Kurao Hiroshima (廣島 庫夫 Hiroshima Kurao?, 5 December 1928 – 11 May 1996) was a Japanese long-distance runner who specialised in the marathon. Born in Kitago, Higashiusuki District, Miyazaki, he went on to represent his country twice at the Olympic Games: he finished 33rd in the marathon at the 1956 Summer Olympics and returned for the same event four years later at the 1960 Rome Olympics, taking 31st position with a time of 2:29:40.
Outside of the Olympics, Hiroshima experienced much success on the Japanese marathon circuit. He made his first impact at the Japanese national championships: becoming the national champion for the first time in Tokyo in 1953 and for a second time in Fukuoka in 1955. Between 1953 and 1959 he often registered within the world's top twenty fastest marathon runners of the year. He was a three-time winner of the Lake Biwa Marathon, with victories in 1955, 1957 and 1959.
His achievements at the Fukuoka Marathon singled him out as one of the best Japanese runners of his generation: his winning time of 2:21:40 in 1957 was a new Japanese record, the fifth fastest in the world that year. He became the first runner to win twice in Fukuoka when he took the title again two years later.
At the Beppu-Ōita Marathon, he was also the first athlete to win on multiple occasions (in 1956 and 1958). He also proved himself adept at the 20 kilometres distance when he won the Kashima Yutoku 20K in both 1955 and 1957.
- All results regarding marathon, unless stated otherwise
|1955||Mainichi Marathon||Ōsaka, Japan||1st||2:26:32|
|1956||Beppu-Ōita Marathon||Beppu-Ōita, Japan||1st||2:26:24|
|1957||Mainichi Marathon||Ōsaka, Japan||1st||2:31:20|
|Fukuoka Marathon||Fukuoka, Japan||1st||2:21:40|
|1958||Beppu-Ōita Marathon||Beppu-Ōita, Japan||1st||2:25:16|
|1959||Mainichi Marathon||Ōsaka, Japan||1st||2:30:06|
|Fukuoka Marathon||Fukuoka, Japan||1st||2:29:34|
|Marathon||2:21:40||Fukuoka Marathon||Fukuoka, Japan||1 December 1957|
- Kurao Hiroshima. Sports-Reference. Retrieved on 2010-02-08.
- National Marathon Champions for Japan. ARRS (2009-12-06). Retrieved on 2010-02-08.
- World Marathon Rankings for 1953. ARRS (2009-08-23). Retrieved on 2010-02-08.
- Biwa-ko Mainichi Marathon. ARRS (2009-02-03). Retrieved on 2010-02-08.
- Nakamura, Ken. Marathon - A history of the Fukuoka International Marathon Championships by K. Ken Nakamura - Part 1 1947-1966. IAAF. Retrieved on 2010-02-08.
- World Marathon Rankings for 1957. ARRS (2010-01-22). Retrieved on 2010-02-08.
- Beppu-Oita Mainichi Marathon. ARRS (2009-12-24). Retrieved on 2010-02-08.
- Larner, Brett & Ota, Shigenobu (2010-01-24). Kashima Yutoku Half Marathon. ARRS. Retrieved on 2010-02-08.
- World Marathon Rankings for 1954. ARRS. (2009-10-16). Retrieved on 2010-02-08.
- Biography and photo from Miyazaki Prefecture website (Japanese)