Kuwait national cricket team
|Association||Kuwait Cricket Association|
|International Cricket Council|
|ICC status||Affiliate (1998) |
Associate member (2005)
|WCL||n/a (regional tournaments)|
|First international|| Kuwait v. Bahrain |
(Kuwait City; 30 October 1979)
|As of 14 September 2015|
The Kuwait national cricket team is the team that represents the State of Kuwait in international cricket. The team is organised by the Kuwait Cricket Association, which has been an associate member of the International Cricket Council (ICC) since 2005, having previously been an affiliate member since 1998. Kuwait made its international debut in 1979, but has only played regularly at international level since the early 2000s, appearing regularly in Asian Cricket Council tournaments since then. Beginning in the early 2010s, the side appeared in several World Cricket League events, although it was relegated back to regional level after the 2013 Division Six tournament.
In April 2018, the ICC decided to grant full Twenty20 International (T20I) status to all its members. Therefore, all Twenty20 matches played between Kuwait and other ICC members after 1 January 2019 will be a full T20I. Kuwait is scheduled to play its first T20I match in 2019, after winning the third-place playoff match in the Western sub region qualification group, advancing to the Regional Final of the 2018–19 ICC World Twenty20 Asia Qualifier tournament.
2000 - 2009
In 2004, Kuwait pulled off a series off upsets to finish in third place in that year's ACC Trophy, only just missing out on qualification for the 2005 ICC Trophy. They did qualify for the repêchage tournament in early 2005 in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, in which they finished sixth after losing to the Cayman Islands in a play-off.
In February 2006, Kuwait finished third out of five teams when they hosted the ACC Middle East Cup. In August, they took part in the ACC Trophy, but were unable to reproduce their strong 2004 performance. They were eliminated in the first round when a tie with Hong Kong left them in third place in their group on run rate. A win in this match would have seen them through to the quarter finals.
2010 - present
Kuwait has participated in several World Cricket League tournaments, hosting and winning Division Eight in 2010; winning Division Seven in Botswana in May 2011; and coming third in Division Six in Malaysia in September 2011. Kuwait set one of the lowest ever T20 targets during the 2014 Asian Games.
- 2000: First round
- 2002: First round
- 2004: 3rd place
- 2006: First round
- 2008: 8th place
- 2010: 7th place
- 2012: 7th place
- 2014: 3rd place
- 2010 Division Eight: Champions – promoted
- 2010 Division Seven: Champions – promoted
- 2011 Division Six: 3rd place
- 2013 Division Six: 6th place – relegated to regional tournaments
- 2014: QF
Records and statistics
Statistics from Kuwait in World Cricket League matches and ACC Events
Best bowling figures
- The following list contains the final 15 players in Kuwait's squad for the 2015 ACC Twenty20 Cup:
- Aamir Javed (c)
- Abid Mushtaq
- Ali Zaheer
- Bilal Ahmed
- Faizan Ali
- Haroon Shahid
- Hisham Mirza
- Kashif Sharif
- Khalid Butt
- Mohammad Amin
- Mohammed Ghulam
- Muhammad Irfan
- Raheel Khan
- Sibtain Raza
- Usman Waheed (wk)
- Yasar Idrees
- Kuwait at CricketArchive
- Other matches played by Kuwait – CricketArchive. Retrieved 14 September 2015.
- Kuwait name former South Africa opener Gibbs as new head coach
- "All T20 matches between ICC members to get international status". International Cricket Council. 26 April 2018. Retrieved 1 September 2018.
- "UAE, Qatar and Kuwait qualify for the ICC World Twenty20 Asia Finals". International Cricket Council. Retrieved 27 April 2018.
- Achievements at official website
- 2000 ACC Trophy Archived 22 August 2010 at the Wayback Machine. at CricketEurope
- 2002 ACC Trophy at CricketEurope
- Asian qualifying for the 2005 ICC Trophy Archived 6 February 2012 at the Wayback Machine. at the 2005 ICC Trophy official website
- Scorecard of Cayman Islands v Kuwait, 27 February 2005 at CricketArchive
- Points Table for 2006 ACC Middle East Cup at CricketArchive
- 2006 ACC Trophy Archived 11 May 2008 at the Wayback Machine. at CricketEurope
- 2007 ACC Twenty20 Cup at CricketEurope
- Cricinfo, Accessed May 8 2011
- Cricinfo, Accessed May 8 2011
- Kuwait Squad