Kutikuppala Surya Rao
Kutikuppala Surya Rao
|Alma mater||Andhra Medical College Visakhapatnam|
|Children||Kutikuppala Srujana, Kutikuppala Sri Charan, Kutikuppala Sravana|
|Parent(s)||Kutikuppala Sriramulu, Smt. Sanyasamma|
Rao did his MBBS from Andhra Medical College, MD family medicine at the Postgraduate Institute of Medicine, University of Colombo, doctoral fellowship in HIV medicine from Christian Medical College, Vellore, and MNAMS from National Academy of Medical Sciences, New Delhi. He got his Ph.D. on "Ethical challenges involved in the treatment of HIV/AIDS" at Andhra University. He is fellow of the Royal College of Physicians–London. Rao has spent most of his medical career in clinical research associated with HIV /AIDS disease
Awards and recognition
- Guinness World Record holder for creating the largest HIV/AIDs-awareness Red Ribbon.
- The Padma Shri award from the Government of India In recognition of his distinguished contribution to society.
- The World Health Organisation award in 1989.
- The Mahatma Gandhi Pravasi Samman Award, a rare honour that was presented at the British House of Lords, on September 21, 2015, by Rt Honorable Baroness Verma, Minister of International Development, UK.
Rao has served as an executive council member of Andhra University, vice-chairman of the Jan Shikshan Sansthan, and a national committee member of the AIDS Control Organisation. He has published research papers in medical journals of national and International repute such as BMJ, Applied Medicine, Antiseptic, Indian Practitioner, JIMA.
- Bhattacharjee, Sumit (18 August 2012). "Doctor with a Mission". The Hindu. Chennai. Retrieved 20 February 2015.
- Patnaik, Santosh (2 December 2009). "AIDS Ribbon Enters Guinness Book". The Hindu. Chennai. Retrieved 20 February 2015.
- Press Information Bureau (25 January 2008). "Padma Awards Announced" (Press release). Government of India. Retrieved 20 February 2015.
- "Padma Awards". Hindustan Times. New Delhi. Indo-Asian News Service. 25 January 2008. Retrieved 20 February 2015.
- "Befitting Honour for Susheela: Mridangist Yella, Social Worker Surya Rao, Artist Chetty Get Padma Shri". The Hindu. Chennai. 26 January 2008. Retrieved 20 February 2015.
- "A rare honour for Telugu doctor Kutikuppala Surya Rao". The Hindu. Hyderabad. 11 September 2015. Retrieved 30 September 2015.
- "Focus on Curing HIV patients: Physician Kutikuppala Surya Rao". The Times of India. Mumbai. Retrieved 20 February 2015.