|Born||Kyo Iona Maclear|
|Notable works||The Letter Opener, Stray Love, Spork, Virginia Wolf|
Kyo Maclear (born 1970) is a Canadian novelist and children's author.
Maclear was born in England and moved to Canada at a young age. She is of mixed British-Japanese descent. Her father is the journalist and documentary filmmaker Michael Maclear. She is also the mother of Yoshi Maclear and Mika Maclear.
She studied fine art and art history at the University of Toronto and also completed an M.A. in cultural studies at the Ontario Institute for Studies in Education in 1996. Her graduate thesis, Beclouded Visions: Hiroshima-Nagasaki and the art of Witness was published by the State University of New York Press. She is a noted visual arts writer and has written numerous essays and art criticism which have been widely published in art catalogues and magazines. She was awarded the K.M. Hunter Artists Award in 2009.
She is the author of two novels: The Letter Opener (2007) and Stray Love (2012); and five illustrated books for children, Spork, (2010); Virginia Wolf (2012), illustrated by Isabelle Arsenault,; Mr. Flux (2013), illustrated by Matte Stephens; Julia, Child (2014), illustrated by Julie Morstad; and The Liszts (2016), illustrated by Júlia Sardà. The Letter Opener was shortlisted for the 2007 Amazon/Books in Canada First Novel Award. Maclear's memoir, "Birds Art Life", won the 2018 Trillium Book Award for excellence in English-language prose writing by an Ontario author.
- The Letter Opener. Toronto: HarperCollins, 2007.
- Stray Love. Toronto: HarperCollins Canada, 2012.
- Birds Art Life: A Year of Observation. New York: Scribner, 2017.
- Spork. Toronto: Kids Can Press, 2010. Illustrated by Isabelle Arsenault.
- Virginia Wolf. Toronto: Kids Can Press, 2012. Illustrated by Isabelle Arsenault.
- Mr. Flux. Toronto: Kids Can Press, 2013. Illustrated by Matte Stephens.
- Julia Child. Toronto: Tundra Books, 2014. Illustrated by Julie Morstad
- The wish tree. San Francisco: Chronicle Books, 2016. Illustrated by Chris Turnham.
- "Kyo Maclear, Author". Kids Can Press. Retrieved 8 August 2013.
- "Kyo Maclear". Ryerson Library.
- "Kyo Maclear". Harper Collins. Retrieved 8 August 2013.
- "Kyo MacLear: 2009 Literature Award Winner". K.M. Hunter Foundation. Retrieved 8 August 2013.
- Cole, Susan G. (22 June 2018). "Kyo Maclear wins Trillium Book Award for Birds Art Life". NOW Magazine.
- Maclear, Kyo (2007). The Letter Opener. HarperCollins Canada. p. 312. ISBN 9780002006071.
- Maclear, Kyo (2012). Stray Love. HarperCollins Canada. p. 317. ISBN 9781443408592.
- Maclear, Kyo (2017). Birds Art Life: A Year of Observation. Scribner. p. 221. ISBN 9781501154201.
- Maclear, Kyo (2010). Spork. Kids Can Press. ISBN 978-1-55337-736-8.
- Maclear, Kyo (2012). Virginia Wolf. Kids Can Press. ISBN 978-1-55453-649-8.
- Maclear, Kyo (2013). Mr. Flux. Kids Can Press. ISBN 978-1-55453-781-5.
- Maclear, Kyo (2014). Julia Child. Tundra Books. ISBN 9781770494497.
- Maclear, Kyo (2016). The wish tree. San Francisco, California: Chronicle Books. ISBN 9781452150659.