics. S. Jhoanna Robledo of Common Sense Media gave this film 2 out of 5 stars, saying that "the plot, as it were, is nearly nonsensical, but that has always been Mr. Magoo’s charm. Though he wreaks havoc with his obliviousness -- he often walks into a dangerous situation simply because he literally walks into one -- he successfully extricates himself and saves the world in the process. On the face of it, it’s a nostalgic trip to cartoon history -- Magoo first debuted in the late '40s, and the special effects are certainly pre-CGI -- and it's a welcome relief from the relentlessness and inanity of current fare. But if one must be a stickler, it's also kind of mean, what with all the jokes at an elderly person's expense."
When it aired on Disney XD on 2 April 2011, it was viewed by 1.6 million viewers among Kids 6-11 (0.5 million/2 rating). In a recent airing, the film was viewed by 254,000 viewers among ages 2 and over, with a 0.2 household rating.
As of 2014, Kung Fu Magoo has been broadcast on the following networks:
|Germany||Disney XD / Disney Cinemagic|
|Mexico||Canal 5 / Cartoon Network|
- IMCINE LARGOMETRAJES 2009 (Go to pg. 98)
- O'Boyle, Michael (12 February 2008). "Anima, Classic to do 'Magoo'". Variety. Retrieved 21 January 2010.
- López Aguirre, Sergio (10 October 2008). "Mr Magoo listo para el Kung Fu". Cine Premiere. Retrieved 10 March 2014.
- DeMott, Rick (12 October 2010). "Disney XD Picks Up 'Kung Fu Magoo' Feature". Animation World Network. Retrieved 10 March 2014.
- "Mexicanos dibujarán a Gaturro" (in Spanish). Informador. 28 December 2009. Retrieved 21 January 2010.
- "Mr. Magoo toma forma". Informador. 2009. Retrieved 11 May 2014.
- Kung Fu Magoo emerges on DVD | Cartoon Brew
- Disney XD Movies / Specials Programming Report (as of 8/13/12)
- "Producciones cinematográficas Mexico: Kung Fu Magoo". Sistema de Información Cultural. Sistema de Información Cultural. Retrieved 3 May 2014.
- Paul Johnson | LinkedIn (Kung Fu Magoo section)
- "2008 News Archive ('Boulder' section)". Animation Ireland (Animation Ireland). Retrieved 15 July 2014.
- Ball, Ryan (9 October 2008). "Kung Fu Magoo Debuts at MIPCOM". Animation Magazine. Retrieved 21 January 2010.
- Huerta, Cesar (29 October 2010). "Disney compra filme mexicano animado (in Spanish)". El Universal. Retrieved 25 March 2014.
- Cortés, Joel (24 April 2014). "Animación Mexicana 12: Kung Fu Magoo (in Spanish)". Chulavista. Retrieved 3 May 2014.
- "Falta de Harp destapa fallas en empresas". CNN Expansion (CNN Mexico). 4 August 2009. Retrieved 20 August 2014.
- Kung-Fu Magoo es el primer contenido animado... Ánima Estudios - Timeline photos - Facebook (in Spanish)
- FilmFather: Kung Fu Magoo (2010) review
- Kung-Fu Magoo - Movie Review
- DISNEY CHANNEL & DISNEY XD RATINGS THREAD (JAN-APR 2011)
- Disney Channel, Disney Junior and Disney XD ratings (January 27-February 2, 2014)
- El día del niño en Cartoon Network (in Spanish)
- Teletoon Channels Fall 2011 Highlights
- Twitter / TELETOONRetro: Don't miss Kung-Fu Magoo on...
- Twitter / VTRProgamacion: Cosas más raras se han visto...
- Llego la hora de aventura a Cartoon Network (in Spanish)
- Kung Fu Magoo - Film - Time Out Kuala Lumpur
- Horarios de programación para el viernes 2 de mayo de 2014 de 9:00 AM a 11:00 AM
- Canal Cartoon Network - Domingo 23 de septiembre de 2012
- Cartoon Network | Destacados en agosto.
- Kung Fu Magoo on Classic Media
- Kung Fu Magoo on Ánima Estudios
- Kung Fu Magoo at the Internet Movie Database
- Kung Fu Magoo on Rotten Tomatoes