This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Directed by||A. Venkatesh|
|Produced by||K. C. N. Chandrasekar
|Written by||V. Prabhakar (dialogues)|
|Story by||V. V. Vinayak|
Kota Srinivasa Rao
|Music by||Srikanth Deva|
|Edited by||V. T. Vijayan|
|Distributed by||Deivanai Movie Makers|
Kuthu (English: Punch) is an Indian 2004 Tamil language masala film directed by A. Venkatesh.It starring Silambarasan and Divya Spandana in the lead roles. It is a remake of the Telugu film Dil starring Nitin and Neha Bamb.The music was composed by Srikanth Deva.It was released on 2 April,2004.
The movie is about Gurumoorthy "Guru" (Silambarasan), who falls in love with Anjali (Divya Spandana), and incurs the wrath of her father (Kalabhavan Mani). Whether Guru succeeds in marrying Anjali, with the help of his college mates, forms the rest of the story.
- Silambarasan as Gurumoorthy "Guru".
- Ramya as Anjali.
- Livingston as College principal.
- Kalabhavan Mani as Veerabahu Anjali's father.
- Karunas as Guru's friend.
- Vijayakumar as Guru's father.
- Kota Srinivasa Rao as Anjali's grandfather.
- Manorama as Anjali's grandmother.
- Aishwarya (actress) as Anjali's mother.
- Ramya Krishnan in special appearance in song "Pottu Thaakku".
- Mumtaj in special appearance in song "Otha Viral Kattuna".
- Ashok Raja in special appearance "Otha Viral Kattuna".
After Dhum which was a remake of Kannada film Appu. Venkatesh and Simbhu decided to collaborate for second time with Kuthu being the remake of successful Telugu film Dil. Kannada actress Divya Spandana made her debut in Tamil with this film under the name "Ramya".
A song was picturised with lead pair in studios with an erected set costing Rs 10 lakhs while another song was shot at Thirumayam Kottai near karaikudi with Ramya Krishnan which took three days to complete. The fight scene was shot at SRM College Grounds for 10 days.
Srikanth Deva's tunes (he is music director Deva's son) are catchy and familiar. The re-recording especially in stunt sequences is jarring.
There are eight songs composed by Srikanth Deva.
- "Asaanaa Asaanaa" - Mahalakshmi Iyer, Subeeb Khan
- "En Nilavu" - Prasanna Rao
- "Ennai Theendi Vittai" - Chinmayi, Prasanna Rao
- "Otha Viral Kattuna" - Shankar Mahadevan
- "Nibuna Nibuna" - Sadhana Sargam
- "Pachaikkili Pachaikkili" - Kunal, Srikanthdeva, Srilekha Parthasarathy
- "Pottu Thaakku" - Roshini, Simbu
- "Sapida Vaada" - Malathi, Udit Narayan