October 24, 1992|
Hoffman Estates, Illinois, U.S.
|Height||5 ft 8 in (173 cm)|
|Weight||180 lb (82 kg; 12 st 12 lb)|
|NHL team (P)|
Iowa Wild (AHL)
91st overall, 2011|
Kyle Rau (born October 24, 1992) is an American professional ice hockey forward currently playing for the Iowa Wild in the American Hockey League (AHL) while under contract to the Minnesota Wild in the National Hockey League (NHL). He was selected by the Florida Panthers in the 3rd round (91st overall) of the 2011 NHL Entry Draft.
In following his family ties, Rau first established himself in being a standout player in high school with Eden Prairie High. In his final year in 2011, Rau scored 69 points in just 25 games to earn selection as the Minnesota Mr. Hockey winner, as the best school player in Minnesota. Rau committed and played collegiate hockey within his homestate, with the Minnesota Golden Gophers.
In his senior year, Rau captained Minnesota for the 2014–15 season. Leading the Gophers to the Big Ten Conference Championship, he compiled 20 goals and 41 points in 39 games. On March 29, 2015, Rau signalled the end of his college career, having amassed 164 points in 160 contests, in signing a three-year entry-level contract with the Florida Panthers. He was then signed to an amateur try-out contract to complete the season in making his professional debut in the American Hockey League with affiliate, the San Antonio Rampage. Rau scored in his first game with the Rampage on his first shot, in a 7–3 defeat to the Adirondack Flames on April 4, 2015.
After attending the Panthers 2015 training camp, Rau was assigned to being his rookie professional season with new AHL affiliate, the Portland Pirates on September 25, 2015. In the 2015–16 season, Rau quickly adapted to the pro level, scoring 17 goals in just 48 games before he received his first NHL recall to the Panthers on February 19, 2016. He made his NHL debut in a 3–1 victory over the Winnipeg Jets on February 20, 2016.
Following the 2016–17 season with the Panthers, Rau was surprisingly not tendered a qualifying offer as a restricted free agent. On July 1, 2017 he signed as a free agent to a one-year, two-way contract with the Minnesota Wild.
Rau made his debut on January 20, 2018 with the Minnesota Wild, against the Tampa Bay Lightning. He got his first point with the Wild as the secondary assist on a Nate Prosser goal.
Kyle's older brother, Chad Rau, played NCAA hockey with Colorado College. He also played 9 games in the NHL with the Minnesota Wild and is currently playing in the Kontinental Hockey League for HC Neftekhimik. He also has a brother, Matt, and a twin brother, Curt.
Regular season and playoffs
|2009–10||Eden Prairie High||USHS||25||38||39||77||12||3||2||2||4||0|
|2010–11||Eden Prairie High||USHS||25||33||36||69||8||6||8||4||12||2|
|2010–11||Sioux Falls Stampede||USHL||11||4||6||10||15||10||7||5||12||4|
|2011–12||University of Minnesota||WCHA||40||18||25||43||29||—||—||—||—||—|
|2012–13||University of Minnesota||WCHA||40||15||25||40||22||—||—||—||—||—|
|2013–14||University of Minnesota||B1G||41||14||26||40||16||—||—||—||—||—|
|2014–15||University of Minnesota||B1G||39||20||21||41||18||—||—||—||—||—|
|2014–15||San Antonio Rampage||AHL||7||2||1||3||0||1||0||0||0||2|
Awards and honors
|Minnesota Mr. Hockey||2011|||
|All-WCHA Rookie Team||2011–12|||
|WCHA All-Academic Team||2013|
|B1G Second All-Star Team||2014|||
|NCAA All-Tournament Team||2014|
|NCAA West Second All-American Team||2014|
|B1G Second All-Star Team||2015|
|NCAA All-Americans 2nd Team||2015|
- "Rau, Kyle". National Hockey League. April 5, 2013. Retrieved April 5, 2013. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "Edin Prairie's Kyle Rau wins Mr Hockey Award". National Hockey League. March 13, 2011. Retrieved March 13, 2011. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "Panthers agree to terms with Kyle Rau". Florida Panthers. March 29, 2015. Retrieved March 29, 2015. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "Kyle Rau records first AHL goal in first game". Florida Panthers. April 5, 2015. Retrieved April 5, 2015. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "Florida Panthers announce roster changes". Florida Panthers. September 25, 2015. Retrieved September 25, 2015. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "Panthers recall Matheson, Rau". Florida Panthers. February 19, 2016. Retrieved February 19, 2016. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "Panthers rookies thrilled to witness Jagr's history-making goals in their NHL debuts". Sun-Sentinel. February 21, 2016. Retrieved February 21, 2016. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "Wild signs Veteran defenseman Kyle Quincey, 6 others". Minnesota Star Tribune. July 1, 2017. Retrieved July 1, 2017. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "Tampa Bay Lightning - Minnesota Wild - January 20th, 2018". National Hockey League. January 20, 2018. Retrieved January 20, 2018. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "Success with U eases separation pangs for U's Rau".
- "Rau stepped right in, Gophers stepped up".
- "WCHA All-Rookie Teams". College Hockey Historical Archives. Retrieved May 19, 2013.
- "Kyle Rau to make NHL debut". Minnesota Golden Gophers. February 20, 2016. Retrieved February 20, 2016. Italic or bold markup not allowed in: