Kunio Mikuriya, 2010
|Secretary General of the World Customs Organization|
1 January 2009
Mikuriya has a BA in law from the University of Tokyo and a PhD in international relations from the University of Kent, Brussels School of International Studies. During his career, Mikuriya has held various high-level positions in Japan's Ministry of Finance. He also had assignments as Counsellor in Japan's Mission to the WTO and a negotiator for Japan during the GATT Uruguay Round negotiations.
From 2002 to 2008, Mikuriya was the WCO Deputy Secretary General. On 28 June 2008, he was elected WCO Secretary General, and he took up this post on 1 January 2009. On 30 June 2013, he was re-elected to a second five-year . Mikuriya has called for successful completion of the Doha Development Round, lobbied against the U.S. 100% container scanning law, advocated enhanced trade facilitation measures during the global economic downturn, and supported the contribution of Customs to environmental protection.
- Mikuriya, Kunio (2003), The Challenges of Facilitating the Flow of Commerce in a Heightened Security Environment, in UNECE (2003), Cosgrave-Sacks, Carol and Mario Apostolov (eds.), Trade Facilitation – The Challenges for Growth and Development.
- Mikuriya, Kunio (2004), Legal Framework for Customs Operations and Enforcement Issues, (Chapter 3 of the World Bank's Customs Modernization Handbook).
- Mikuriya, Kunio (2006), The Customs Response to the 21st Century, Global Trade and Customs Journal, Vol.1, No. 1.
- Mikuriya, Kunio (2007), Supply Chain Security: The Customs Community's Response, World Customs Journal, Vol. 1, No. 2.
- Mikuriya, Kunio (2012), Chapter 1.7 Expansion of Customs – Business Partnerships in the 21st Century in: The World Economic Forum (2012) The Global Enabling Trade Report 2012, 77-84,
- Mikuriya, Kunio (2013), Some thoughts about illicit trade, WCO news, No. 71, June 2013: 14-17,
- Mikuriya, Kunio (2013), Together, we are prepared for all eventualities, WCO news, No. 73, October 2013: 10-20,
- Mikuriya, Kunio (2014), Communication: sharing information for better communication, WCO news, No. 73, February 2014: 12-13,
- Mikuriya, Kunio (2014), Ready to implement the WTO Trade Facilitation Agreement!, WCO news, No. 74, June 2014: 10-11,
- Mikuriya, Kunio (2014), The WCO Council tackles the tough challenges facing Customs worldwide, WCO news, No. 75, October 2014: 10-11,
- Mikuriya, Kunio (2015), Coordinated Border Management – An inclusive approach for connecting stakeholders, WCO news, No. 76, February 2015: 10-11.
- Kunio Mikuriya's career, WCO
- Kunio Mikuriya elected WCO Secretary General, Japan MOF
- Global Dialogue on Customs Capacity Building Conference, World Customs Journal
- EastWest Institute 6th Worldwide Security Conference, WCO
- WCO engages G20 on global financial crisis, WCO
- Customs and Montreal Protocol, WCO
- Mikuriya, Kunio (2003), The Challenges of Facilitating the Flow of Commerce in a Heightened Security Environment, UNECE
- Customs Modernization Handbook, World Bank
- Mikuriya, Kunio (2006), The Customs Response to the 21st Century, Global Trade and Customs Journal
- Mikuriya, Kunio (2007), Supply Chain Security: The Customs Community's Response, World Customs Journal