Kyle York (entrepreneur)
Kyle York (born November 26, 1982) is an Internet entrepreneur, startup advisor, angel investor, cloud and Infrastructure-as-a-Service expert and global public speaker on cloud migration, internet security and hybrid cloud strategy. York was an executive at Dyn, his last role serving as Chief Strategy Officer and GM. Dyn was acquired by Oracle on November 21, 2016 and York is now a General Manager and Vice President for Oracle. The rumored purchase price was $600M. York also sits on the boards of Assent Compliance, CloudApp and 3rd Generation family business, YORK Athletics MFG. where he is a co-founder. York is also an angel investor and advisor in nearly 40 Internet companies. He has been part of over 10 successful exits as an investor and employee. Companies he has invested in and worked as a product, strategy and go-to-market (GTM) leader have been acquired by Cisco, Trend Micro, Cognizant, Blackbaud, New Relic, Oracle, ZoomInfo and Sophos.
York and his four brothers were born into the family business. His grandfather co-founded Indian Head Shoe Company in Manchester, NH in 1946. York and his brothers have remained active in the company, operating for 40+ years as a sporting goods retailer in Manchester, NH. Third generation family business, York Athletics MFG. was launched in 2016
York has also held various strategy, product and GTM leadership roles in sales, business development, product, strategy, marketing and services throughout his career. York is a New Hampshire native and holds a BS in Marketing from Bentley University. He lives in Bedford, NH, with his wife and three kids
Oracle – General Manager and Vice President
- Responsible for running Oracle Dyn and leading product strategy for Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (Iaas)
Dyn – Chief Strategy Officer/Chief Revenue Officer/GM (acquired)
- As the Chief Strategy Officer of Dyn, York was a critical component of the Oracle acquisition of Dyn on November 21, 2016 and was the lead spokesperson for the announcement.
- York has played a leading role at Dyn through many Internet scale events over the years. York helped scale Dyn as Chief Revenue Officer and CMO to nearly $30M ARR in 2012 and raise it's $38M Series A Round after 11 years of bootstrapping business growth He later was part of the negotiation for a $50 Million Series B from and Pamplona Capital Management in May 2016. In total, Dyn scaled to $100M ARR before the Oracle acquisition. The company raised $100M total in venture capital and private equity fundraising.
In the news
- York has often served as a key spokesperson for Dyn and Oracle, most notably during the Oct. 21st, 2016 DDoS attacks.
- York has represented the revitalization and evolution of the New Hampshire economy in both The New York Times and Politico alongside inventor Dean Kamen.
- A 2018 article from Inc. highlighted both Oracle and Amazon's commitment to job growth in Manchester, NH. York was featured as a catalyst for the emergence as an up and coming technology hub
- York has an active angel investment portfolio that includes fast growth SaaS startups: Fastly, Distil Networks, Outlyer & Catchpoint Systems. Additional investments include: Contactually, Datanyze, Adzerk, United Office, HappyCo, Explorics, Botkeeper, 19th Amendment, Jobble, LoyaltyLion and more
- York has spoken at Launch Festival, CIO Perspectives, The Next Web, Web Summit, Interop, SXSW, and more. He has also been a guest speaker at many universities and technology conferences globally, such as Harvard University, Bentley University and Stetson University
- York represented Oracle as the opening keynote for the McAfee MPOWER Cybersecurity Summit 2017 in Las Vegas on the topic of Internet volatility
- Clark, Susan (January 26, 2014). "DYN's Kyle York lives life with honesty, passion and persistence". UnionLeader. Retrieved March 30, 2016.
- "Kyle York Talks To Kinvey About The Misconceptions Around IaaS | Dyn". Retrieved 2016-12-15.
- "bio". Kyle York - YORK.ie. Retrieved 2016-12-15.
- "Dyn Leadership Team".
- "Oracle buys DNS provider Dyn, seeks to compete against Amazon in the cloud".
- "This 35-year-old started his company in his college dorm — and just sold it to Oracle for more than $600 million". Business Insider. Retrieved 2018-04-19.
- "Kyle York with Dyn - StartUp Madness Podcast". StartUp Madness Academy. 2016-02-22. Retrieved 2016-12-15.
- "Kyle York". angel.co. Retrieved 2016-12-15.
- "Trend Micro Buys Immunio". Dark Reading. Retrieved 2017-12-04.
- "Blackbaud Pays $35 Million For WhippleHill - The NonProfit Times". The NonProfit Times. Retrieved 2017-12-04.
- https://www.martechadvisor.com/news/bi-ci-decision-science/zoominfo-acquires-datanyze-enhances-growth-acceleration-platform/. Missing or empty
- "portfolio". Kyle York - YORK.ie. Retrieved 2016-12-15.
- "Family Business Q&A: Kyle York | Family Business Magazine". www.familybusinessmagazine.com. Retrieved 2017-02-09.
- Verry, Peter (2016-02-29). "First Look: York Athletics Mfg. Debuts With Focus On Misfit Athletes". Footwear News. Retrieved 2017-11-18.
- Lee Dumas, John. "Kyle York of Dyn". Entrepreneur on Fire.
- Biondi, Armando (September 26, 2015). "VentureBeat". The great unbundling of marketing is here. VentureBeat. Retrieved March 28, 2016.
- York, Kyle. "OracleVoice: What Enterprises Are Missing With Their Cloud Infrastructure Strategy". Forbes. Retrieved 2017-11-19.
- "Infrastructure as a Service | Oracle Cloud". cloud.oracle.com. Retrieved 2017-11-19.
- Lunden, Ingrid. "Oracle acquires DNS provider Dyn, subject of a massive DDoS attack in October". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2016-12-15.
- "Manchester's Dyn raises $38 million in venture funding". Boston.com. Retrieved 2016-12-15.
- Or, Amy (2016-05-10). "WSJ Pro Private Equity". Wall Street Journal. ISSN 0099-9660. Retrieved 2016-12-15.
- "This 35-year-old started his company in his college dorm — and just sold it to Oracle for more than $600 million". Business Insider. Retrieved 2017-11-19.
- Perlroth, Nicole (2016-10-21). "Hackers Used New Weapons to Disrupt Major Websites Across U.S." The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2016-12-15.
- Prevost, Lisa (2017-03-14). "A Millyard Transitions From Textiles to Tech". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2017-11-18.
- "How a 19th-Century Town Became a New Millennium Marvel". POLITICO Magazine. Retrieved 2017-11-18.
- "Oracle and Amazon Are Investing in Manchester. Maybe You Should Be There Too". Inc.com. 2018-07-12. Retrieved 2019-01-12.
- "Portfolio". Kyle York - YORK.ie.
- "bio". Kyle York - YORK.ie. Retrieved 2016-12-15.
- "Defending Your Internet Infrastructure". www.itbusinessedge.com.