Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness
|Kung Fu Panda:
Legends of Awesomeness
|Developed by||Peter Hastings|
|Voices of||Mick Wingert
|Theme music composer||Jeremy Zuckerman
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||3|
|No. of episodes||80 (list of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Peter Hastings
Cheryl Holliday (season 1)
Bret Haaland (season 2-3)
Dean Hoff (season 1)
|Running time||approx. 23 minutes|
|Production company(s)||DreamWorks Animation
|Original network||Nickelodeon (2011–14)
|Original release||September 19, 2011– June 29, 2016|
|Preceded by||Kung Fu Panda|
|Related shows||Kung Fu Panda 2
Kung Fu Panda 3
Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness is an American computer-animated television series spun off from the Kung Fu Panda films. It takes place after the first film, showing Po's training to becoming a successful Dragon Warrior, where the second film is, according to the series' executive producer Peter Hastings, "not unlike a very long, super-deluxe 3-D version of one of our episodes".
The series was originally set to air on Nickelodeon in 2010, but it was pushed back to 2011 instead. The series premiered with a special preview on September 19, 2011, and began airing regularly on November 7. Three seasons were produced. Airing ceased in the United States partway through season 3, Before finishing up in the United States, all the episodes aired already in other countries, for example on German Nicktoons in Germany from 2014-2015 and then on YTV in Canada from 2015-2016. In 2016 American Nicktoons in the United States began running ads announcing the airing of new episodes; it was subsequently revealed that five of the ten unaired episodes would play from February 15 through February 19.
Besides Lucy Liu and James Hong, who reprise their film roles as Viper and Mr. Ping, the cast features new voice actors for the characters of Po (Mick Wingert), Master Shifu (Fred Tatasciore), Tigress (Kari Wahlgren), Crane (Amir Talai), Monkey (James Sie), and Mantis (Max Koch).
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (December 2016)
Po and the Furious Five defend the Valley of Peace from villains of different kinds. All the while, Po makes mistakes, learns lessons, learns more about the history of kung fu, and meets other famous kung fu Masters.
|First aired||Last aired|
|1||26||September 19, 2011||April 5, 2012|
|2||26||April 6, 2012||June 21, 2013|
|3||28||June 24, 2013||June 29, 2016[note 1]|
- Mick Wingert as Po
- Fred Tatasciore as Shifu
- Kari Wahlgren as Tigress
- Lucy Liu as Viper
- Amir Talai as Crane
- James Sie as Monkey
- Max Koch as Mantis
- James Hong as Mr. Ping
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (December 2016)
Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness also took part in Nickelodeon's revamp to their cartoon season on TV. As an early promotion, Po was featured in a Nickelodeon bumper with all the characters of the shows set to premiere (or were renewed) in 2011. On July 23, an exclusive sneak peek of the show was shown at the 2011 San Diego Comic-Con, with producers and members of the voice cast present at the panel. A sneak peek episode was released for the DVD / Blu-ray release for Kung Fu Panda 2 on December 13, 2011. In addition, two sneak preview episodes aired (one on September 19, 2011 and another on October 21, 2011) before the official premiere of the show.
Mary McNamara of Los Angeles Times called Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness "a show that won't drive every adult in earshot absolutely crazy. And these days, that's saying something." Kevin McFarland of The A.V. Club said that the show "rips out the elements that made the original film such a surprise, leaving behind a derivative, cliché-laden children's show that recycles moral platitudes adequately but is otherwise indistinguishable from countless other programs" and "isn't a show that's aiming to be cutting edge or original, just mildly entertaining, which it is....This isn't going to harm any kids, but it's not going to impress them either." Despite the mixed reviews, the show has received four Emmy Awards and nominated for four Annie Awards.
Awards and nominations
|2012||Annie Awards||Best Television Production Children||Nominated|
|Character Animation in a Television Production||Michael Franceschi|
|Directing in a Television Production||Gabe Swarr|
|Editing in a Television Production||Hugo Morales, Davrick Waltjen, Adam Arnold, Otto Ferrene|
|Kids' Choice Awards||Favorite Cartoon|
|Daytime Emmy Awards|
|Outstanding Sound Editing - Animation||Joe Pizzulo, Paulette Lifton, James Lifton, Benjamin Wynn, Jeremy Zuckerman, Rob McIntryre, Anna Adams, Jason Stiff, Molly Minus, Matt Hall, Andrew Ing, Roberto Dominguez Alegria, Aran Tanchum, Chris Gresham and Lawrence Reyes||Won|
|Outstanding Sound Mixing - Animation||Justin Brinsfield, Matt Corey and Thomas J. Maydeck|
|Outstanding Casting for an Animated Series or Special||Sarah Noonan and Meredith Layne|
|Outstanding Individual in Animation||Joel Fajnor|
|2013||Annie Awards||Storyboarding in an Animated Television or other Broadcast Venue Production||Ryan Kramer, Paul Linsley, Kenji Ono, Le Tang, Alice Herring, Mike Mullen, Aaron Hammersley (for "Enter the Dragon")||Nominated|
|Writing in an Animated Television or other Broadcast Venue Production||Doug Langdale (for "Kung Fu Day Care")|
|Editorial in an Animated Television or other Broadcast Venue Production||Hugo Morales, Adam Arnold, Davrick Waltjen, Otto Ferrene (for "Monkey in the Middle")||Nominated|
|Hugo Morales, Adam Arnold, Davrick Waltjen, Otto Ferrene (for "Enter the Dragon")||Won|
|Daytime Emmy Awards||Outstanding Children's Animated Program||Peter Hastings, Bret Haaland, Randy Dormans, Gabe Swarr, Andrew Huebner||Won|
|Outstanding Directing in an Animated Program||Gabe Swarr, Michael Mullen, Lane Lueras, Juan Meza-Leon, Peter Hastings||Nominated|
|Outstanding Individual in Animation||Joel Fajnor (for "Kung Fu Day Care")||Won|
|Bill Dely (for "Kung Shoes")||Won|
|Outstanding Writing in Animation||Peter Hastings, Doug Langdale, Gene Grillo, Paul Rugg, Kevin Seccia, Scot Kreamer||Nominated|
|Outstanding Sound Editing - Animation||Joe Pizzulo, Gary Falcone, Jeremy Zukerman, Benjamin Wynn, Rob McIntyre, Anna Adams, Marc Schmidt, Andrew Ing, Jeseey Drake, Roberto Dominguez Alegira, Cynthia Merrill||Nominated|
|Outstanding Sound Mixing - Animation||Justin Brinsfield, Thomas J Maydeck, Rob McIntyre||Nominated|
|Primetime Emmy Awards||Outstanding Animated Program||For episode: "Enter The Dragon"||Nominated|
|2014||Annie Awards||Best Animated TV/Broadcast Production For Children's Audience||Nominated|
|Writing in an Animated TV/Broadcast Production||Katie Matila||Nominated|
|Editorial in an Animated TV/Broadcast Production||Adam Arnold, Hugo Morales, Davrick Waltjen||Nominated|
|Daytime Emmy Award||Outstanding Children's Animated Program||Peter Hastings, Bret Haaland, Randy Dormans, Gabe Swarr, Joann Estoesta and Andrew Huebner||Won|
|Outstanding Writing in an Animated Program||Gene Grillo, Peter Hastings, Scott Kreamer, Doug Langdale and Paul Rugg||Nominated|
|Outstanding Directing in an Animated Program||Aaron Hammersley, Lane Lueras, Michael Mullen and Peter Hastings||Nominated|
|Outstanding Sound Mixing – Animation||Justin Brinsfield, Matt Corey, Thomas J. Maydeck and Rob McIntyre||Won|
|Outstanding Sound Editing – Animation||Gary Falcone, Jeremy Zuckerman, Benjamin Wynn, Jessey Drake, Andrew Ing, Anna Adams, Roberto Alegria, Cynthia Merrill, Rob McIntyre and Marc Schmidt||Nominated|
|2015||Daytime Emmy Award||Outstanding Sound Editing – Animation||Gary Falcone, Rob McIntyre, Marc Schmidt, Jeremy Zuckerman, Benjamin Wynn, Anna Adams, Andrew Ing, Thomas J. Maydeck, Roberto Dominguez Alegria and Cynthia Merrill||Won|
|Outstanding Sound Mixing – Animation||Justin Brinsfield, Matt Corey, Thomas J. Maydeck, Rob McIntyre and Roberto Dominguez Alegria|
|Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness - Good Croc, Bad Croc||June 18, 2013||
|Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness - The Scorpion Sting||October 15, 2013||
|Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness - The Midnight Stranger||March 11, 2014||
- The official final episode of the show "Po the Croc" premiered in Germany on January 7, 2015.
- Zahed, Ramin (October 7, 2011). "Kung Fu Panda Proves His Chops on Nick". Animation Magazine. Retrieved August 3, 2014.
- Barnes, Brooks (May 13, 2009). "'Kung Fu Panda' to Become a Series on Nickelodeon". The New York Times. Retrieved January 11, 2014.
- "Megahit Martial Arts Panda is Back as Nickelodeon and Dreamworks Animation Premiere Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness, New CG-Animated Series, Monday, Nov. 7, at 5:30 P.M. (ET/PT)". PR Newswire. October 25, 2011. Archived from the original on 12 November 2011. Retrieved October 26, 2011.
this year, has brought in $664 million at the worldwide box office. Kung Fu Panda 2 debuts on Blu-ray and DVD on December 13, 2011. Lucy Liu (Kill Bill) and James Hong (Big Trouble in Little China) reprise their roles as Viper and Mr. Ping
Kari Wahlgren (Tak and the Power of Juju) as Tigress, Amir Talai (Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay) as Crane, Max Koch (Kung Fu Panda: Secrets of the Furious Five) as Mantis, Fred Tatasciore (Planet Sheen) as Shifu and James Sie (King of the Hill) as Monkey
- "Kung Fu Panda: Episodenguide" (in German). Retrieved 31 December 2015.
71 3. 19 Die ersten Fünf 29.12.2014 The First Five
72 3. 20 Im Dienst des Kaisers (1) 06.09.2014 Emperors Rules, Part 1
73 3. 21 Im Dienst des Kaisers (2) 06.09.2014 Emperors Rules, Part 2
74 3. 22 Jugend Re-Volte 30.12.2014 Youth In Re-Volt
75 3. 23 Ohne Tsin und Verstand 31.12.2014 See No Weevil
76 3. 24 Der greinende Ganter 01.01.2015 Goose Chase
77 3. 25 Der Angsthasenkrieger 02.01.2015 Face Full Of Fear
78 3. 26 Die vernachlässigten Fünf 05.01.2015 Training Session 4
79 3. 27 Camping mit Ping 06.01.2015
80 3. 28 Po, das Krokodil 07.01.2015
- "Kung Fu Panda Staffel 3 Episodenguide (Seite 2)". FernsehSerien.De.
Staffel 3, Folge 3.15–3.28
- "Kung Fu Panda". RogersOnDemand.Com. Archived from the original on 8 February 2016.
EP 65 Emperors Rules (Part 2) Aired on 01/17/16
EP 64 Emperors Rules (Part 1) Aired on 12/20/15
EP 31 Shifus Back Aired on 11/22/15
- "All Upcoming Times for Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness". Zap2it.com. Retrieved 9 February 2016.
Youth in Re-Volt Mon 2/15
Forsaken and Furious Tue 2/16
Po the Croc Wed 2/17
Camp Ping Thu 2/18
Goose Chase Fri 2/19
- "Starting up on "Kung Fu Panda"". The Track Team. September 16, 2010. Retrieved August 27, 2011.
- Sifu Kisu (July 29, 2011). "Post #2 for Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness". Kung Fu Magazine Forums. Retrieved September 25, 2011.
- ToonBarn Rob (May 3, 2011). "Nickelodeon asks: Are you ready? TMNT, TUFF Puppy, Fairly OddParents, SpongeBob, Kung-Fu Panda". ToonBarn. Retrieved September 24, 2011.
- Timmy (July 23, 2011). "SDCC 2011: Friday Comic-Con Schedule". MovieWeb. Retrieved September 24, 2011.
- "'Kung Fu Panda 2' Blu-ray Up for Pre-Order!". High-Def Digest. 2011-06-26. Retrieved 2011-06-27.
- McNamara, Mary (November 7, 2011). "Television review: 'Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness'". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved May 11, 2012.
- McFarland, Kevin (November 7, 2011). "Kung Fu Panda: Legends Of Awesomeness". A.V. Club. Retrieved January 30, 2012.
- Beck, Jerry (February 4, 2012). ""Rango" tops Annie Award Winners". Cartoon Brew. Archived from the original on June 3, 2012. Retrieved February 6, 2012.
- "The National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences Announces the 39th Annual Daytime Entertainment Emmy® Award Nominations" (PDF). National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences. May 9, 2012. Archived from the original (PDF) on August 27, 2012. Retrieved May 10, 2012.
- "The National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences Announces Winners for the 39th Annual Daytime Entertainment Creative Arts Emmy® Awards" (PDF). National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences. June 17, 2012. Archived from the original (PDF) on April 2, 2015. Retrieved June 18, 2012.
- "Annie Awards Nominees". International Animated Film Society, ASIFA-Hollywood. Retrieved January 31, 2013.
- Beck, Jerry (February 2, 2013). "Annie Award Winners". Cartoon Brew. Retrieved February 3, 2013.
- "The Nation Academy of Television Arts & Sciences Announces The 40th Annual Daytime Entertainment Emmy Award Nominations". The National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences. May 1, 2013. Archived from the original on May 3, 2013. Retrieved May 3, 2013.
- "The National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences Announces Winners for the 40th Annual Daytime Entertainment Creative Arts Emmy® Awards" (PDF). The National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences. June 14, 2013. Archived from the original (PDF) on September 29, 2013. Retrieved June 18, 2013.
- "Outstanding Animated Program" (PDF). Academy of Television Arts & Sciences 65th annual Primetime Emmy Awards. National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences. p. 18. Retrieved July 18, 2013.
- Amidi, Amid (December 2, 2013). "Complete List of 2013 Annie Award Nominations". Cartoon Brew. Retrieved December 6, 2013.
- "The National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences Announces the 41st Annual Daytime Entertainment Emmy® Award Nominations" (PDF). National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences. May 1, 2014. Retrieved May 1, 2014.
- "The National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences Announces Winners for the 41st Annual Daytime Entertainment Creative Arts Emmy® Awards" (PDF). National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences. June 21, 2014. Retrieved June 21, 2014.
- "The National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences Announces the 42nd Annual Daytime Entertainment Emmy® Award Nominations" (PDF). National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences. March 31, 2015. Retrieved March 31, 2015.
- "The National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences Announces Winners for the 42nd Annual Daytime Entertainment Creative Arts Emmy® Awards" (PDF). National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences. April 26, 2015. Retrieved April 26, 2015.
- Lambert, David (April 22, 2013). "Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness - 'Good Croc, Bad Croc' is a DVD Release of the TV Spin-Off". TVShowsOnDVD.com. Retrieved May 15, 2013.
- "Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment: - "Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness: The Scorpion Sting" on DVD October 15; "Monsters vs Aliens: Cloning Around" on DVD October 15". Don411.com. September 10, 2013. Retrieved September 12, 2013.
- "Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness: The Midnight Stranger". Fox Connect. Retrieved December 27, 2013.