Kunigunde of Sternberg
This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Kunigunde of Sternberg|
|Born||18 November 1425|
|Died||19 November 1449 (aged 24)|
|Spouse||George of Poděbrady|
|Father||Smil of Sternberg|
|Mother||Barbara of Pardubice|
Kunigunde's parents were the Bohemian nobles Smil of Sternberg (d. 1431) and Barbara of Pardubice (d. 1433). In 1441 she married then 21-year-old George of Poděbrady, who had been captain of the old Bohemian circle of Stará Boleslav since 1440. This marriage produced three sons:
and three daughters:
- Barbara (1446–1474), married first with Henry of Lipé (Jindřich z Lipé, d. 1469), and second with Jan Křinecký of Ronov
- Catherine (1449–1464) and
- Zdenka (1449–1510) (also known as Sidonie of Poděbrady)
In 1444 Kunigunde founded a hospital in Poděbrady. It was named after her and remained in operation until the beginning of the 20th century. She also established a foundation for youth education, school construction and rehabilitation of prisoners.
She died in 1449, the day after her twenty-fourth birthday and several days after giving birth to twin daughters. She was buried in the parish church Exaltation of the Holy Cross in Poděbrady.
- Marek, Miroslav. "genealogy Sternberg". Genealogy.EU.
- Marek, Miroslav. "genealogy Podiebrad". Genealogy.EU.