Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Polytechnic Institute
Seal of the Kyiv Polytechnic Institute
|Campus||395 acres (1.60 km2)|
The National Technical University of Ukraine "Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Polytechnic Institute" (NTUU "KPI") (Ukrainian: Національний технічний університет України «Київський політехнічний інститут імені Ігоря Сікорського») is a major university in Kiev, Ukraine. In January 2012 Webometrics Ranking KPI made it into top 1,000 – taking 957th place out of 20,300 universities, 510th (February 2013).
The institute was founded in 1898. At that time it had four departments: Mechanical, Chemical, Agricultural, and Civil Engineering. The first enrolment constituted 360 students. The leading Russian scientists Dmitri Mendeleev, Nikolai Zhukovsky and Kliment Arkadyevich Timiryazev gave substantial scientific and organizational assistance in the founding of the institute.
Viktor Kyrpychov was the first rector of the KPI. It was largely due to Kyrpychov's efforts that such professors like V.P. Yermakov, S.M. Reformatsky, M.I. Konovalov or Vladimir Zworykin became members of the first faculty.
In 1930, the Kyiv National University of Construction and Architecture (KNUCA) was established on the basis of factory and communal construction branch of the Kyiv Polytechnic Institute (KPI) and the Architectural faculty of the Kyiv Art Institute.
- Educational and Scientific Complex "Institute of Applied Systems Analysis" - ESC "IASA" (connected with EPAM Systems, SAP AG, and SAS Institute)
- Educational and Research Institute of Telecommunication Systems - ITS
- Institute of Energy Saving and Energy Management - IEE
- Institute of Special Communication and Information Security - ISIS
- Mechanics and Machine-Building Institute - MMI
- Publishing and Printing Institute - VPI
- Physics and Engineering Institute - PTI (connected with Sun Microsystems and IBM)
- Inter-branch Institute of Post-graduate Education
- Institute of Pre-admission education and Vocational Guidance
- Aviation and Space
- Applied Mathematics (connected with Freescale)
- Biotechnology and Biomedical Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Electricity and Energy Engineering
- Engineering & Chemistry
- Engineering & Physics
- Heat-and-power Engineering (connected with EPAM Systems)
- Informatics and Computer Engineering (connected with Cisco Systems)
- Inter-university Medical Engineering Faculty (IMEF)
- Management and Marketing
- Physical Training and Sports
- Physics and Mathematics
The university has two campuses the central one being located in Kiev, and the other in town of Slavutych.
The Kiev campus of the university is located near the city centre in a park named after the university.
Here almost 9,000 of non-Kievite students are accommodated in 21 dormitories, 3 of them for married students. The life conditions at the university domes is a matter of numerous complaints of their inhabitants usually living in an 18 square meters rooms by 4 people in the room.
The institute has an outpatient medical department for employers and students.
The Institute also considers organized leisure a very important factor in bringing up young specialists.
The Knowledge Square is the centre of the entire KPI complex, measuring approx. 105 x 100 meters. The Knowledge square is connected to one of the main city streets - Peremoha (Victory) avenue. Meetings, festivals, and graduation ceremonies take place at the square.
The University also has an assembly hall with 1,750 seats. It was opened in August 1984.
Various sport facilities also exist at the institute. There are training grounds, soccer fields, volleyball and basketball courts at student disposal. There are many nationally rated athletes among the students of this institute.
Some Institutes were organized on the KPI basis. Among them are: the Civil Engineering Institute. Technological Institute of Light and Food Industry, the Institute of civil Aviation, Automobile and Road Building Institute, Agricultural (now Agricultural Academy) and others. In 1934 - 1944 the KPI was called an Industrial Institute.
Other Labs & Organisations
- Scientific Society of Students and Post-graduates
- Scientific-industrial laboratory DIDAKTIK
- UNESCO Chair in Higher Technical Education, Applied System Analysis and Informatics
- State Polytechnic Museum
- University Interclub
- University Library
70% of the KPI teachers have scientific degrees. Among them there are Academicians and Corresponding Members of the Ukrainian Academy of Sciences, Professors, and Merited Scientists. The language of instruction is predominantly Ukrainian, with options of Russian and English also available.
At present the number of students at the KPI more than 36,000. Approximately 400 of them are international students. In this way students, especially those who live in a hostel, have a social life with their foreign fellow students and a chance to learn more about other cultures, people and ideas. Over 4,500 students graduate from the KPI every year. The diploma is accepted by the European Union. The KPI has a preparatory department for foreigners. There is a possibility to study English and at the same time learn Russian.
Full-time students attend the school for 5 years and 6 months; part-time - 5 years and 10 months.
The school offers 68 majors and 70 minors at its 3 branches. There are 16 departments and a college, including the following:
- Department of Informatics and Computer Engineering that offer courses on Electron Instrument Engineering, Cybernetics, and Control engineering and Computer engineering, among others.
- Electric Power Engineering Automation dept that offers courses Electrical Networks and Electric Systems, Central Power Plants, High Voltage Technique, and Cybernetics of Electrical Systems.
- Electro-Acoustic Faculty offering courses in Hydroacoustics Sound Recording, Measuring Techniques, and Microprocessors.
- Faculty of Radioengineering
- Physical engineering Department offering courses on Metallurgy, Metals and Alloys, Powder Metallurgy, and others.
The Summer School “Achievements and Applications of Contemporary Informatics, Mathematics and Physics” (Summer School AACIMP) (Ukrainian: Літня Школа “Досягнення та застосування сучасної інформатики, математики та фізики”; Russian: Летняя Школа “Достижения и приложения современной информатики, математики и физики”) - is an annual international scientific-educational project of volunteers from the university's Student Science Association  of National Technical University of Ukraine “Kyiv Polytechnic Institute”. It is aimed at an international audience of advanced students, postgraduates and young scientists. There are usually about 100 participants.
It has been traditionally held each August since 2006. As a rule, the duration of the project is two weeks.
A large number of prominent people worked and studied at the KPI: E.O.Paton, the inventor of electric welding; M. I. Konovalov, a well-known chemist; I. P. Bardin, Ukraine's greatest metallurgist; A. M. Lyulka, USSR's premier designer of jet engines; rocket scientist Sergey Korolyov; creator of Sikorsky Helicopters, the well-known inventor Igor Sikorsky, well-known scientist in the field of fuel combustion and protection of the atmosphere from industrial pollution Isaak Sigal; Boris Yakovlevich Bukreev, a prominent mathematician known for his works in complex functions, differential equations, and non-Euclidean geometry. President of the First Exam Board in chemistry faculty was Dmitri Mendeleev.
Also must be mentioned: Stephen Timoshenko, reputed to be the father of modern engineering mechanics; Vladimir Chelomei, Soviet mechanics scientist and rocket engineer; Aleksandr Mikulin, Soviet aircraft engine designer and chief designer in the Mikulin OKB, Oleg Tozoni, the head of the Department of Electrodynamics at the Cybernetics Institute of the Academy of Science.
The Kyiv Polytechnic Institute has foreign economic relations with 45 foreign partners from 12 countries of the world. 29 agreements and 17 contracts have been concluded and 77 protocols have been signed: KPI received the certificate as a participant of foreign economic relations.
The most active international scientific and technological cooperation is carried out by the chairs of the institute with the partners from Poland, Germany, Bulgaria, Denmark and Lebanon. Lately the relations with China, United States, Italy, Vietnam and Spain have become more active. The institute carries out the exchange of students according to the agreement on cooperation with the University of Oregon (United States).
KPI was the first university of Ukraine that joined the community of the European Universities, and signed the visionary "Magna Charta of the European Universities" (“Magna Charta Universitatum”) in September 2003.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to National Technical University of Ukraine.|
- Otto von Guericke University of Magdeburg (Germany)
- University of Klagenfurt (Austria)
- University of Miskolc (Hungary)
- University of Antwerp (Belgium)
- Iowa State University (USA)
- University of Manchester (Great Britain)
- Anhui University of Technology (China)
- University of Oregon (USA)
- University of Wisconsin-Madison (USA)
National Technical University of Ukraine “Kyiv Polytechnic Institute” positions in national and international ratings of the best Ukrainian educational institutions, employers ratings, etc.
- Ukrainian university academic rating «TOP – 200 Ukraine» - 1st place. (http://www.euroosvita.net)
- Ukrainian employers rating «Compass» - 1st place. (http://www.yourcompass.org)
- World universities ranking “Webometrics” – 713rd place (2012), 510th (2013) (http://www.webometrics.info)
- QS World University Ranking – 601+ (http://www.topuniversities.com)
- International scientific journal "Radioelectronics and Communications Systems" (English version), "Izvestiya Vysshikh Uchebnykh Zavedenii. Radioelektronika" (Russian version)
- International scientific journal "System Research and Information Technologies"
- "Naukovi visti NTUU КPI"
- "Visnyk NTUU KPІ : Informatics, operation and computer science"
- http://kpi.ua/en See official English page Archived February 12, 2011, at WebCite
- Інформаційний портал Факультету Прикладної Математики НТУУ "КПІ" Archived February 12, 2011, at WebCite
- Факультет біотехнології і біотехніки НТУУ "КПІ" Офіційний сайт Archived February 12, 2011, at WebCite
- ФІОТ | Національний технічний університет України Archived February 12, 2011, at WebCite
- Зварювальний факультет НТУУ "КПІ" Офіційний сайт Archived February 12, 2011, at WebCite
- "Best university in Ukraine". MIGnews.com.ua.
- Summer School page on Student Science Association web-page
- National Technical University of Ukraine page
- The article about the Summer School AACIMP in IFORS-2010
- Ukraine crisis: EU deal to be signed on 27 June, BBC News (19 June 2014)
- (in Ukrainian) Top 10 facts about the new Governor NBU - Valeriya Hontaryeva, Телеканал новин 24 (19 June 2014)
- Kyiv Polytechnic Institute
- Kyiv Polytechnic Institute in Ukrainian
- Ukrayna Ulusal Teknik Üniversitesi Kiev Politeknik Enstitüsü
- Blog KPI
- Student Council Campus in Kyiv Polytechnic Institute in Ukrainian
- Campus Map