Long at Bears training camp in 2014
|No. 75 Chicago Bears|
|Date of birth:||December 5, 1988|
|Place of birth:||Ivy, Virginia|
|Height:||6 ft 6 in (1.98 m)|
|Weight:||320 lb (145 kg)|
|High school:||Charlottesville (VA) St. Anne's-Belfield|
|NFL Draft:||2013 / Round: 1 / Pick: 20|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2015|
Kyle Howard Long (born December 5, 1988) is an American football guard for the Chicago Bears of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football for the University of Oregon. Long was drafted by the Bears in the first round of the 2013 NFL Draft.
Long was born in Ivy, Virginia. He attended St. Anne's-Belfield School in Charlottesville, Virginia. He played both baseball and football. He was selected to the 2008 U.S. Army All-American Bowl. He was drafted by the Chicago White Sox in the 23rd round of the 2008 Major League Baseball Draft, but did not sign and attended Florida State University.
In January 2009, Long left Florida State for academic reasons following an arrest for DWI. In 2010, Long enrolled at Saddleback College and returned to playing football. During his first year he played defensive end, recording 16 tackles and one quarterback sack. In 2011 he switched to the offensive line. On December 18, 2011, he committed to play for the Oregon Ducks football team, and subsequently transferred to the University of Oregon. During the 2012 season, he started ten of twelve games for the Ducks on the offensive line. He appealed for an extra year of college eligibility, but his appeal was denied by the NCAA.
|Ht||Wt||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 6 in||313 lb||4.94 s||4.63 s||7.83 s||28 in||8 ft 11 in|
|All values from NFL Scouting Combine|
Long was selected by the Chicago Bears with the 20th overall pick in the 2013 NFL Draft. He is the first guard to be drafted by the Bears in the first round since Roger Davis in 1960. Long signed with the Bears on May 17, the last of the 2013 Bears draft class to sign.
Long attended the rookie minicamp from May 10–12, but skipped much of the offseason program due to a league rule prohibiting rookies from working out until their college class graduates; Long returned on June 17. Long started the 2013 season opener against the Cincinnati Bengals at right guard, becoming the first rookie in team history to start a season opener at the position in the Super Bowl era. On January 8, 2014, Long was named to Pro Football Focus' All-Rookie Team. He was subsequently named to NFL.com's All-Rookie Team on January 15. On January 20, 2014, he earned a spot in the 2014 Pro Bowl due to the injury of original Pro Bowl left guard Mike Iupati in the 2014 NFC Championship Game. Long became the first Bears rookie to make the Pro Bowl since Johnny Knox in 2009.
He made the Pro Bowl the following season.
On March 10, 2016, the Bears signed right tackle Bobby Massie from the Arizona Cardinals, and Long was moved back to guard. On April 15, 2016, the Bears exercised the fifth-year option on Long's rookie deal, a move that keeps Long under contract through 2017.
On September 7, 2016, Long signed a four-year contract extension with the Bears through 2021.
- "NFL Draft Scout". NFL Draft Scout. 2006-09-21. Retrieved 2013-04-26.
- "CBS NFL Draft". Cbssports.com. Retrieved 2013-04-26.
- "Chicago White Sox Draft Kyle Long". Newsplex.com. 2008-06-06. Retrieved 2013-04-26.
- Barnes III, Lindsay (2009-01-08). "Kyle Long, son of Howie, busted for DWI, leaves college". The Hook. Retrieved 2013-04-26.
- Sunday, December 18, 2011 11:00 pm (2011-12-18). "Kyle Long commits to Oregon". Dailyprogress.com. Retrieved 2013-04-26.
- Miller, Ted. "NCAA denies Oregon OG Long's appeal". Espn.go.com. Retrieved 2013-04-26.
- "Kyle Long Draft Profile". National Football League. Retrieved 2013-04-25.
- Farrar, Doug (2013-04-25). "Chicago Bears select Oregon OT Kyle Long with the 20th overall pick". Yahoo! Sports. Retrieved 2013-04-25.
- Mayer, Larry (2013-04-29). "Who was last guard Bears picked in first round?". Chicago Bears. Retrieved 2013-04-30.
- "Bears Sign Four-Year Deal With Draft Pick Kyle Long". WBBM-TV. 2013-05-17. Retrieved 2013-05-17.
- Mayer, Larry (2013-06-20). "Long thrilled to rejoin fellow rookies at Halas Hall". Chicago Bears. Retrieved 2013-06-21.
- Mayer, Larry (2013-09-05). "Kyle Long focusing on task at hand". Chicago Bears. Retrieved 2013-09-05.
- Mayer, Larry (2014-01-08). "Long named to PFF All-Rookie Team". Chicago Bears. Retrieved 2014-01-08.
- Brandt, Gil (2014-01-15). "Eddie Lacy, Keenan Allen, Ziggy Ansah make All-Rookie Team". National Football League. Retrieved 2014-01-16.
- Biggs, Brad (2014-01-20). "Bears' Jennings, Long named to Pro Bowl". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 2014-01-20.
- Dickerson, Jeff (2016-03-10). "Chicago Bears' Kyle Long embraces move back to right guard". ESPN. Retrieved 2016-04-22.
- Tribune, Chicago. "Bears exercise contract option to keep Kyle Long through 2017". chicagotribune.com. Retrieved 2016-05-05.
- "Long inks new deal through 2021".