Kyjov (Hodonín District)
- See other locations named Kyjov.
|Elevation||192 m (630 ft)|
|Area||29.88 km2 (11.54 sq mi)|
|Density||386 / km2 (1,000 / sq mi)|
|- summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Postal code||697 01|
|Wikimedia Commons: Kyjov|
Kyjov (Czech pronunciation: [ˈkɪjof]; Latin: Gaya, German: Gaya or Geyen) is a town in the South Moravian Region of the Czech Republic. It has around 12,000 inhabitants. Kyjov is famous for its folk festival which takes place every four years. Kyjov participated and won silver in the 2008 Entente Florale
The villages Bohuslavice, Boršov and Nětčice are administrative parts of Kyjov.
The first mention of the village is from 1126 as a local trading centre. The town endured fires, plagues and sieges from the Ottoman Empire in the Middle Ages. During the Hussite wars the town leaned to Utraquism. It was under the rule of the Olomouc monastery until 1548, when the town achieved recognition as a King's town.
Until 1918, GAYA IN MÄHREN - KYJOV (previously GAYA or GAIA) was part of the Austrian monarchy (Austria side after the compromise of 1867), head of the district with the same name, one of the 34 Bezirkshauptmannschaften in Moravia.
Kyjov is a centre of regional folklore. Slovácký Rok (Moravian Slovakian Year Festival) – the oldest Moravian folklore festival, has taken place there since 1921.
- Radola Gajda (1892–1948), military commander and politician.
- Bohumil Sekla (1901–1987), professor, biologist - Charles University.
- Miroslav Tichý (1926-2011), painter, photographer.
- Vladimír Vašíček (1919–2003), painter.
- Silvia Saint (1976), porn actress.
- "Download CZ-Kyjov-Web.pdf Free download from www.entente-florae.eu". Retrieved 24 May 2012.
- "Kyjov: Entente florale se dostává do povědomí veřejnosti". Retrieved 25 May 2012.
- Die postalischen Abstempelungen auf den österreichischen Postwertzeichen-Ausgaben 1867, 1883 und 1890, Wilhelm KLEIN, 1967
- Official website (Czech)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kyjov.|
|This South Moravian Region location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|