2016 Kyoto 3rd district by-election
Kyoto 3rd district
A by-election for the Kyoto-3rd seat in the Japanese House of Representatives was held on 24 April 2016, coinciding with the by-election in Hokkaido. The seat became vacant after sitting member Kensuke Miyazaki resigned on 12 February 2016 in the midst of an extramarital affair scandal. Miyazaki, a member of the Liberal Democratic Party, served the district from 2012. He defeated Democratic Party MP Kenta Izumi by slim margins in the 2012 (0.1%) and 2014 (2.7%) elections.
The district had 344,696 registered voters for the election, an increase of 0.12% since the 2014 general election. As the voting age for national elections was decreased to 18 years in June 2016, this by-election, along with the Hokkaido by-election, were the last national-level election with a minimum voting age of 20 years. The by-elections were the first national-level elections contested by the Democratic Party, Initiatives from Osaka party and Party for Japanese Kokoro under their respective current names. The Communist Party also chose not to field a candidate in the election, despite receiving 27,000 votes (16%) in the 2014 election.
- 16 March 2016 - Date of election announced
- 12 April 2016 - List of candidates published
- 13–23 April - Early-voting polling booths open
- 24 April 2016 - Polling day
The by-election was a six-way race. The LDP decided against fielding a candidate due to the perceived anti-LDP sentiment in light of the Miyazaki scandal. Party bosses were also worried that a heavy defeat in Kyoto might affect LDP's campaign for the House of Councillors election in summer.
|Party for Japanese Kokoro||Yukiko Ono||Endorsed by the New Renaissance Party|
|Happiness Realization Party||Mitsuko Ōyagi|
|Initiatives from Osaka||Natsue Mori|
|Democratic||Kenta Izumi||Endorsed by the Social Democratic Party.|
Representative of the district for three terms (2003-2012). Lost the district in 2012 and 2014 but remained in the House via the Kinki PR block.
|Japanese Kokoro||Yukiko Ono||6,449||6.49||N/A|
|Happiness Realization||Mitsuko Ōyagi||2,247||2.26||N/A|
|Democratic gain from Liberal Democratic||Swing||N/A|
1 The percentage swing for the Democratic Party candidate is calculated based on the vote share obtained by its predecessor, DPJ.
2 The percentage swing for the Initiatives from Osaka candidate is calculated based on the vote share obtained by its predecessor, Japan Innovation Party.
- "Paternity leave trailblazer Miyazaki quits over affair". Japan Times. 12 February 2016. Retrieved 12 April 2016.
- "京都３区補選 民進 泉健太氏が当選" [Kyoto 3rd district by-election: Democratic Party's Kenta Izumi has been elected] (in Japanese). NHK. 24 April 2016. Archived from the original on 24 April 2016. Retrieved 24 April 2016.
- "LDP-backed candidate Wada projected to win seat in Hokkaido by-election". Japan Times. 24 April 2016. Retrieved 24 April 2016.
- "選挙人名簿登録者数 増減比較表" [Registered voters comparison table] (PDF) (in Japanese). 11 April 2016. Retrieved 13 April 2016.
- "選挙権年齢の満１８歳以上への引下げ" [Voting age lowered to 18 years] (in Japanese). Kyoto Prefecture. Retrieved 13 April 2016.
- "衆院京都３区補選、６人の争い確定" [Kyoto 3rd by election confirmed as 6-person race] (in Japanese). Kyoto Shimbun. 12 April 2016. Retrieved 13 April 2016.
- "京都府広報" [Kyoto Prefecture Gazette] (PDF) (in Japanese). Kyoto Prefecture. 12 April 2016. Retrieved 13 April 2016.
- "衆議院京都府第３区選出議員補欠選挙 期日前投票所に使用する施設について" [Concerning pre-polling locations for the Kyoto 3rd district by-election] (PDF) (in Japanese). Kyoto Prefecture. Retrieved 13 April 2016.
- "Hokkaido and Kyoto by-election campaigns, measure of Abe's strength, get underway". Japan Times. 12 April 2016. Retrieved 12 April 2016.
- "LDP decides not to field candidate for by-election in Kyoto". Mainichi Shimbun. 28 February 2016. Archived from the original on 23 April 2016. Retrieved 12 April 2016.
- "Hokkaido, Kyoto by-elections a test for both DP and LDP". Japan Times. 7 April 2016. Retrieved 24 April 2016.
- "開票結了速報" [Preliminary final results] (PDF) (in Japanese). Kyoto Prefecture. 24 April 2016. Retrieved 24 April 2016.
- "衆院京都３区補選" [House of Representatives - Kyoto 3rd district by-election] (in Japanese). NHK. 24 April 2016. Retrieved 24 April 2016.[permanent dead link]
- "選挙当日の有権者数、投票者数及び投票率に関する調 ［投票結了］" [Number of voters on election day and turnout (post-election report)] (PDF) (in Japanese). Kyoto Prefecture. 24 April 2016. Retrieved 24 April 2016.