Life and work
Originally from Sendai, Japan, Takahashi came to the United States to study photojournalism at the Maine Photo Workshops, the New England School of Photography in Boston and the Eddie Adams Workshop in New York. He joined the Chicago Tribune as a staff photographer in 2004 after spending eight years as a staff photographer at the Boston Herald. He relocated to Mumbai, India in 2009.
Takahashi has covered major domestic and international events, such as the struggle of Liberians caught up in 14 years of civil war in 2003 and following the poverty rates in Illinois climb by documenting intimate family dynamics.
||This section of a biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (June 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- Boston Press Photographers Association - Photographer of the Year 1996, 2003.
- New England AP News Executives Association contest - First Place Portrait, 2000.
- Boston Press Photographers Association annual contest - First Place Spot News, 2000, 1999.
- Pictures of the Year (POY) -Award of Excellence, 2000, 1994.
- Kyoichi Sawada Award - Eddie Adams "Assignment : Iraq" contest, 2003.
- Associated Press Member Showcase - Picture of the Year 2003.
- Atlanta Photojournalism Seminar - First Place News Picture Story, 2003.
- Northern Short Course contest - Best of Show, 2003.
- World Press Photo contest - Third Place Spot News, 2003.
- National Press Photographers Association’s Pictures of the Year contest - Second Place Conflict Picture Story.
- Boston Press Photographers Association - Photographer of the Year 2003.
- National Headliner Awards - First Place & Best of Show in Photography, 2003.
- National Headliner Awards – Third Place Photostory, 2007.
- Pictures of the Year (POYi) – Third Place Photographer of the Year, 2007.
- National Press Photographers Association’s Pictures of the Year contest - Third Place Photographer of the Year, 2008.
- National Press Photographers Association: Best of Photojournalist of the Year (large markets) - Third Place, 2009.
- Special Jury Prize (with seven others), Days Japan International Photojournalism Awards, 2010.
- Chicago Tribune Photo. "Liberia: The impact of civil war", "Chicago Tribune", 1 August 2008. Retrieved on 2010-09-03.
- Chicago Tribune. "Special Report: Our Hidden Poor", "Chicago Tribune", 2008-01-28. Retrieved on 2010-09-03.
- "Winner's List". Days Japan. Retrieved 10 June 2015.