This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Type||State coeducational secondary|
|Local authority||South Ayrshire Council|
|Head Teacher||Mrs Mary Byrne|
|Years taught||S1 - S6|
|Age||11 to 18|
|Colour(s)||Royal Blue, Light Blue|
Kyle Academy is a state-run secondary school in Ayr, Scotland, run by South Ayrshire Council. It is a non-denominational, co-educational school, serving some of the southern part of Ayr and some of the small surrounding villages such as Coylton & Drongan.
The current Head Teacher of Kyle Academy is Mary Bryne who took over the position of Head Teacher from Lyndsay McRoberts, who was also joint Head Teacher of nearby Ayr Academy. The Head Teacher is supported in the management and leadership through the support of three Depute Head Teachers: Elaine Reiley, Executive Depute Head who deputises for the Head Teacher in their absence, Oognagh Browne and Lorna Harper. McRoberts was replaced in February 2018 as Head Teacher, following her recent appointment as Head Teacher at Duncanrig Secondary School in East Kilbride.
Kyle Academy ranked as the 33rd best state school in Scotland in 2017.
Kyle Academy opened in 1979. and started with 120 First Year pupils. As of September 2015[update] it has an enrollment of 817 pupils, in 6 year groups. Its main feeder schools are Forehill Primary and Ayr Grammar Primary.
The school building itself is situated next to the River Ayr, west of the A77 trunk road. Prior to becoming the site of Kyle Academy, the site was rural and farm land and at some period in its history the land was used for mining. In addition, there was also a dye works and fever hospital in the vicinity close to where Kyle Academy is now situated. Nearby, the Kyle Union poorhouse in Ayr was built in 1857-60 on Holmston Road, with the first Governor and Matron being appointed in April 1860. The buildings provided accommodation for 150 inmates.
In 2017, Kyle Academy was ranked as the 33rd best state school in Scotland. Kyle Academy was one of two secondary schools in South Ayrshire to rank within the top 50 – Marr College in Troon was ranked at 38.
As part of South Ayrshire's Public–private partnership, an extension was constructed in 2007. The separate new annex holds a 300-seat, multimedia equipped assembly hall/theatre, E-Learning suite and meeting rooms, shows can often be performed here.
Current Management Structure
Senior Management Team (SMT)
Below is the current management structure of Kyle Academy as at 22 November 2017. McRoberts has however been appointed the new Head Teacher at Duncanrig Secondary School in East Kilbride, expected to take up post sometime in 2018. In February 2018, Oonagh Browne, one of the current Depute Head Teachers at Kyle Academy, was appointed Head Teacher of nearby Queen Margaret Academy following the retirement of current Head Teacher, Antony Flynn.
|Role||Post Holder||Areas of Responsibility|
|Head Teacher||Mrs. Mary Bryne||Strategic Planning, Self-Evaluation, Standards and Quality Reporting |
Curriculum Planning, Learning and Teaching, Student voice / Learning Councils
Primary / secondary liaison, Parent Council Complaints, School ethos, Equality and Fairness
Charities, Communications with Parents / Carers, Recruitment and Selection
Delegated Management of Resources, Staffing and Staff Welfare, School Handbook, Staff Manual Admissions
|Executive Depute Head Teacher||Mrs. Elaine Reiley||Year Head of S2 and S4, Deputising for the Head Teacher in her absence, Pupil Support Coordinator, 16+ Coordinator |
Health and Well Being Coordinator, Education for Work, Promoting personal achievement, School environment
Faculty Head for P.E., H.E. and Pupil Support
|Depute Head Teacher||Mr. Lee Gardner||Year Head of S3 & S6, School timetable & Curriculum Planning, Literacy across Learning |
Learning and Teaching, Assessment, Kyle Association, Primary / secondary liaison
Pupil Target Setting, tracking and mentoring
Faculty Head for Modern Languages, social subjects, Art and Music
|Depute Head Teacher||Mrs. Lorna Harper||Year Head of S1 & S5, SQA Co-ordination/Prelims etc., Numeracy across Learning |
Curriculum for Excellence Assessment and Moderation, Inter-disciplinary learning Links with Kyle Parents’ Association
Support for Learners, Education of sustainability, CLPL, Probationers and Students
Staff absence Cover, Health and Safety
Faculty Head for Business Studies, Computing, Design and Technology and RMPS
Principal Teachers of Subjects
- Mr. S Boal (Art and Design)
- Mrs. S Boal (PT Guidance)
- Mrs. A Fergusson (PT Guidance)
- Mrs. C Gardiner (Biology)
- Mrs. K Mahaffy (PT Guidance)
- Mr. M Kinnon (Business Studies)
- Mr. P Semple (Chemistry and Phyiscs)
- Mr. S Hunter (Computing)
- Mrs. J Stewart (English)
- Mrs. D Dorrans (PT Guidance)
- Mrs. S Semple (RMPS and Geography)
- Mrs. C Raleigh (Modern Studies and History)
- Mrs. E Anderson (PT Guidance)
- Mrs. J Morrison (Home Economics)
- Mrs. D Lake (Maths)
- Mrs. J Donnelly (Modern Languages)
- Mrs. L Williamson (Music)
- Mrs. C Blackadder (Physical Education)
- Mrs. S Quigley (Pupil Support)
Notable Former Pupils
- Katy Clark, politician
- Ryan Stevenson, footballer
- Niall Paterson, Sky News Anchorman[better source needed]
- "Pupil rolls" (PDF). www.south-ayrshire.gov.uk.
- "Kyle Academy, South Ayrshire".
- "kyleacademy - OUR STAFF". kyleacademy.
- Wilson, Stuart (6 December 2017). "Schools to ditch joint head teacher as top name leaves".
- "Revealed: The top 50 state schools in Scotland for 2017". HeraldScotland.
- "Kyle Academy". www.scottisharchitects.org.uk. Retrieved 8 November 2016.
- "Parentzone: My school: Find a school: Kyle Academy". Education Scotland. Retrieved 8 November 2016.
- "Schools: Secondary Schools: Kyle Academy". South Ayrshire Council. Retrieved 8 November 2016.
- "kyleacademy - HISTORY". kyleacademy.
- "Files" (PDF). www.heraldscotland.com.
- "Kyle Academy Annexe, part of the overall Ayrshire Schools PPP". Urban Realm. 8 November 2016.
- "Appointment of new Headteacher for Duncanrig - Duncanrig Secondary School". 22 November 2017.
- "HT letter" (PDF). www.queenmargaret.sayr.sch.uk. 2018.
- Sky News presenters and editorial team
- "Niall Paterson - Sky News Journalist - Muck Rack". muckrack.com.
- Official website
- Kyle Academy's page on Scottish Schools Online
- Kyle Academy on South Ayrshire Council website
- HM Inspectorate of Education: Kyle Academy Inspection Report, 15 June 2004