This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The first novel in the trilogy, White Tiger, was published in July 2006, followed by Red Phoenix in January 2007. The last in the trilogy, Blue Dragon was released in August 2007. After this, she wrote two more trilogies with the same characters.
Drawing from the years Chan spent living in Hong Kong, and her careful research into Chinese myth and philosophy, the trilogy introduces Emma Donahoe, who takes a job as nanny to the daughter of a wealthy businessman. Unaware at first that he is in reality a Chinese god, she is drawn into a world of martial arts and magic where gods and demons walk the streets.
On her publisher's website Kylie Chan explains how she came to write The Dark Heavens trilogy, saying that after she returned to live in Australia, she read her way through every fantasy title she could find. Basing her writing on the genres she enjoyed - romance, action and the supernatural, and adding her knowledge of, and research into Chinese mythology and Taoist philosophy she created the first in the series, White Tiger.
According to the author's website two further trilogies in the same universe are to follow, starting in 2009. The first of these trilogies is the 'Journey to Wudang' trilogy, the third book of which was released in 2011.
Kylie Chan has a website and forum, where she can sometimes be found interacting with readers and answering questions.
Xuan Wu series
The Xuan Wu series is Kylie Chan's premiere fictional universe.
- Dark Heavens
- (the first trilogy)
- Journey To Wudang
- (the sequel trilogy to Dark Heavens)
- Earth to Hell (16/12/2009)
- Hell to Heaven (1/8/2010)
- Heaven to Wudang (24/5/2011)
- Celestial Battle
- (the sequel trilogy to Journey To Wudang)
- Dark Serpent (01/05/2013)
- Demon Child (01/06/2014 Au, 30/09/2014 elsewhere)
- Black Jade (2016)
As part of their anniversary celebrations in 2010, Voyager have released White Tiger in a hardback edition. All other volumes are only available in paperback.
- Short Stories
- Small Shen (2012), a prequel to "The Dark Heavens" trilogy, following the character Gold.
- Child Support (2005), a story in the anthology The Devil In Brisbane
- Gravity Engine (2011), a story about Prince Michael.
- Black Scales, White Fur (2010), a story about the white tiger falling in love with a snake mother.
- "BOOKS - BESTSELLERS". Sunday Telegraph (subscription required). 12 May 2013. Retrieved 2 November 2015.
- Purdon, Fiona (23 January 2010). "Tapping a teen market". The Courier-Mail (subscription required). Retrieved 2 November 2015.
- "Books by Kylie Chan". kyliechan.com. Retrieved July 13, 2015.
- Samantha Selinger-Morris (August 28, 2011). "Living in two worlds". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved July 13, 2015.
- "Kylie Chan". Harper Voyager. Retrieved July 13, 2015.
- Kylie Chan (7 October 2015). "My Editor’s Comments about ‘Black Jade’". KylieChan.com.
- Gordon, Amy. "White Tiger by Kylie Chan (review)". Geek Speak Magazine. Retrieved 2 November 2015.
- Bursztynski, Sue. "Bui Hu and Mary-Sue". January Magazine. Retrieved 2 November 2015.
- Haynes, Nalini. "Red Phoenix by Kylie Chan (review)". Dark Matter Zine. Retrieved 2 November 2015.
- "Earth to Hell: Journey to Wudang, Book 1 (review)". Publishers Weekly. Retrieved 2 November 2015.