Kyle Gass Band
Kyle Gass Band
|Also known as||KGB|
|Origin||Los Angeles, California, USA|
|Labels||Space Horse Records (North America), SPV GmbH (Europe)|
|Associated acts||Tenacious D, Trainwreck|
|Past members||Nate Rothacker|
Kyle Gass Band (KGB) is an American rock band that was formed in Los Angeles, California in 2011. Fronted by Tenacious D acoustic guitarist Kyle Gass and vocalist and guitarist Mike Bray. The backing band consists of electric guitarist John Konesky (also of Tenacious D), bassist Jason Keene, and drummer Tim Spier. The band has released two albums - Kyle Gass Band (2013) and Thundering Herd (2016).
The band signed with their first record label in 2015, SPV GmbH in Europe, who re-released their 2013 album. Despite being an American band, the Kyle Gass Band have a larger European presence as they regularly tour festivals and large concerts throughout Europe.
Formation and beginnings (2011–2013)
Kyle Gass Band was formed in January 2011, when Gass was asked to open for Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers guitarist Mike Campbell. Gass and Konesky were both of Tenacious D and former members of Trainwreck, Gass's former band which broke up in early 2011. Mike Bray was hand-selected by Gass to front the Kyle Gass Band. Mike came to Los Angeles from Mahomet, Illinois in 2007 and formed the 'Band Of Bigfoot' quartet, where each member dressed up as bigfoot. After doing some shows in the Pacific Northwest opening for Trainwreck in 2009 and '10, Gass noticed talent in Bray, and invited him to be the lead vocalist. Bassist Jason Keene was picked for the group, an old friend of Gass. The drumming position in the band was originally filled by Trainwreck's Nate Rothacker from 2011-2013, it was then given to Jamie Douglass in 2013 and then given to Tim Spier in mid-2014.
The band recorded their first material throughout 2011 and some recordings in 2012, with their self-titled debut album releasing independently in July 2013. The album was re-released on SPV GmbH in April 2015 for Europe. In June 2015, the band released their first music video for "Our Job to Rock" with the Jash Network. In September 2016, their second album, Thundering Herd was released in Europe, and in November 2016 worldwide.
The KGB played their first gig at the 2011 NAMM Show opening for Mike Campbell in early January. They played their first independent show at DiPiazza's in Los Angeles on the 18th June 2011. As of 2017, they have held seven European tours since 2014, covering fourteen different countries.
- Kyle Gass Band (2013)
- Thundering Herd (2016)
- NAMM 2013 Promotional CD (2013)
- Our Job to Rock (2015)
- Mike Bray – lead vocals, guitar (2011–present)
- Kyle Gass – lead acoustic guitar, vocals, flute (2011–present)
- John Konesky – lead electric guitar, backing vocals (2011–present)
- Jason Keene – bass, harmonica (2011–present)
- Tim Spier - drums (2014–present)
Live Music Archive albums
These releases are a series of live albums released with the explicit permission of the Kyle Gass Band. These live shows have been recorded and released through Live Music Archive and are available for free digital download.
|May 1, 2015||Camden Underworld||Camden, United Kingdom||600||European Invasion Tour|
- "The Kyle Gass Band". The Kyle Gass Band. Retrieved August 20, 2011.
- "Kyle Gass". Biography. The Kyle Gass Band. Retrieved August 20, 2011. Note: User must manually select 'Kyle Gass'.
- "Mike Bray". Biography. The Kyle Gass Band. Retrieved August 20, 2011. Note: User must manually select 'Mike Bray'.
- "Just finished..." The Kyle Gass Band. Facebook. December 17, 2011. Retrieved January 16, 2012.
- "Internet Archive Search creator Tenacious D". Internet Archive. Retrieved 2008-03-20.