November 24, 1841 or |
November 27, 1841
Japan, Kōfu, Kai Province
April 19, 1932 or |
April 19, 1934
Kusakabe Kimbei (日下部 金兵衛) (1841–1934) was a Japanese photographer. He usually went by his given name, Kimbei, because his clientele, mostly non-Japanese-speaking foreign residents and visitors, found it easier to pronounce than his family name.
This section does not cite any sources. (February 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Kusakabe Kimbei worked with Felice Beato and Baron Raimund von Stillfried as a photographic colourist and assistant before opening his own workshop in Yokohama in 1881, in the Benten-dōri quarter, and from 1889 operating in the Honmachi quarter. He also opened a branch in the Ginza quarter of Tokyo.
He stopped working as a photographer in 1912-1913.
View of Mount Fuji. Hand-coloured albumen silver print, 1880.
- Nakamura, Hirotoshi (2006). 明治時代カラー写真の巨人 日下部金兵衛 (in Japanese). Tokyo, Japan: 国書刊行会. pp. 170–173. ISBN 4336047723.
- "日下部 金兵衛 クサカベ キンベエ", 20-seiki Nihon jinmei jiten(20世紀日本人名事典) = Major 20th-century people in Japan : a biographical dictionary20世紀日本人名事典 (in Japanese), Tokyo, Japan: Nichigai AsoshieÌ"tsu., 2004, ISBN 4816918531
- Bennett, Terry. Early Japanese Images (Rutland, Vermont: Charles E. Tuttle Company, 1996), 50.
- Canadian Centre for Architecture; Collections Online, s.v. "Kusakabe, Kimbei". Accessed 14 April 2011.
- Musée Nicéphore Niépce; Collection du musée Niépce. Thé/Laque/Photographie. Accessed 3 April 2006.
- Nagasaki University Library; Japanese Old Photographs in Bakumatsu-Meiji Period: "Kusakabe, Kinbei". Accessed 30 May 2008.
- Turner, Jane, ed. The Dictionary of Art, vol. 18 (New York: Grove's Dictionaries, 1996), 534.
- Union List of Artist Names, s.v. "Kimbei, Kusakabe". Accessed 3 April 2006.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kusakabe Kimbei.|
- Old Photos of Japan. Kusakabe Kimbei. A selection of photographs by Kusakabe, with footnoted descriptive text. Accessed 28 May 2009.
- I Photo Central. Kusakabe Kimbei. A selection of photographs by Kusakabe. Accessed 30 May 2008.
- Some of Kimbei Kusakabe's photos. At the Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives.
- Fostinum: Photographs by Kusakabe Kimbei
- Photos of Japan. Kusakabe Kimbei. A collection of Japanese prints by Kusakabe Kimbei.
|This article about a Japanese photographer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|