As a family name
The 2000 South Korean Census found 15,784 people with the family name Kyung. It may be written with either of two different hanja. Those with the name meaning "scenery" (景) may belong to one of two different bon-gwan: Haeju, South Hwanghae, in what is today North Korea, and Taein (泰仁). There is only one bon-gwan for the other Kyung surname, meaning "celebration" (慶): Cheongju, Chungcheongbuk-do, in what is today South Korea. In a study by the National Institute of the Korean Language based on 2007 application data for South Korean passports, it was found that 69.2% of people with this surname spelled it in Latin letters as Kyung in their passports, while another 19.2% spelled it as Kyoung. The Revised Romanisation spelling Gyeong came in third place at 7.6%. Rarer alternative spellings (the remaining 4.0%) included Kyeong.
People with the surname Kyung include:
- Gyeong Dae-seung (1154–1183), Goryeo Dynasty general
- Kyung Soo-jin (born 1987), South Korean actress
- Kyong Wonha (fl. 2000s), North Korean nuclear scientist
In given names
Kyung is an element in many popular Korean given names. The meaning differs based on the hanja used. There are 54 hanja with this reading on the South Korean government's official list of hanja which may be used in given names; common ones are listed in the table above. In the 1940s through 1970s, many popular names for newborn girls in South Korea contained this element, including:
Other names beginning with this element include:
Other names ending with this element include:
People with the given name Kyung include:
- Kyung Lah (born 1971), South Korean journalist
- Sol Kyong (born 1990), North Korean judo practitioner
- Park Kyung (born 1992), member of South Korean boyband Block B
- "한국성씨일람" [List of Korean surnames]. Kyungpook National University. 2003-12-11. Retrieved 2013-10-30.
- 성씨 로마자 표기 방안: 마련을 위한 토론회 [Plan for romanisation of surnames: a preparatory discussion]. National Institute of the Korean Language. 25 June 2009. p. 57. Retrieved 22 October 2015.
- "인명용 한자표" [Table of hanja for use in personal names] (PDF). South Korea: Supreme Court. p. 3. Retrieved 2013-10-17.
- "한국인이 가장 줗아하는 이름은 무엇일까?". babyname.co.kr. Archived from the original on 2013-10-20. Retrieved 2012-11-09.
- "한국인이 가장 줗아하는 이름은 무엇일까?". babyname.co.kr. Retrieved 2012-11-09.
|This page or section lists people that share the same given name or the same family name. If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change that link to point directly to the intended article.|