This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Kuo-toa depicted in the original Fiend Folio.
- 1 Publication history
- 2 Description
- 3 Society
- 4 Kuo-toa in various campaign settings
- 5 References
- 6 Additional reading
The name "kuo-toa" was created by Gary Gygax, co-creator of the Dungeons & Dragons role-playing game. In their original appearance, kuo-toa are described as having once lived on land, but were driven underground by humans and other land-dwellers. However, their presentation has evolved to be more similar to the Deep Ones, creatures that appear in H. P. Lovecraft's novella "The Shadow Over Innsmouth". For example, the kuo-toa were first described as worshiping a lobster-headed sea goddess named Blibdoolpoolp; later versions have them worshiping a being called Dagon, a being that is also associated with the Deep Ones.
Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 1st edition (1977–1988)
Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 2nd edition (1989–1999)
Dungeons & Dragons 3.0 edition (2000–2002)
Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 edition (2003–2007)
The kuo-toa appears in the revised Monster Manual for this edition (2003).
The kuo-toa monitor and the kuo-toa whip appeared in Drow of the Underdark (2007). The crazed kuo-toa, the kuo-toa exalted whip, the kuo-toa harpooner, and the kuo-toa monitor appear in Monster Manual V (2007).
Dungeons & Dragons 4th edition (2008–2013)
Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition (2014–)
The kuo-toa appears in the Monster Manual for this edition (2014).
Kuo-toa have scaly, bipedal bodies with fish-like heads.
Kuo-toa in various campaign settings
Kuo-toa in the Forgotten Realms
In the Forgotten Realms campaign setting kuo-toans maintain friendly relations with drow, their Underdark neighbours. Blibdoolpoolp is the focus of the kuo-toans' lives, and even has her own monstrous, deformed kuo-toa breed—the giant kuo-toa leviathan. They have total hatred for the sahuagin, another aquatic race.
Kuo-toa in Greyhawk
- "Frequently Asked Questions". D20srd.org. Retrieved 2007-02-23.
- Gygax, Gary. Shrine of the Kuo-Toa (TSR, 1978)
- Gygax, Gary. Vault of the Drow (TSR, 1978).
- Turnbull, Don, ed. Fiend Folio (TSR, 1981)
- Cook, David, et al. Monstrous Compendium Volume Two (TSR, 1989)
- Stewart, Doug, ed. Monstrous Manual (TSR, 1993)
- Cook, Monte, Jonathan Tweet, and Skip Williams. Monster Manual (Wizards of the Coast, 2000)
- Cordell, Bruce R, Gwendolyn FM Kestrel, and Jeff Quick. Underdark (Wizards of the Coast, 2003)
- Mearls, Mike, Stephen Schubert, and James Wyatt. Monster Manual (Wizards of the Coast, 2008)