Kutai Kartanegara Regency
Kutai Kartanegara Regency
Kabupaten Kutai Kartanegara
Bena Benua Etam (Kutai)
(Care About Our Region)
Location within East Kalimantan
|• Regent||Edi Damansyah|
|• Vice Regent||vacant|
|• Total||27,263.10 km2 (10,526.34 sq mi)|
|• Density||23/km2 (59/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+8 (ICST)|
|Area code||(+62) 541|
Kutai Kartanegara Regency (abbreviated as Kukar) is a regency of East Kalimantan province, Indonesia. It has an area of 27,263.10 km² (land) and water area of 4,097 km². The population of the regency was 626,286 at the 2010 Census. Tenggarong is the capital of the regency. New capital of Indonesia will be located in both the Kutai Kartanegara Regency and adjacent North Penajam Paser Regency.
Bukit Bangkirai rainforest
Bukit Bangkirai (Bangkirai Hill) is a 1,500-hectare natural tropical located about 58 kilometers (around 45 minutes by car) from the city of Balikpapan. Plants of the family Dipterocarpaceae dominate in the area, especially Bangkirai trees (Shorea laevis of the genus Shorea) growing to 40–50 meters in height. There are over 120 bird species as well as gibbons (Müller's Bornean gibbon), macaque monkeys (Southern pig-tailed macaques, Crab-eating macaques), Maroon leaf monkeys, Banded pigs, and Banggai crows. Black Orchids (Coelogyne pandurata), among 45 kinds of orchids, are endemic to Bukit Bangkirai.
Mangrove information, research center
East Kalimantan province has developed an 18-hectare plot of land for mangrove information and research center in Sepatin village, in Anggana district, as Bali has done. It will functioning as a research, exhibition, information, breeding as well as education center on mangroves, especially in the Mahakam Delta.
In early 2015 it was announced that part of Kutai Kartanegara Regency had been selected to be a trial 'smart city', the first in Indonesia, based on the Fujisawa Sustainable Smart Town (SST) concept. The aim of the SST concept was to reduce CO2 emissions by 70 percent and reduce consumption of water by 30 percent. The Kutai Kartanegara area was chosen as a trial area because of good investment growth in the region, the extensive area, relatively moderate levels of population density, effective planning in the area, and rich energy resources.
- Kusuma, Hendra (26 August 2019). "Resmi! Jokowi Putuskan Ibu Kota RI Pindah ke Kaltim". detikfinance (in Indonesian). Retrieved 6 January 2020.
- Picheta, Rob (26 August 2019). "Indonesia will build its new capital city in Borneo as Jakarta sinks into the Java Sea". CNN. Retrieved 6 January 2020.
- Biro Pusat Statistik, Jakarta, 2011.
- 'Bukit Bangkirai a rainforest wonderland', The Jakarta Post, 16 June 2007.
- "Visiting Kutai Bukit Bangkirai". Retrieved 28 March 2012.
- "E Kalimantan to build mangrove information, research center". 16 September 2011.
- "Kutai Jadi Contoh Pertama "Smart City" di Indonesia". 23 February 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kutai Kartanegara Regency.|