Kyp Malone in 2009
|Birth name||Kyp Malone|
|Born||February 27, 1973|
|Occupation(s)||Musician, record producer, Actor|
|Instruments||Vocals, Guitar, Bass guitar|
|Labels||Touch and Go Records
|Associated acts||Yams Collective
TV on the Radio
Miles Benjamin Anthony Robinson tinariwen
Malone formed Iran with film director/singer/songwriter Aaron Aites in 2000. Malone later joined Tunde Adebimpe and David Sitek in TV on the Radio on Desperate Youth, Bloodthirsty Babes and has been in the band ever since. He writes, sings and plays instruments for the band. He addresses in his lyrics racism, show business, and politics in an indirect manner with poetry and images.
Malone has also worked with Miles Benjamin Anthony Robinson, including producing Robinson's 2009 album Summer Of Fear. In 2009, Malone released a solo effort under the name Rain Machine, later touring to support the album. The album was produced by Grammy-winner Ian Brennan (music producer, author). Malone has also toured and played with Jolie Holland, and was an influence and early champion of singer-songwriter Sharon Van Etten. Malone was featured in the 2002 Bay Area indie film Scumrock. Malone also recorded with the Malian band Tinariwen on their 2011 release Tassili. The album was recorded in the Algerian desert near the Libyan border.
Kyp Malone is also a member of Yams Collective.
In 2015, Malone made a cameo on the TV series Broad City, playing a music store clerk in the episode The Matrix.
- Pierrot, Gregory (November 2013). "There Will Be Mixed Blood: TV On the Radio, Werewolves Like Us". Melanine.org.
- LaBate, Steve (2007-10-16). "Miles Benjamin Anthony Robinson: Summer of Fear". Paste Magazine. Retrieved 2011-03-07.
- Ayers, Mike (2009-09-25). "Kyp Malone Gets Deep and Desperate on 'Rain Machine'". Spinner (website). Retrieved 2011-03-07.
- Lawrence, Jordan. "Jolie Holland & Kyp Malon". Columbia Free Times. Retrieved 8 March 2011.
- Hilton, Robin. "First Listen: Sharon Van Etten, 'Epic'". NPR.org. Retrieved 8 March 2011.
- Smith, Dane (18 January 2011). "Confidence a plenty". Mountain Xpress. Retrieved 5 February 2011.
- Malone, Kyp. "Scumrock". imdb. Retrieved 6 April 2011.
- Rohter, Larry (2011-09-01). "Blues From the Desert, Recorded On Site". New York Times. Retrieved 2011-09-01.