|Formerly||KYLIE Lip Kits by Kylie Jenner (2014 / 2016) Kylie Cosmetics, LLC (2016-)|
|Kylie Jenner (president) Simona Cattaneo (CEO)|
|Products||Cosmetics, beauty products|
Kylie Jenner (41.1%)
Coty, Inc. (8.9%)
Number of employees
Kylie Cosmetics, LLC is an American cosmetics company founded by media personality Kylie Jenner. The company began selling Kylie Lip Kits, a liquid lipstick and lip liner set on November 30, 2015. Formerly known as Kylie Lip Kits, the company was renamed Kylie Cosmetics.
In 2018, Forbes reported the company was valued at $800 million, and in March 2019, valued the company at $900 million. Coty, Inc. bought a 51% controlling stake in the company for $600 million in November 2019. However, in early 2020 Forbes reported - citing documentation from the Coty deal - that Kylie Cosmetics had overvalued itself.
In 2014, Kylie Jenner and her mother Kris Jenner founded the company and partnered with Seed Beauty, a retail and product development company co-founded by siblings, John and Laura Nelson. The company's first product Kylie Lip Kits, a liquid lipstick and lip liner, debuted on November 30, 2015. The first 15,000 lip kits were produced by Seed Beauty and funded by Jenner at a cost of $250,000 from her modelling earnings. The company was renamed to Kylie Cosmetics in February 2016 and production was increased to 500,000 kits. By the end of 2016, the company's total revenue was over $300 million.
Jenner has described her decision to use her former insecurity about her lip size as inspiration for her brand, saying it's "one of the most authentic things I've done in my career".
Collaborations and collections
kylie Jenner has collaborated with several other celebrities on collections for Kylie Cosmetics. Some notable collaborations include Kim Kardashian West, Khloe Kardashian, and Kourtney Kardashian. Most recently, Jenner has collaborated with her mother, Kris Jenner.
In May 2017, it was announced Koko X Kylie would be returning for a Part 2 of the half-sisters’ collaboration.
In a month long pop-up event in November 2017, seven TopShop stores across the US sold Kylie Cosmetics products. In November 2018, Kylie Cosmetics began selling their products at Ulta. Many attribute the brand's success to Jenner's cosmetically altered lips.
On May 9, 2018, Kylie and Kris Jenner announced their collaboration called the Kris Kollection via Kylie's personal Instagram. The Mini Lip Set in the Kris Kollection, which includes eight mini liquid lipsticks, is aptly named “Momager”, a title in which Kris Jenner has personally taken on, and attempted to trademark, in recent years. In addition to the "Momager" Lip Kit, the Kris Kollection includes lip glosses and a four pan pressed powder highlight/blush palette, which has created a lot of controversy online with both good and bad reviews. The collection was released just in time for Mother's Day.
On September 14, 2018, Kylie announced her new launch the Jordyn X Kylie collection, in celebration of her long term friendship Jordyn Woods. Kylie was said to have removed products from this collection after the fallout of their friendship from the Tristan and Jordyn scandal.
On June 9, 2019, Kylie announced her collaboration with her half sister Khloé Kardashian for the third time.
On June 26, 2020, Kylie Cosmetics released a collection called “Kendall By Kylie Cosmetics”. It was created by Kylie Jenner and her sister Kendall Jenner. It sold out within 24 hours. Kendall is the last Kardashian-Jenner sister to collaborate with Kylie.
In February 2018, Jenner released Kylie Cosmetics’ first non-collaborative collection: Weather. Jenner explained the collection is an ode to her daughter, Stormi, who inspired the collection and was born earlier that month.
In August 2019, Jenner released her Birthday Collection. This collection was for her 22nd birthday and included lip kits, an eyeshadow pallet, a face primer, matte lipsticks, jelly kylighters, an eyeliner, and many more products. This collection featured money themed packaging. Jenner took a portion of her earnings from her birthday collection and collaborated with Ellen DeGeneres to give away over $1 million. $750,000 went to a group of women in Florida who have a non-profit organization called Nest Of Love.
In February 2020 Kylie launch the Stormi collection, in celebration of her daughters second birthday. This launch included beauty products such as eyeshadow palettes, Kylie lip kits, and blush. The launch was a success and the products quickly sold out.
Kylie is known for making appearances at pop-up shops which are located inside Topshops where she does meet-and-greets with fans. The locations are in Chicago, Illinois; Los Angeles, California; New York; Las Vegas, Nevada; Houston, Texas; Atlanta, Georgia; Miami, Florida
In May 2016, Kylie Cosmetics changed the packaging of its Lip Kits due to complaints of theft. Due to the easily recognizable packaging and high demand for the product at the time, some customers received empty boxes after having their products stolen in the mailing process. The original Kylie Lip Kit box was black with a white lip gloss drip design. In order to solve the theft issue, the boxes were changed to a basic black, and the recognizable lip gloss design was moved to the inside of the box.
In the April 2018 release of the Kourt X Kylie Collection, Kylie Cosmetics included eyeshadow palettes with brand new plastic packaging rather than the traditional cardboard packaging.
Kylie Cosmetics heavily depends on social media for its marketing. As of August 2018, Jenner has the most followed Snapchat account and 164 million Instagram followers, all of whom see her teases to past and future makeup releases.
Kylie Cosmetics also advertises daily on Instagram with verified the account @Kyliecosmetics. The Instagram account currently has 21.9 million followers. They share popular beauty influences reviews, sales, new products, and many photos of Kylie Jenner herself using the products. In November 2019, @kyliecosmetics on Instagram hit 22.4 million followers.
While Jenner, or members of her family, often serve as the face of Kylie Cosmetics, the pair of lips that advertise the Lip Kits themselves belongs to beauty and lifestyle blogger, Ashley Rosales. Before entering the beauty community, Ashley Rosales served in the United States Army as a mechanic. Kylie relies heavily on YouTube for marketing her launches. Kylie Jenner's YouTube channel has over 7.5 million subscribers. She'll often record 'get ready with me' to promote her upcoming launches.
"Luxury" brush scandal
In an occurrence dubbed by Cosmopolitan Australia as the "Kylie makeup brush scandal of 2017", Jenner received backlash from fans, makeup gurus, and Internet users alike after Kylie Cosmetics launched a set of 16 luxury makeup brushes, priced at $360. After a few big-name makeup artists including James Charles and Jeffree Star weighed in with their negative opinions on the price of the brush kit, Jenner responded via her personal Twitter, telling fans, "I hear you guys".
Skin Concealer controversy
After the release of the concealer line, Skin Concealer, Kylie Cosmetics received negative feedback from Internet users who claimed the company was copying Rihanna’s makeup line, Fenty Beauty. Though the intention of the makeup line was to remain inclusive, it was assumed by some that Jenner was profiting from diversity by including 30 shades in her concealer line.
It was also observed that all of the darker shades had red undertones, as explicitly described on the Kylie Cosmetics website, prompting the criticism that it did not cater to all skin types.
The release of Kylie Cosmetics’ March 2018 line of blushes sparked anger among some fans who thought that the names of some of the new products, such as "Barely Legal", "Virginity", "X Rated", and "Hot and Bothered", were too provocative, especially for Jenner's younger fans.
On April 8, 2020, Forbes again named Jenner as the world's youngest "self made" billionaire, citing her net worth having increased to 1.2 billion dollars. However, in May Forbes released a statement accusing Jenner of forging tax documents so she would appear as a billionaire. The publication also accused her of fabricating revenue figures for Kylie Cosmetics, citing documents Coty Inc (which had acquired a majority stake in Kylie Cosmetics) had released. The Forbes article concluded that Kylie Cosmetics was significantly smaller and less profitable than previously reported.
- Storm, Meg (3 April 2018). "Kylie Jenner Just Shared a Sneak Peek of Her New Kylie Cosmetics Lip Kits for April 2018 — and We're Obsessed". US Magazine. Retrieved 17 April 2018.
- "Kylie Jenner's cosmetics company has hit a $1B valuation and here we are applying her lipkit". Aol.com. Retrieved 26 May 2018.
- Robehmed, Natalie. "How 20-Year-Old Kylie Jenner Built A $90 Million Fortune In Less Than 3 Years".
- "The Tale Of Kylie Jenner And Her Billion-Dollar Beauty Company". Vogue.com. Retrieved 28 April 2019.
- "Kylie Jenner sells beauty company for $800m". BBC News. November 18, 2019. Retrieved November 18, 2019.
- "8-K". sec.report. Retrieved 2020-06-04.
- Peterson-Withorn, Chase. "Inside Kylie Jenner's Web Of Lies—And Why She's No Longer A Billionaire". Forbes. Retrieved 2020-06-04.
- "Powering the Pout: The (Other) Woman Behind Kylie Cosmetics". Shopify's Ecommerce Blog - Ecommerce News, Online Store Tips & More. Retrieved 2018-05-15.
- Weiner, Zoë. "How Kylie Jenner's Lip issues Inspired Her to Launch Kylie Cosmetics". Teenvogue.com. Retrieved 26 May 2018.
- "Kylie on Instagram: "#KrisKollection drops this Mother's Day. & if you didn't already know @krisjenner took over EVERYTHING. 🤣"". Instagram.
- "KKW". Kimkardashianwest.com.
- "Kim Kardashian Shares BTS Photos with Her 'Twin Sissy' Kylie to Promote Lip Kit Collab (Launching Tonight!)". PEOPLE.com. Retrieved 2018-05-15.
- Nussbaum, Rachel (26 May 2017). "Kylie Jenner's Second Kylie Cosmetics Koko Collection Is On the Way". Glamour. Retrieved 11 May 2018.
- "$4.5 Million! 20 Lipsticks! How Kylie Jenner's Kylie Cosmetics Dominated 2017". People.com.
- Schaefer, Kayleen. "Kylie Jenner Built a Business Empire out of Lip Kits and Fan Worship". Vanityfair.com.
- Abelman, Devon (18 April 2018). "The Kylie Cosmetics Kourt Collection Is Officially Happening". Allure. Retrieved 11 May 2018.
- Robin, Marci. "All the Details on Kris Jenner's New Kris x Kylie Cosmetics Collection". Allure.com.
- Rosenstein, Jenna (10 May 2018). "Kylie Jenner on Baby Weight and Working Out After Stormi". Harper's Bazaar.
- "Kylie 🤍 on Instagram: "i can't wait to introduce the KYLIE X JORDYN @kyliecosmetics collection to you guys but before i do, i wanted to come on here and let you…"". Instagram. Retrieved 2020-02-28.
- "HEIR JORDYN (@jordynwoods) • Instagram photos and videos". www.instagram.com. Retrieved 2020-02-28.
- "Olivier Rousteing", Wikipedia, 2020-05-06, retrieved 2020-05-07
- Penrose, Nerisha (2019-09-24). "Kylie Jenner's Makeup Collaboration With Balmain Will Debut at Paris Fashion Week". ELLE. Retrieved 2020-05-07.
- "Kylie Jenner's New Beauty Collection Is Dedicated To Her Daughter — Because Of Course". Refinery29.com.
- "Kylie Jenner Unveils Newest Cosmetics Collection Inspired by Newborn Daughter Stormi". people.com.
- "Stormi Collection". Kylie Cosmetics by Kylie Jenner. Retrieved 2020-02-28.
- "Topshop", Wikipedia, 2020-04-24, retrieved 2020-05-07
- "Here's every single Kylie Cosmetics pop-up location opening next week". Revelist.com. Retrieved 2020-05-07.
- Navarro, Andrea. "This Is What the New Kylie Lip Kit Boxes Look Like". Teenvogue.com. Retrieved 26 May 2018.
- "Kylie finally upgraded her makeup packaging to feel less cheap". Revelist.com.
- "Why Kylie Jenner Is A Marketing Genius". Careergirldaily.com. 21 December 2016. Retrieved 26 May 2018.
- "Kylie (@kyliejenner) • Instagram photos and videos". Instagram.com. Retrieved 26 May 2018.
- "Kylie Cosmetics (@kyliecosmetics) • Instagram photos and videos". www.instagram.com. Retrieved 2019-11-21.
- "Damn. Talk about a badass alert". Revelist.com. Retrieved 26 May 2018.
- "Kylie Jenner". YouTube. Retrieved 2020-02-28.
- "We've Found Out Who Kylie Jenner's Makeup Swatch Model Is". Grazia. Retrieved 26 May 2018.
- "The 6 Meanest Things Critics Have Said About Kylie Jenner's $360 Makeup Brushes". Cosmopolitan. Retrieved 26 May 2018.
- "Kylie Jenner responds to fans who complained her $360 'luxury' makeup brush set was way too expensive". Thisinsider.com.
- "People Are Accusing Kylie Jenner Of Copying Rihanna's Makeup Line". Buzzfeed.com.
- Battle, Marquaysa (January 9, 2018). "Kylie Jenner's 'inclusive' concealer ignores one important fact about dark skin". Revelist. Retrieved August 17, 2020.
- Duff, Seamus (14 March 2018). "Fans fuming over what Kylie Jenner has named latest makeup product". Mirror. Retrieved 26 May 2018.
- "Kylie Jenner is named Forbes youngest self made billionaire for a second year in a row". cosmopolitan.
- Peterson-Withorn, Chase; Berg, Madeline (May 29, 2020). "Inside Kylie Jenner's Web Of Lies—And Why She's No Longer A Billionaire". Forbes. Retrieved May 29, 2020.