|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
From the upper left:
Nishitetsu Kurume Station, city hall, Suitengu shrine,
Kora-taisha shrine, Narita-san temple
Ishibashi bunka center, JR Kurume Station
Location of Kurume in Fukuoka Prefecture
|• Mayor||Toshinori Narahara (since February 2010)|
|• Total||229.84 km2 (88.74 sq mi)|
|Population (October 1, 2015)|
|• Density||1,324.83/km2 (3,431.3/sq mi)|
|• Tree||Cinnamomum camphora, Zelkova serrata, Rhus succedanea, Camellia, Round Leaf Holly|
|• Flower||Azalea, Cosmos|
|Time zone||Japan Standard Time (UTC+9)|
|City hall address||15-3 Jonan, Kurume-shi, Fukuoka-ken
On February 5, 2005, the town of Kitano (from Mii District), the towns of Jōjima and Mizuma (both from Mizuma District), and the town of Tanushimaru (from Ukiha District) were merged into Kurume.
Traditional products of Kurume are kasuri (絣), or woven indigo-dyed cloth; tonkotsu ramen (pork-bone broth noodles); and trays and bowls made from rantai shikki (籃胎漆器), a composite made from lacquered bamboo.
- Kurume University
- Kurume Institute of Technology
- St.Mary's College
- Kurume Shin-Ai Women's College
Kurume is twinned with these cities.
Notable people born or raised in Kurume
In chronological order of birth year:
- George Shima (1864–1926), "Potato King" of California.
- Shigeru Aoki (1882-1911), Western-style artist.
- Shōjirō Ishibashi (1889–1976), founder of Bridgestone Corporation, which originated in Kurume as traditional footwear manufacturers, producing the sock-like shoe (jika-tabi) used by farmers; they found that by coating the bottom of tabi with rubber, farmers could be protected from the invasion of parasitic worms that live in rice paddies.
- Harue Koga (1895-1933), eclectic avant-garde artist and poet.
- Susumu Fujita (1912–1990/91), actor.
- Leiji Matsumoto (1938–present), manga artist, anime character designer and animator.
- Ryo Ishibashi (1956–present), actor.
- Seiko Matsuda (1962–present), singer and actress.
- Fumiya Fujii (1962–present), lead vocalist of The Checkers (Japanese band).
- Izumi Sakai (1967–2007), lead vocalist of Zard; born in Kurume, but raised in Kanagawa.
- Rena Tanaka (1980–present), actress.
- "List of Statistical Tables Portal Site of Official Statistics of Japan GL38020103". www.e-stat.go.jp. Retrieved 2016-05-07.
- "姉妹都市（国内）". Kurume city. Retrieved 2015-02-24.
- "姉妹都市（海外）". Kurume city. Retrieved 2015-02-24.
- "友好都市". Kurume city. Retrieved 2015-02-24.
- Kim, Hyung-chan. (1999). Distinguished Asian Americans: A Biographical Dictionary, pp. 316-317., p. 316, at Google Books
- Hata, Don and Nadine. "George Shima: The Potato King of California" (PDF). Journal of the West. Archived from the original (PDF) on March 5, 2012.
- About the Founder | ISHIBASHI FOUNDATION
- 藤田 進(フジタ ススム)とは - コトバンク
- asahi.com : 「メーテル役は小雪さんに」松本零士さん、松山で講演 - マイタウン愛媛
- PROFILE｜石橋 凌 (いしばしりょう) OFFICIAL WEBSITE
- "日本のシンガーTOP30 - 第7位" (in Japanese). HMV Japan. Archived from the original on February 9, 2015.
- 男の履歴書 藤井フミヤ｜インライフ
- Group Future: ZARD & Sakai Izumi Profiling (Profiling ZARD and Izumi Sakai). Art Book Hon no Mori, 2000. ISBN 4-87693-550-5 (ISBN ), ISBN 978-4-87693-550-5 (ISBN ) (in Japanese)
- 田中麗奈 OFFICIAL WEBSITE
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Kurume.|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kurume, Fukuoka.|