|Born||November 24, 1841 or |
November 27, 1841
|Died||April 19, 1932 or |
April 19, 1934
Kusakabe Kimbei (日下部 金兵衛) (1841–1934) was a Japanese photographer. He usually went by his given name, Kimbei, because his clientele, mostly non-Japanese-speaking foreign residents and visitors, found it easier to pronounce than his family name.:8
Kusakabe Kimbei worked with Felice Beato and Baron Raimund von Stillfried as a photographic colourist and assistant. In 1881, Kimbei opened his own workshop in Yokohama, in the Benten-dōri quarter. From 1889, the studio operated in the Honmachi quarter.
By 1893, his was one of the leading Japanese studios supplying art to Western customers. Many of the photographs in the studio's catalogue featured depictions of Japanese women, which were popular with tourists of the time.:10 Kimbei preferred to portray female subjects in a traditional bijinga style, and hired geisha to pose for the photographs. Many of his albums are mounted in accordion fashion.
Kimbei retired as a photographer in 1914.
View of Mount Fuji. Hand-coloured albumen silver print, 1880.
- Nakamura, Hirotoshi (2006). 明治時代カラー写真の巨人 日下部金兵衛 (in Japanese). Tokyo, Japan: 国書刊行会. pp. 170–173. ISBN 4336047723.
- "日下部 金兵衛 クサカベ キンベエ", 20-seiki Nihon jinmei jiten(20世紀日本人名事典) = Major 20th-century people in Japan : a biographical dictionary20世紀日本人名事典 (in Japanese), Tokyo, Japan: Nichigai AsoshieÌ"tsu., 2004, ISBN 4816918531
- Tucker, Anne, ed. (2003). The history of Japanese photography. Yale University Press in association with the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston. ISBN 0300099258.
- Bennett, Terry. Early Japanese images (1st ed.). Charles E. Tuttle. p. 50. ISBN 1462911374.
- Wakita, Mio. Staging desires : Japanese femininity in Kusakabe Kimbei's nineteenth-century souvenir photography. 2013: Reimer. p. 14. ISBN 978-3-496-01467-6.
- Kincaid, Chris (6 May 2018). "Felice Beato and Kimbei Kusakabe, Photographers of 1800s Japan". Japan Powered. Retrieved 11 January 2019.
- "Exhibition: Visual Arts of Japan". Georgetown University Library. Retrieved 11 January 2019.
- Hockley, Allen (2010). "Globetrotters' Japan: People. Foreigners on the Tourist Circuit in Meiji Japan" (PDF). Massachusetts Institute of Technology Visualizing Cultures. Retrieved 11 January 2019.
- Bennett, Terry (2012). Photography in Japan, 1853-1912. Tuttle Publishing. ISBN 1462907083.
- Canadian Centre for Architecture; Collections Online, s.v. "Kusakabe, Kimbei". Accessed 14 April 2011.
- Musée Nicéphore Niépce; Collection du musée Niépce. Thé/Laque/Photographie. Accessed 3 April 2006.
- Nagasaki University Library; Japanese Old Photographs in Bakumatsu-Meiji Period: "Kusakabe, Kinbei". Accessed 30 May 2008.
- Turner, Jane, ed. The Dictionary of Art, vol. 18 (New York: Grove's Dictionaries, 1996), 534.
- Union List of Artist Names, s.v. "Kimbei, Kusakabe". Accessed 3 April 2006.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kusakabe Kimbei.|
- Old Photos of Japan. Kusakabe Kimbei. A selection of photographs by Kusakabe, with footnoted descriptive text. Accessed 28 May 2009.
- I Photo Central. Kusakabe Kimbei. A selection of photographs by Kusakabe. Accessed 30 May 2008.
- Some of Kimbei Kusakabe's photos. At the Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives.
- Fostinum: Photographs by Kusakabe Kimbei
- Photos of Japan. Kusakabe Kimbei. A collection of Japanese prints by Kusakabe Kimbei.