Kwame Nkrumah Mausoleum
|Established||1 July 1992|
The mausoleum, designed by Don Arthur, houses the bodies of Dr Kwame Nkrumah and his wife Fathia Nkrumah.
The building is meant to represent an upside down sword, which in Akan culture is a symbol of peace. The mausoleum is clad from top to bottom with Italian marble, with a black star at its apex to symbolize unity. The interior boasts marble flooring and a mini mastaba looking marble grave marker, surrounded by river-washed rocks. A skylight at the top in the mausoleum illuminates the grave.
The mausoleum is surrounded by water, a symbol of life.
A video of the mausoleum can be found here.
- Other modern African leaders mausoleum
- Mausoleum of Mohammed V
- Bourguiba mausoleum
- El Alia Cemetery, Mausoleum of the Late President, Algeria.
- The Dr. John Garang De Mabior mausoleum in Juba, South Sudan.
- Agostinho Neto's Mausoleum in Luanda, Angola.
- Mausolée (Pyramide) du Président Mathieu Kerekou, Natitingou, Benin.
- Omar Bongo's Mausoleum in Franceville, Gabon.
- Léon M'ba's Memorial Mausoleum in Libreville, Gabon.
- Mausoleum of Late President Levy Mwanawasa, Frederick Chiluba and Michael Sata at Embassy Park in Lusaka, Zambia.
- Domoni Mosque Mausoleum Indoor inside first president of Comoros, Ahmed Abdallah's Mausoleum.
- Marien Ngouabi's mausoleum in Brazzaville, The Republic of Congo.
- Pierre Savorgnan de Brazza's mausoleum in Brazzaville, The Republic of Congo.
- Mausoleum of the late president Felix Houphouet-Boigny in Yamoussoukro, Côte d'Ivoire.
- Laurent Kabila's mausoleum in Kinshasa, The Democratic Republic of Congo.
- Abdel Nasser Mosque, is the Mausoleum of Gamal Abdel Nasser, in Cairo, Egypt.
- Unknown Soldier Memorial (Egypt)
- Palm Grove Cemetery , Monrovia, Liberia.
- National Hall, Mausoleum of the Late President William Tubman in Monrovia, Montserrado, Liberia.
- Late President Eyadema's Family Mausoleum in Kara, Togo.
- Kamuzu Banda Mausoleum, in Lilongwe, Malawi.
- Dr. Bingu wa Mutharika, President of Malawi built a mausoleum in which his late first wife and Bingu himself are buried.
- Meles Zenawi's grave in Holy Trinity Cathedral, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- King Sobhuza II Memorial Park, Lobamba, Swaziland.
- Julius Nyerere's mausoleum in Butiama Cemetery, Tanzania.
- Amilcar Cabral's mausoleum in Bissau, Guinea-Bissau.
- Mausoleum of the Late President of Kenya Mzee Jomo Kenyatta in Nairobi, Kenya.
- Camayanne Mausoleum and contains the tombs of Guinea national hero Samori Ture, Sekou Toure and Alfa Yaya.
- Nnamdi Azikiwe's Burial Site In Onitsha, Nigeria .
- Abubakar Tafawa Balewa's tomb, Bauchi, Nigeria.
- Mausoleum of Obafemi Awolowo, Ogun State, Nigeria.
- Mausoleum of Sani Abacha, Kano, Nigeria.
- National Heroes Acre in Harare, Zimbabwe.
- Kwame Nkrumah Mausoleum, Ghana at www.odyssei.com.
- Hess, Janet (2000). "Imagining Architecture: The Structure of Nationalism in Accra, Ghana". Africa Today. 47: 35–58 – via JSTOR.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kwame Nkrumah Mausoleum.|
|This article about a Ghanaian building or structure related topic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|