Kushiro-shitsugen National Park
|Kushiro-shitsugen National Park
|Area||268.61 square kilometres (103.71 sq mi)|
|Established||31 July 1987|
Kushiro-shitsugen National Park (釧路湿原国立公園? Kushiro-shitsugen Kokuritsu Kōen) is a national park located in the east of the island of Hokkaido, Japan. It was designated as a national park on 31 July 1987. The park is known for its wetlands ecosystems.
Kushiro-shitsugen (Kushiro Wetlands or Kushiro Swamp, Marshland) covers an area of 268.61 square kilometres (103.71 sq mi) on the Kushiro Plain (Kushiro-heiya) and contains the largest tracts of reedbeds in Japan. The Kushiro River (154 kilometres (96 mi)), which originates in Lake Kussharo, meanders through much of the park. During the Ramsar Convention of 1980, in which Japan participated, the park was first registered as a peatland with raised bogs. In 1967, the wetlands (shitsugen) themselves had been designated as a national natural monument. For that reason, access is strictly limited and the landscape, most typical of Hokkaido, has been preserved.
Reeds, sedges, peat moss wetlands, black alder thickets, rivers which bend freely back and forth, groups of lakes and marshes, and other wet ecosystems comprise a varied environment. Kushiro-shitsugen is home to over 600 species of plants. The park is a valuable haven for wild species such as the red-crowned crane (Grus japonensis), huchen (Hucho perryi), Siberian salamander (Salamandrella keyserlingii) and dragonfly (Leucorrhinia intermedia ijimai).
Related cities, towns, and villages
- Kushiro Subprefecture
- Imidas Atlas of Japan, Shueisha
- Teikoku's Complete Atlas of Japan, ISBN 4-8071-0004-1
- "Kushiro Shitsugen National Park". Encyclopedia of Japan. Tokyo: Shogakukan. 2012. OCLC 56431036. Archived from the original on 2007-08-25. Retrieved 2012-06-14.
- "釧路湿原国立公園" [Kushiro Shitsugen National Park]. Dijitaru daijisen (in Japanese). Tokyo: Shogakukan. 2012. OCLC 56431036. Archived from the original on 2007-08-25. Retrieved 2012-06-18.
- Kenkyusha's New Japanese-English Dictionary, ISBN 4-7674-2015-6
- "Kushirogawa". Encyclopedia of Japan. Tokyo: Shogakukan. 2012. OCLC 56431036. Archived from the original on 2007-08-25. Retrieved 2012-06-20.