|First appearance||As Algrim
Thor #347 (Sep. 1984)
Secret Wars II #4 (Oct. 1985)
Power Pack #18 (Jan. 1986)
|Created by||Walter Simonson|
Malekith the Accursed
|Notable aliases||Algrim the Strong, Valgoth|
|Abilities||Superhuman strength, speed, stamina and durability
Ability to mystically track and locate enemies over large distances and see through illusions and disguises
Enchanted armor grants:
Ability to see everything around him
Kurse is a fictional character appearing in American comic books published by Marvel Comics. Created by writer/artist Walter Simonson, the character first appears as the Dark Elf Algrim the Strong in Thor #347 (Sep. 1984). He is later transformed into Kurse in Secret Wars II #4 (Oct. 1985). Algrim is portrayed by Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje in the 2013 Marvel Cinematic Universe film Thor: The Dark World.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (June 2014)
Fictional character biography
Kurse was originally the most powerful of a race of Dark Elves and was known as Algrim the Strong. He is coerced by the Dark Elf ruler Malekith the Accursed to fight the Asgardian God of Thunder and superhero, Thor. Malekith, however, betrays Algrim while he is fighting Thor, and in a bid to destroy the Thunder God orders that a pitfall beneath the two be opened. Thor saves himself courtesy of his mystical hammer Mjolnir, while Algrim falls into lava. Algrim's enchanted armor saves his life, but he is still critically injured and develops amnesia from the shock.
Algrim is completely amnesic, except for his obsessive desire to gain revenge upon Thor. Algrim is later healed by the cosmic entity the Beyonder, who transforms him into the much more powerful being called Kurse, who is apparently twice as strong as Thor. The Beyonder transports Kurse to Earth to battle Thor, however Kurse mistakes Thor's ally Beta Ray Bill for Thor and battles him. Kurse then battles the juvenile superhero team, Power Pack. Thor dons his magical belt of strength to double his strength and confronts Kurse, however the Beyonder doubles Kurse's strength as well.[volume & issue needed]
Despite overpowering Thor, Kurse is made to realize that it was Malekith, not Thor, who is to blame for his suffering. The Beyonder then transports Kurse to Hel at Thor's suggestion, to frustrate Hela, the Goddess of Death. Kurse confronts and severely beats Loki, who had been disguised as Malekith. Drawing off, he leaves Loki injured and finds what he thinks is Balder the Brave, surrounded by legions of Asgardians. He barrels through them and slays his target, who turns out to be the true Malekith. After repenting, he is granted citizenship among the Asgardians.
He is designated as the guardian of the children of Asgard after he helped protect Volstagg's daughter and adopted sons during a plague, and loyally serves Asgard until the time of Ragnarok. At the time of Ragnarok, all the Asgardians apparently perish, with the exception of Thor.
Kurse is later captured by Malekith, who strips him of the armor. Algrim is sent to Nastrond Prison, where he is forced to serve out the rest of the sentence of Wazaria, a former member of the League of Realms. Malekith forces Wazaria to don the armor, transforming her into the new Kurse. Before he is imprisoned, Algrim encourages his successor to kill herself the first chance she gets.
Powers and abilities
Kurse possesses a number of superhuman attributes as a result of his natural dark elf physiology and mystical augmentation. Kurse's main advantage against foes is his strength - while initially a close match for Thor, his strength was first increased to twice, and then four times, that of Thor. Courtesy of enchanted armor that was fused to his skin by the Beyonder, Kurse is now almost totally invulnerable but like all Dark Elves is vulnerable to the element iron. Kurse also has the ability to sense and track his opponents over distances as great as continents and can see through illusions and disguises. His armor is a living, sentient, and enchanted armor that allows Kurse to see everything around him.
In other media
- Algrim appears in the animated direct-to-video film Thor: Tales of Asgard, voiced by Ron Halder. His race was killed by Frost Giants after they were forced to ally with Surtur because Odin would not help them. He later steals Surtur's sword and is killed by Loki.
- Algrim appears in Thor: The Dark World, portrayed by Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje. He appears as a close subordinate of Malekith the Accursed, later being turned into the last of the Dark Elves' monstrous Kursed soldiers, augmenting his strength significantly while bonding the armor he wore at the time to his body. He is much stronger than Thor and has little difficulty in overpowering him in Svartálfaheimr, before being killed by Loki with the help of a Dark Elf grenade.
- Kurse appears as a mini-boss in the video game, Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, voiced by Tom Kane.
- Kurse appeared as a group boss in Marvel: Avengers Alliance. He was featured in the 14th Spec-Ops.
- Kurse appears in Marvel Heroes.
- Kurse appears in Lego Marvel Super Heroes, voiced by Andrew Kishino.
- Thor #347 - 348 (vol. 1, Sep. - Oct. 1984)
- Secret Wars[volume & issue needed] (vol. 2, Oct. 1985)
- Secret Wars #6 (vol. 2, Dec. 1985)
- Power Pack #18 (May. 1985)
- Thor #363 (vol. 1, Jan. 1986)
- Thor #367 - 368 (vol. 1, May - Jun. 1986)
- Thor #382
- Thor #85 (vol. 2, Dec. 2004)
- The Mighty Thor (vol. 2) #14
- Secret Wars II #6
- The Mighty Thor #363
- McNary, Dave (2012-08-22). "Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje joins 'Thor: Dark World'". Variety. Archived from the original on 2012-08-22. Retrieved 2012-08-22.
- Kurse at Marvel.com