Kyril, Prince of Preslav
|Prince of Preslav|
|Born||11 July 1964|
Madrid, Francoist Spain
(m. 1989; sep. 2009)
|House||Saxe-Coburg and Gotha-Koháry|
|Bulgarian royal family|
Princess Marie Louise of Bulgaria
The Prince of Preslav
|Reference style||His Royal Highness|
|Spoken style||Your Royal Highness|
Kyril, Prince of Preslav, Duke in Saxony (born 11 July 1964), also known as Kyril of Saxe-Coburg, is the second son of Simeon Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, Prime Minister of Bulgaria from 2001 to 2005, and Margarita Saxe-Coburg-Gotha.
Education and career
Kyril was born in Madrid, and graduated from Princeton University with an A.B. in physics in 1986 after completing a senior thesis titled "Velocity distribution of pulsars: a Monte Carlo simulation."
Marriage and family
Kyril married María del Rosario Nadal y Fuster de Puigdorfila, who goes by Rosario Nadal, on 15 September 1989. Her first cousin, Joaquín-Felipe de Puigdorfila y Esteve is the current Count of Olocau.
The religious ceremony was held at Saint Anne's Chapel, Almudaina Palace, Palma de Mallorca. The Spanish tabloids ¡Hola! and Semana covered the event and reported that there were 400 guests, though only 125 could be accommodated in the chapel for the religious ceremony. According to Majesty magazine at the time, King Juan Carlos, Queen Sofía, Infanta Elena, Infanta Cristina of Spain, and Felipe VI of Spain attended the occasion.
The couple have three children:
- Mafalda-Cecilia (born 27 July 1994),
- Olimpia (born 14 December 1995),
- Tassilo (born 20 January 2002).
In October 2009, it was announced by the Spanish news agency EFE that, according to a report from an anonymous source close to Simeon of Bulgaria, the couple were going to live separately. The source claimed, however, that they don't presently have any plans or intention to divorce.
On 28 October 1987, Kyril escorted fellow Princeton graduate Brooke Shields to a dinner/fashion show hosted by Christian Lacroix in New York City.[unreliable source?] Until his marriage, Kyril's purported romantic interests were tracked by European celebrity magazines, notably ¡Hola! in Spain.
He and his wife have been known to socialize with many celebrities and royalty, such as Gwyneth Paltrow, Hugh Grant, the Crown Prince Haakon Magnus and Mette Marit of Norway, as well as the Spanish royal family.
Titles and honours
- 11 July 1964 – present: His Royal Highness Kyril, Prince of Preslav, Prince of Bulgaria, Prince of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, Duke in Saxony
|Ancestors of Kyril, Prince of Preslav|
- Biography HRH Prince Kyril of Preslav Archived 26 April 2010 at the Wayback Machine – Official website of H.M. King Simeon II
- Saxe-Coburg, Kyril (1986). Velocity distribution of pulsars : a Monte Carlo simulation. Princeton, NJ: Department of Physics.
- Armitstead, Louise: "Hedge Fund Star's Net Worth," The Times, 1 July 2007
- "Fast Track: A-Z of Employers Lehman Brothers," The Independent, 26 November 1998
- Town & Country, March 1998
- Margalejo, Isabel, and Rosario Nadal, Architectural Digest, March 2007, No. 12, p. 338
- "Rosario Nadal y Kyril se separan". EL PAÍS (in Spanish). EFE. 12 October 2009. Retrieved 11 June 2017.
- Prince Kyril of Saxe-Coburg and actress Brooke Shields attend Christian Lacroix's - Getty Images
Kyril, Prince of Preslav
Cadet branch of the House of WettinBorn: 11 July 1964
Title last held byPrince Kiril of Bulgaria
| Prince of Preslav
Prince Beltrán of Bulgaria
| Line of succession to the former Bulgarian throne
Prince Tassilo of Bulgaria