Kushal Pal Singh
15 November 1931 |
Bulandshahar, United Provinces, British India
(now in Uttar Pradesh, India)
|Residence||New Delhi, India|
|Alma mater||Meerut College|
|Occupation||Chairman and CEO of DLF Universal|
|Net worth||US$2.5 billion (Nov. 2015)|
Kushal Pal Singh Teotia or K.P. Singh (Hindi: कुशल पाल सिंह; born 15 November 1931) is an Indian real estate developer and the chairman and CEO of real estate developer DLF Limited, founded by his brother-in-law Raghvendra Singh Bharadwaj   DLF has an estimated land bank of 10,255 acres (42 km2), with about 3,000 acres (12 km²) being in Gurgaon, called DLF City. Singh's personal wealth is estimated at $2.5 billion. His autobiography, named 'Whatever the Odds: The Incredible Story Behind DLF', was launched in 2011; Jack Welch spoke at the launch.
Early Life and career
K.P. Singh was born on 15 November 1931 in Bulandshahar, Uttar Pradesh in a Jat family. His father Ch. Mukhtar Singh was a reputed lawyer in Bulandshahr. After graduating in science from Meerut College, Uttar Pradesh, he pursued Aeronautical Engineering in the UK and was subsequently selected to the Indian Army by British Officers Services Selection Board, UK. He was commissioned into the 9th Deccan Horse cavalry regiment.  In 1960 he joined American Universal Electric Company and, soon after its merger with DLF Universal Limited in 1979, he took over as the Managing Director with Raghuvendra Singh Bhardwaj. Raghuvendra Singh and most of his family were killed in an accident in 1997.
- Chairman of the Board, DLF Limited.
- Chairman and Director of 31 different private companies engaged in various sectors of the economy.
- Member Commerce & Industry (FICCI).
- Member of Delhi Vision Group to overview the Master Plan of Delhi 2021.
- Honorary Consul General, Principality of Monaco.
• President of the apex industry chamber of the country, Associated Chamber of Commerce & Industry of India (ASSOCHAM).
• President of the PHD Chamber of Commerce and Industry.
• Director of Central Board, Reserve Bank of India (RBI).
Kushal Pal Singh made Gurgaon an outsourcing destination within ten years, with earthquake-proof office buildings, apartments, shopping malls and leisure facilities. Under his tenure, as the Chairman of DLF, the company went for an initial public offering (IPO) in 2007 and made about US$2.24 billion, one of the largest IPOs in India. Market capitalization of the company increased to $24.5 billion, making Singh and his family one of the richest clans in the world. Jack Welch, the former chairman and CEO of General Electric, said in an interview that Singh was one of the initiators for GE's entry into India.
Awards and recognitions
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (January 2016)|
- Decoration of Officer of the Order of St. Charles, on 4 October 2010, conferred by Prince Albert II of Monaco for his contributions as Honorary Consul General of Monaco in Delhi for the previous two decades.
- Padma Bhusan Award, on 26 January 2010, conferred by Government of India.
- Recognition by Forbes magazine as the richest real estate baron and eighth richest person in the world, on 24 March 2008.
- The Samman Patra Award, in 2000, conferred by Government of India for being one of the top taxpayers of Delhi region.
- Delhi Ratna Award, conferred by Government of Delhi for his valuable contribution towards the development of Delhi.
- A Special Award conferred by NDTV, at the Indian of the Year Award Function held on 17 January 2008, for his contribution towards growth of Indian economy.
- In 2011 he received the Entrepreneur of the Year award at The Asian Awards
K.P. Singh is married to Indira Singh, the daughter of Chaudhary Raghvendra Singh, the founder of DLF Limited. K. P. Singh has one son, Rajiv Singh, and two daughters, Renuka Talwar and Pia Singh. All of his family members, including grandchildren, are now involved with running the family business.
K.P. Singh's son, Rajiv Singh, is Vice Chairman of the DLF group. Rajiv's wife Kavita became an advisor to DLF Commercial Developers Ltd in November 2002. She was also appointed Advisor to DLF Universal Ltd. on 1 June 2011, with a retainership fee of Rs 250,000 per month and other benefits. Rajiv and Kavita have two daughters, Savitri and Anushka, who work for DLF. K.P. Singh's elder daughter Renuka is married to G.S. Talwar, a non-executive director at DLF Ltd. Their son, Rahul, has joined DLF India Ltd as a "senior management trainee." K.P. Singh's younger daughter Pia Singh is a full-time director with DLF. 
- "Kushal Pal Singh". Forbes. Retrieved 2015-09-05.
- "The trials and triumphs of K.P. Singh : Leisure - India Today". Indiatoday.intoday.in. Retrieved 2 September 2015.
- "DLF". Dlf.in. Retrieved 2 September 2015.
- "DLF Chairman K. P. Singh's autobiography launched in Delhi : North, News - India Today". Indiatoday.intoday.in. 2011-11-15. Retrieved 2015-09-05.
- "birthday of k p singh, gurgoan, shakeera, haryana - www.bhaskar.com". www.bhaskar.com. Retrieved 2 September 2015.
- "DLF’s KP Singh Becomes Third Indian Trillionaire". Indianrealtynews.com. Retrieved 2 September 2015.
- "Kushal Pal Singh". Encyclopedia Britannica. Retrieved 2 September 2015.
- "#8 KP Singh - Forbes.com". Forbes.com. Retrieved 2 September 2015.
-  Archived 9 November 2007 at the Wayback Machine
- "K.P. Singh almost sold DLF stake for Rs 26 lakh". Businesstoday.intoday.in. Retrieved 2 September 2015.
- "DLF Chairman K P Singh named Asian Entrepreneur of Year at Asian Awards". timesofindia-economictimes. Retrieved 2 September 2015.
- "Whatever the Odds: The candid story of corporate legend K. P. Singh". Indiatoday.intoday.in. Retrieved 2 September 2015.
- "KP Singh's grandson joins DLF as trainee". Businesstoday.intoday.in. Retrieved 2 September 2015.