Kwon (권) is a Korean family name. Some sources list as many 56 clans, but most of them were merged with the Andong Kwon clan under the Sijeung-gong faction soon after the establishment of the Republic of Korea.
Andong Kwon clan
The Andong Kwon clan was founded by a Silla aristocrat named Kim Haeng (金幸) who helped Wang Geon, the founder of the Goryeo Kingdom, establish himself as ruler in 918. The new king bestowed upon Kim Haeng a new surname: Kwon (權), meaning ‘authority’ or 'power'. Wang Geon also gave the aristocrat taxation rights for the towns in the Andong region, hence the clan name. The Andong Kwon clan has one of the oldest extant printed genealogies in East Asia, and this clan became the most famous family in Korea through Goryeo and Joseon kingdom.
Yecheon Kwon clan
One account has it that the Yecheon Kwon clan’s original surname was Heun (昕). However, in 1197, the name Heun (昕) was chosen as the posthumous name for the Goryeo kingdom's King Myeongjong. To avoid the use of a king’s posthumous name, the Heun(昕) family were directed to change their name to Kwon (權). The head of the Heun clan at this time became Kwon So, the founding ancestor of the Yecheon Kwon clan. Approximately two thirds of all present-day Kwon clan members live in the Gyeongsang provinces. All members of the Heun(昕) clan disappeared before the founding of Joseon.
Another account states that the Yecheon Heun (昕) clan's Jeoksin, Suchang, Seungdan, and Seungjo married into the Andong Kwon Clan and afterward their descendants took their mothers' surname Kwon (權). Yecheon Kwon clan called an Obongmun (五福門) in late Goryeo.
- Yul Kwon (born 1975), American reality television star, winner of Survivor: Cook Islands
- Kwon Sang-woo (born 1976), South Korean actor
- Kwon Yul (actor) (born Kwon Se-in, 1982), South Korean actor
- Sol Bi (born Kwon Ji-an, 1984), South Korean actress and singer, former member of Typhoon
- BoA (born Kwon Boa, 1986), South Korean actress, dancer, composer, model, singer and songwriter
- G-Dragon (born Kwon Ji-yong, 1988), South Korean musician, leader of Big Bang
- Kwon Yuri (born 1989), South Korean singer and actress, member of Girls' Generation
- Kwon Nara (born 1991), South Korean singer, member of Hello Venus
- Kwon Ri-se (1991–2014), South Korean singer, member of Ladies' Code
- Dean (South Korean singer) (born Kwon Hyuk, 1992), South Korean R&B singer, songwriter, and producer
- Kwon Mina (born 1993), South Korean singer and actress, member of AOA
- Kwon So-hyun (born 1994), South Korean singer and dancer, former member of 4Minute
- Kwon Soon-young (born 1996), stage name Hoshi, member of South Korean boy group Seventeen
- Kwon Chae-won (born 1999), stage name Eunchae, member of South Korean girl group DIA
- Kwon Eunbin (born 2000), South Korean singer, member of South Korean girl group CLC
- Kwon Yul (1537–1599), Joseon Dynasty general
- Kwon Jeong-saeng (1937–2007), South Korean children's author
- Min Kwon (Korean name Kwon Min-kyung), American pianist
- Kwon Oh-hyun, South Korean businessman, CEO of Samsung
- "Kwon Name Meaning". Ancestry.com. Ancestry. Retrieved 24 January 2015.
|This page or section lists people with the surname Kwon. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.|