|Los Angeles Dodgers|
Born: August 12, 1989|
|August 23, 2014, for the Detroit Tigers|
|MLB statistics |
(through 2016 season)
|Earned run average||5.06|
Kyle Eric Lobstein (born August 12, 1989) is an American professional baseball pitcher in the Los Angeles Dodgers organization. He made his Major League Baseball (MLB) debut with the Detroit Tigers in 2014, and has also played for the Pittsburgh Pirates.
Lobstein is a native of Flagstaff, Arizona, and attended Coconino High School. As a 9-year old, Kyle was coached in youth basketball by future ESPN and Comcast SportsNet Houston anchor Steve Bunin.
The Tampa Bay Rays selected Lobstein in the second round of the 2008 Major League Baseball Draft. Lobstein was selected in the 2012 Rule 5 draft by the New York Mets, and traded that same day to the Detroit Tigers.
The Tigers added Lobstein to their 40-man roster on November 20, 2013. On August 23, 2014, the Tigers promoted Lobstein to the major leagues before a doubleheader against the Minnesota Twins. Prior to being called up, Lobstein was 9–11 with a 4.07 ERA and a 1.479 WHIP in 26 games with the Triple-A Toledo Mud Hens. Lobstein made his debut in the first game of the doubleheader, pitching 5 2⁄3 innings, allowing three runs on four hits, while walking four, and striking out three.
Lobstein made his first major league start on August 28, against the New York Yankees. He pitched six innings, allowing two runs, one earned, on four hits and one walk, while earning a no-decision. Following the game, Lobstein was optioned back to Triple-A Toledo. On September 2, Lobstein was recalled from Triple-A, and made his second major league start of the season that night against the Cleveland Indians. Lobstein pitched 5 1⁄3 innings, allowing two runs on five hits, while walking three and striking out a career-high ten batters. On September 7, Lobstein pitched 5 2⁄3 innings, allowing one run on four hits, while walking two and striking out three, to earn his first major league win over the San Francisco Giants.
Lobstein opened the 2015 season in the Tigers rotation due to Justin Verlander not being able to start the season with a right triceps strain. Lobstein had a 3–5 record, with a 4.34 ERA and a 1.448 WHIP in eight starts before being placed on the disabled list with left shoulder soreness on May 24, 2015. During his rehab assignment, he pitched two starts for the Class-A Advanced Lakeland Flying Tigers and four for the Triple-A Toledo Mud Hens. He went 0–3 with a 5.68 ERA between the two stops. The Tigers activated Lobstein from the disabled list on September 3, 2015. During the 2015 season, Lobstein went 3–8 with a 5.94 ERA and a 1.586 WHIP in 13 outings, including 11 starts with the Tigers. He was designated for assignment by the Tigers on December 18, 2015.
On December 21, 2015, Lobstein was traded to the Pittsburgh Pirates in exchange for cash considerations. Through 14 games with the Pirates in 2016, Lobstein recorded a 3.96 ERA over 25 innings. He gave up 11 earned runs on 25 hits while walking 12 batters. On August 30, 2016, Lobstein was designated for assignment.
On August 31, 2016, Lobstein was traded to the Baltimore Orioles for minor league pitcher Zach Phillips. He was designated for assignment that same day when the Orioles acquired Drew Stubbs. He was sent outright to the Triple-A Norfolk Tides on September 3, where he pitched in one game before their season ended. He elected free agency on October 5.
Toros de Tijuana
On March 20, 2018, Lobstein signed with the Toros de Tijuana of the Mexican Baseball League. Lobstein finished out the Spring Tournament of the season, recording a 4-2 record and a 2.95 ERA across 11 starts.
Los Angeles Dodgers
A finesse pitcher, Lobstein relies on a mid to high 80's fastball. He also throws a cutter, changeup and a curveball.
- Flagstaff’s Kyle Lobstein Gets His First Major League Win KAFF-FM
- Lowe, John (December 6, 2012). "Rule 5 draft: Tigers trade for 2B Jeff Kobernus, LHP Kyle Lobstein | Detroit Free Press". Detroit Free Press. Retrieved May 16, 2013.
- Berry, Adam (February 19, 2013). "Lobstein striving to make big league jump". MLB.com. Retrieved May 16, 2013.
- Slagter, Josh (November 20, 2013). "Detroit Tigers add 7 players to 40-man roster, including pitchers Kyle Lobstein, Jose Valdez". MLive. Retrieved November 20, 2013.
- Iott, Chris (August 23, 2013). "Detroit Tigers call up Kyle Lobstein, Patrick McCoy from Toledo; Robbie Ray, Ian Krol sent down". MLive. Retrieved August 23, 2014.
- Slovin, Matt (August 27, 2014). "Lobstein's first MLB start comes in key tilt vs. Yanks". MLB.com. Retrieved August 27, 2014.
- Bauman, Mike (August 28, 2014). "Lobstein just what the doctor ordered". MLB.com. Retrieved August 28, 2014.
- Dulik, Brian (September 2, 2014). "Hurlers Lobstein, Ray, Ryan, Farmer called up". MLB.com. Retrieved September 2, 2014.
- Dulik, Brian (September 3, 2014). "J.D.'s late homer keeps Tigers half-game back of KC". MLB.com. Retrieved September 3, 2014.
- Beck, Jason (September 7, 2014). "Lobstein's first MLB win aids Tigers' playoff chase". MLB.com. Retrieved September 7, 2014.
- Zúñiga, Alejandro (May 24, 2015). "Lobstein to DL with sore shoulder; Machado recalled". MLB.com. Retrieved May 24, 2015.
- Beck, Jason (September 3, 2015). "Lobstein activated, will start opener vs. Tribe". MLB.com. Retrieved September 3, 2015.
- Iott, Chris (December 18, 2015). "Detroit Tigers designate Kyle Lobstein for assignment to make room for Mike Aviles". MLive. Retrieved December 18, 2015.
- Beck, Jason (December 21, 2015). "Tigers trade Lobstein to Pirates for cash". MLB.com. Retrieved December 21, 2015.
- Meoli, Jon (August 31, 2016). "Orioles add outfielder Drew Stubbs, trade for Michael Bourn on eventful waiver trade deadline day". Retrieved August 31, 2016.
- "Orioles' Kyle Lobstein: Designated for assignment Wednesday". August 31, 2016. Retrieved August 31, 2016.
- "Orioles' Kyle Lobstein: Outrighted to Triple-A". September 3, 2016. Retrieved October 11, 2016.
- Frisaro, Joe (November 17, 2016). "Marlins sign 5, including 3 lefty relievers". MLB.com. Retrieved November 17, 2016.