Kyungpook National University
|Motto||진리, 긍지, 봉사
"Truth, Pride, Service"
|Established||1946 (founded 1907)|
|President||17th Acting president Son Dong-Chul|
Full-time1,880 includong foreignfaculty of 80 in 2015
Part-time 1,660 (2010)
|Undergraduates||27,152. 5,655degree seniors in 2015|
|Campus||Urban Main campus complex Sangyeok-dong,Buk-gu Medical college & General hospital Daegu central area since 1907. 2nd KNU Chilgok General Hospital.NW of Chilgok new town|
|Kyungpook National University|
|Revised Romanization||Gyeongbuk Daehakgyo|
Kyungpook National University (경북대학교, abbreviated as KNU or Kyungdae, 경대) is a national university representing Daegu Metropolitan City and Gyeongbuk Province in South Korea . It is located in the Daegu Metropolitan City, which is the capital city of the Gyeongbuk Province, South Korea. (Kyungpook in the university's name represents an old romanization of the province's name, now most commonly spelled Gyeongbuk.)
The University was originally founded as the Daegu Dong-in Hospital in 1907, and officially established in September 1946, merging and succeeding the former three colleges of Daegu Teacher's College, Daegu Agricultural College, and Daegu Medical College, although its history dates back to 1906. In 2008, KNU acquired Sangju National University as a new campus of the KNU system, which is now designated as "KNU Sangju", becoming one of the largest campus universities in South Korea. In 2012, KNU opened the KNU Global Plaza for a professional engagement, such as knowledge / technology exchange between KNU and industry, and for domestic and international events / conferences. It has 17 floors, and its office rooms and facilities on 8 to 15th floors are currently occupied by more than 50 research institutes and centres.
- 1907 Daegu Dong-in Hospital founded.
- 1910 Renamed as Daegu Jahae Hospital.
- 1912 Renamed as Kyungsangpook-do Provincial Daegu Hospital.
- 1933 Daego Prefectural Medical school established. < march 8 >
Meaning Under the Han River, The 1st Prefectural Medical school founded.
- 1945 National College established in 1946 with College of Education, College of Medicine, and College of Agriculture.
- 1946 Establishment of College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
- 1949:College of Law and Political Science. The name was changed to Kyungpook National University (KNU) in 1951. Dr. Ko, Byung-Gan assumed office as first president of KNU (1952). The Graduate School was established in 1953.
- 1960s Main administration building built in 1960 and Graduate School of Education established in 1969.
- 1970s Establishment of College of Engineering (1970), College of Economics and Commerce (1972), and College of Dentistry (1973). First overseas academic cooperative relationship initiated with State University of New York at Buffalo in 1973.
- 1974: Area-wise Speciality of engineering
started. Electronics department of 3-400students adimission for Gumi electronics special city of planned electronics complex like Samsung and Goldstar (Now LG electronics)
- 1980s Establishment of Graduate School of Public Administration (1980), Graduate School of Business Administration (1981), Graduate School of Public Health (1981), College of Music & Visual Arts (1982), Graduate School of Industry (1985), and College of Veterinary Medicine (1988). College of Liberal Arts and Sciences is divided into College of Humanities and Social Sciences and College of Natural Sciences (1981). College of Humanities and Social Sciences is divided into College of Humanities and College of Social Sciences (1982). College of Law and Political Science is renamed as College of Law (1982).
- 1990s Establishment of Graduate School of Agricultural Development, College of Human Ecology (1992), Graduate School of International Studies (1996), and Graduate School of Policy and Information (1999).
- 2000s Establishment of Undeclared Majors (2000), School of Electrical Engineering & Computer Science (2001), Graduate School of Forensic & Investigative Science (2003) and College of Pharmacy (2011).
Colleges and schools
- Graduate School
- College of Humanities
- College of Social Sciences
- College of Natural Sciences
- College of Economics and Business Administration
- College of Law
- College of Engineering
- College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
- College of Music and Visual Art
- College of Veterinary Medicine
- College of Human Ecology
- College of Nursing
- College of Pharmacy
- College of IT Engineering
- Teacher's College
- Undeclared Majors (freshmen-only college)
- School of Dentistry
- Global Leaders School
- Law School
- School of Medicine
- School of Dentistry
- College of Ecology & Environmental Science (Sangju Campus)
- College of Science & Engineering (Sangju Campus)
- School of Health & Welfare (Sangju Campus)
Facilities and institutes
Kyungpook National University has the second largest library collection among university libraries in Korea(3rd place among all libraries in Korea). The library collections include 3.05 million volumes covering nearly every academic field. The Central Library is the primary library of the main campus and it has 2.6 million volumes. Branch libraries of the School of Medicine, School of Dentistry, College of Law and Sangju Campus are also included in KNU libraries.
- Park Chung-hee (박정희), graduated from Taegu Teacher's College (1937), a former military general & pioneer of modernization of South Korea, President of South Korea (1961~1979), the most famous and respected former president in South Korea
- Shim,Ui-hwan(심의환1924-1979 ) vice minister of Sanggong bu (5 and half years record) as leading heavy industry policy maker, minister of Chongmu-cher, General affairs ministry of Park Chung-hee government in 1960-70s.
- Kim,Youngjun (김영준 law department), former Chairman of BAI,Board of Audit and inspection of Korea.
- Kim Yoon Hwan (김윤환), former Minister of State for Political Affairs, vice chairman of Grand National Party During Roh Taewoo government 1988-1992 of South Korea
- Ahn,Chung-young (안충영) Korea Dongban seongjang wiwonhoe (동반 성장위원회) Chairman.
former KIEP(Korea institite for international economic policy) chief economist and former Joongang university professor. former kotra Ombudzman.
- Lee Kang Cheol (이강철), former chief presidential secretary for social affairs
during Progressive Noh, Muhyeon government (2003-2007)
- Chu,Gyeongjik (추경직) former minister of ministry of construction and transportation
during Noh,Mu-hyeon government (2003-2007)
- Lee,Jeongwoo (이정우), former chief presidential secretary of Noh, Muhyeon government (대통령 실장 2003-2008)
Economist and professor of Kyungpook national university
- Hong,Yangho (홍양호.1973 law college)
former vice minister, Ministry of unification. former Gaeseong industrial complex chief(개성공단 이사장) in North Korea.
- Kim,Jae-su(김재수 ,1974 admission Hakbeon) president of Korea Agro-fisheries and food trade corporation, AT(농수산식품 유통공사)
former vice minister of Agriculture and fisheries.
- Choi,Won-young(최원영,1976 law college)
Health and welfare Chief Advisor to the president of Park, Geunhye government. former vice minister of Ministry of health and welfare.
- Byun,Chanwoo (변찬우 law college)
The supreme prosecutor's office, Chief prosecutor of capital crimes department (강력부장, 대검찰청) former Gwangju regional prosecutor's office chief.
- Kim,Youngmin (김영민 ,1977)Commissioner of KIPO, Korea Intellectual property office(특허청).
former director of Ministry of Trade and industry. www.kipo.go.kr President of Korea Resources Corp. www.kores.or.kr, State-run Korea mineral resources development organ under MOTIE.
- Ryu, Seong-geol(류성걸,1978) M.P. 19th Korea national assembly 2012-2016 in Daegu Donggu Gap, Saenuri party
Former Vice minister of Ministry of strategy and finance (기재부 MOSF, since February 2008)
former Powerful budgetary division chief, Who controls government budget and over 235 state-run companies' budget.
Vice chairman of KNU alumni association.
Board member of DGIST, Daegu Gyeongbuk Institute of Technology in Daegu.
- Kim,Hee-guk (김희국,1977law college)
M.P. of Daegu, Saenuri party.19th national assembly. Former vice minister of MOLIT,Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and transportation.
- Kim, Youngseok (김영석,1978)Vice minister, Ministry of ocean and fisheries(해양수산부) Nominee of Minister of ministry of ocean and fisheries on Oct. 19, 2015
Park, Geunhye government (2013-2018)
- Song Young Sun (송영선), 17th-18th member of Hawaii university Dr. Ruling Saenuri party, Defense expert. National Assembly of South Korea
- Chang, Dong-hee (장동희 1973 law college)
Korean ambassador to Finland (2013- )
former ambassador to Libya. Ministry of foreign affairs. Career diplomat.
- Jeon,Gun-pyo (전군표1973) former National Tax Service (NTS) commissioner.
- Lee Cheol Woo (이철우, 1974), 18th-19th member of National Assembly of South Korea.Ruling Saenuri party of Gimcheon city
Korea no.1 voters' approval holder during 19th general election of Korea unicameral M.P election in 2012-2016.6
Chairman of KNU allum nai association, Seoul chapter.
- Jang, Wookhyeon (1974.장욱현 law college) term2014-2018.5, ruling Saenuri party, 1974 admission law college) Yeongju city
mayor, Gyeongbuk province.former Daegu-Gyeongbuk SME office (대구경북중기청장)chief, MOTIE
- Kwon, Young-soo (권영수,1981)Vice governor.of Jejudo (제주도 행정부지사) since 2015.
- Kang, Eunhee (강은희 1982 admission)
Member of Parliament of 19th national assembly (2012-2016, ruling Saenuri party by Park, Geun-hye government 2013.3-2018.2)
Saenuri party M.P. speaker.
former Chairman of Korea woman IT association. former president of Daegu-based Winitech. www.winitech.co.kr security IT software company
- Kwak Jung Hwan (곽정환), president of Korean Professional Football League (K-League), former chairman of Peace United Family Party of South Korea
Arts and entertainment
- Kim Ch'un-su (김춘수), poet
Famous Korean poem of Kkot(꽃),Flower
- Lee Chang-dong (이창동), film director who won the Director's Award at the 2003 Venice Film Festival, former minister of Culture and Tourism
- Nana Keum (금나나), 2002 Miss Korea 'Jin' - attended and dropped out of KNU School of Medicine, only to later graduate from both Harvard and Columbia University in BioChemistry and Nutritional Science
- Uhm Ji-won (엄지원), actress
- Lee Sang Mi (이상미), singer (the First Award from 2005 MBC Campus Song Festival), actress
- Lee Jin Suk (이진숙), public relations director of MBC, the first war correspondent in Korea
Daejeon MBC president
- Choi Seung Ho (최승호), chief producer at MBC
- Wang Jong Geun (왕종근), former announcer at KBS
- So Won Young (소원영), CEO of Ulsan MBC
- Wang Hyeon Cheol (왕현철), chief of KBS Gangneung
- Lim Oh Jin (임오진), chief of KBS Pohang
- Ryu Hee-lim (류희림), director of Planning and Management of YTN YTN plus president
- Yoon Doo Hyeon (윤두현), vice director of Newsroom of YTN
Former chief mass media advisor the President Park,Geunhye government.
- Lee Eung Jin (이응진), director of TV drama production of KBS
- Kang Dong Gyun (강동균), director of Radio 2CP of MBC
- Kim Yoon Gon (김윤곤), reporter at The Chosun Ilbo, former chief of the Korea Copy Editors Association
- Kim Deok Jae (김덕재), producer at KBS, former chief of the Korea Producers&Directors Association
- Lee,Jong-won(이종원) KOG online
MMORG developer. founder and president. online game serviced via netmarble game publishing company. 400-employee multinational software company in Daegu. www.kog.co.kr
Via Top Korean mobile online publishing company netmarble
- Choo,Gyo-gwan(추교관)Winitech.Founder and President of IT software company in Daegu.
Smart security control system. 70% market share in Korea. anti-disaster and water quality monitoring system exporter across the globe. www.winitech.com
- Cho,Woongrae (조웅래) Chairman and owner of O2 Linn Soju in Daejeon -Chungnam area and Mackiss company.
Fun management pioneer in Korea. Daejeon-Chungnam area country rural area music festival movement founder at Mt. Gyejok global barefoot festival founder. www.mackiss.co.kr
- Cho,Pyunggyu (조평규) Vice chairman of China Yanda group.
Chief planner of 3,000bed Korean style Yanda international hospital, Hotel,Nusery school and 12,000 bed silver town in Beijing suburb,Yangyo,30 km West of Beijing metropolis.
Korea advanced medical system introduction to China.Seoul Wooridul Hospital www.wooridul.co.kr
,top Korean spine hospital chain in Korea and one of leading plastic surgery clinic, Neo plastic surgery www.neops.co.kr in Gangnam Plastic surgery belt.
- Ryu,Jihong (류지홍) kotra trade consultant
www.kotra.or.kr Ex-Hyundai corp. Istanbul & New Delhi
Resident Manager. Formet MBC TV reporter dismissed by Chun,Doohwan new military junta in 1980. Dictatorial Mass media control drive
(언론통폐합) policy .No Freedom of the press
era in the 1980s.
- Choi,Wonjoon(최원준) Choi,Won-joon internal clinic Doctor at Jamsil,Ex-Seoul
Asan General hospital doctor cum personal doctor (정주영 주치의)of Jung (Chung),Ju yung.the legendary Hyundai business group founder & entrepreneur.
- Chang,Myung-ho(장명호) CFO, Doosan
Heavy industries co.,ltd.
- Hong,Heeheum(홍희흠)former Chairman of Bank of Daegu.
- Bae Sang Myeon (배상면), founder of KOOKSOONDANG Barkseju brand traditional liquor maker in Daegu.
- Kim Soon Taek (김순택),Ex- vice chairman of Samsung Group, former CEO of Samsung SDI
- Lee Sang-hoon (이상훈), one of the CEOs of the Samsung Group
- Ahn Won Hyeong (안원형), CLO of LS Cable
- Kim Kwang Soo (김광수), founder and CEO of NICE Group
- Lee Soo-il (이수일), CEO of Hankook Tire America
- Park Sae Jun (박세준), CEO of Amway Korea
- Kim Soon Hwa (김순화), vice-president of Hyundai Mobis
- Oh Sang Soo (오상수), CEO of Mando Corporation
- Kim Jong-en (김종은), CEO of Hyundai Motors America
- Kim,Won-gyu (김원규) CEO of NH secrities company(ex-Woori security)
- Lee Donghyung (이동형), developer and CEO of Cyworld
- Jeon Dongsu (전동수), CEO of semiconductor part of Samsung Electronics
- Choi Oi-hong (최외홍), CEO of Samsung Venture Investment
- Lee,Young-woo(이영우) Superintendent of (3선 민선교육감)Gyeongsang buk-do education,
Former professor of Kyumgpook national university president.
- Cha,Yong-seok (차용석) former criminal law professor of Kyungpook national university in the 1970s, Hanyang university Dean of law college in Seoul.
- Kim Soon-kwon (김순권), better known in Korea as "Dr. Corn" or in Africa as "Green Revolutionary", was nominated to Nobel Prize in 1992, 1993 and 1996
- Yu,Deokjong (유덕종) Philanthropy Doctor
23 service in Uganda,Africa. The Korean Schweizer in Kampala Makere university,Medical Dr. of Kyungpook
national university of medical college.
The Asan philanthropy prize winner in 2015
by Asan medical foundation. Asan is Hyundai group founder cum entrepreneur Jung (Chung), Ju yung Ho,Oriental Nickname.
- Park Chan-suk (박찬석), former president of Kyungpook National University, 17th the member of National Assembly of South Korea Geography professor .
- Kim Young-ho (김영호), president of Yuhan University in Bucheon, former the Minister of Commerce, Industry and Energy.former Kyungpook national university professor,econmist
- Lee,Jungu (이준구) former president of Gyeongju university. Constitutional law professor of law department,Gyungpook national university
- Kim Sung-soo (김성수), president of Kosin University
- Sohn Seok-rak (손석락), president of Daegu National University of Education
- Jung Hong-sub (정홍섭), president of Silla University, former the chief of Presidential Committee on Education Innovation
- Lee Sang-gyu (이상규), former Director General of The National Academy of the Korean Language.Kyungpook national university professor Korean literature department.
- Kim,Chang-jong(1975.김창종 law department)
Justice,Constitutional court of Korea one of 9 justices of constitutional court of Korea 3Justices by President of Korea,3 recommended by national assembly,3 by Chief of Grand court of Korea called Daebeopwon jang
Jaepanso in Seoul
- Park,Sun-ki(1973,박선기 law department)
Lawyer,Korea bar association
Former ICTR justice Former Chief of Law affairs,Ministry of Defense,Leutinent general
- Kwon,Hyeok-jae(권혁재 1974,law department) Dean of law school of Kyungpook national university.
law college professor.former senior judge (Bujang pansa)
- Kim,Jakbae (김학배,1975 law department)
Former Daejeon regional police department chief. (대전 지방 경찰청장, 치안감) lawyer.
- Kim,Jongpil (김종필 ,1981law department)lawyer
former presidential legal advisor (청와대 법률비서관) in 2014 Park,Geunhye government. former Senior judge of Korea family court of Seoul.
- ((Kyungpook National University hospital))
www.knuh.kr KNU hospital .Daegu KNU hospital .Chilgok
- KNU Statistics, http://knuinfo.knu.ac.kr/statistics/Student.hwp students include one doctoral-postgraduate combination student