Kurt von Briesen
This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2012)
Kurt von Briesen
|Born||3 May 1886|
|Died||20 November 1941 (aged 55)|
Kharkov, Soviet Union
|Rank||General of the Infantry|
|Commands held||30th Infantry Division |
LII Army Corps
|Battles/wars||World War I
World War II
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross|
Kurt von Briesen (3 May 1886 – 20 November 1941) was a general in the Wehrmacht of Nazi Germany. He was a recipient of the Knight’s Cross of the Iron Cross. Briesen led the 30th Infantry Division in the invasion of Poland in 1939. On 1 August 1940, Briesen was promoted to the rank of general. On 25 November 1940 he was appointed commanding general of the LII Army Corps. Briesen was killed by Soviet aircraft near Isjum on the Seversky Donets River, southeast of Kharkov, on 20 November 1941.
Awards and decorations
- Iron Cross (1914) 2nd Class (September 1914) & 1st Class (December 1914)
- Knight's Cross of the House Order of Hohenzollern with Swords (April 1918)
- Clasp to the Iron Cross (1939) 2nd Class (20 September 1939) & 1st Class (4 October 1939)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 27 October 1939 as Generalleutnant and commander of 30. Infanterie-Division
- Thomas & Wegmann 1993, p. 114.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 123.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000) . Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939–1945 — Die Inhaber der höchsten Auszeichnung des Zweiten Weltkrieges aller Wehrmachtteile [The Bearers of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939–1945 — The Owners of the Highest Award of the Second World War of all Wehrmacht Branches] (in German). Friedberg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 978-3-7909-0284-6.
- Thomas, Franz; Wegmann, Günter (1993). Die Ritterkreuzträger der Deutschen Wehrmacht 1939–1945 Teil III: Infanterie Band 3: Br–Bu [The Knight's Cross Bearers of the German Wehrmacht 1939–1945 Part III: Infantry Volume 3: Br–Bu] (in German). Osnabrück, Germany: Biblio-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-7648-1734-3.