Kyril, Prince of Preslav
Kyril, Prince of Preslav, Duke of Saxony (born 11 July 1964), also known as Kyril of Saxe-Coburg, is the second son of Tsar Simeon II of Bulgaria (also Prime Minister of Bulgaria from 2001 to 2005) and his wife Doña Margarita Gómez-Acebo y Cejuela.
Education and career
Marriage and family
Kyril married Doña María del Rosario Nadal y Fuster de Puigdórfila on 15 September 1989. Nadal is a maternal descendent of the Counts of Olocau, her grandfather being the 9th Count, and her uncle being the present and 10th Count. Rosario is also a descendant of the Aztec Emperor Moctezuma II.
The religious ceremony was held at Saint Anne's Chapel, Almudaina Palace, Palma de Mallorca. The Spanish tabloids ¡Hola! and Semana covered the event and reported that there were 400 guests, though only 125 could be accommodated in the chapel for the religious ceremony. According to Majesty magazine at the time, King Juan Carlos, Queen Sofía, Infanta Elena, Infanta Cristina, and Felipe, Prince of Asturias, attended the occasion.
The couple have three children: Mafalda-Cecilia (born 27 July 1994), Olimpia (born 14 December 1995), and Tassilo (born 20 January 2002).
In October 2009, it was announced by the Spanish news agency EFE that, according to a report from an anonymous source close to Simeon of Bulgaria, the couple were going to live separately. The source claimed, however, that they don't presently have any plans or intention to divorce.
On 28 October 1987, Kyril escorted fellow Princeton graduate Brooke Shields to a dinner/fashion show hosted by Christian Lacroix in New York City. Until his marriage, Kyril's purported romantic interests were tracked by European celebrity magazines, notably ¡Hola! in Spain.
He and his wife have been known to socialize with many celebrities and royalty, such as Gwyneth Paltrow, Hugh Grant, the Crown Prince Haakon Magnus and Mette Marit of Norway, as well as the Spanish royal family.
He is the godfather of Prince Aristidis-Stavros of Greece and Denmark, son of Pavlos, Crown Prince of Greece.
- 11 July 1964 – present: His Royal Highness Prince Kyril of Bulgaria, The Prince of Preslav, Prince of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, Duke of Saxony
|Ancestors of Kyril, Prince of Preslav|
- Biography HRH Prince Kyril of Preslav – Official website of H.M. King Simeon II
- The Peerage
- Armitstead, Louise: "Hedge Fund Star's Net Worth," The Times, 1 July 2007
- "Fast Track: A-Z of Employers Lehman Brothers," The Independent, 26 November 1998
- genealogics.org http://www.genealogics.org/getperson.php?personID=I00317989&tree=LEO. Missing or empty
- "Bulgarian Royals," The Royal Forums (blog)
- Town & Country, March 1998
- Margalejo, Isabel, and Rosario Nadal, Architectural Digest, March 2007, No. 12, p. 338
- "Rosario Nadal y Kyril se separan". EL PAÍS (in Spanish). EFE. 12 October 2009. Retrieved 11 June 2017.
- Photographic image. Corbis via Getty Images.
- Prince Kyril of Saxe-Coburg and actress Brooke Shields attend Christian Lacroix's - Getty Images
- http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/prince-kyril-of-bulgaria-attends-the-gala-dinner-for-the-wedding-of-picture-id154432251 Getty Images, wedding of Guillaume of Luxembourg and Countess Stephanie of Lannoy]
Kyril, Prince of Preslav
Cadet branch of the House of WettinBorn: 11 July 1964
Title last held byPrince Kiril of Bulgaria
|Prince of Preslav
Prince Beltrán of Bulgaria
|Line of succession to the former Bulgarian throne
Prince Tassilo of Bulgaria