Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi
|Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thii|
Intertitle of Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi.
|Created by||Balaji Telefilms|
R M Joshi, Salil Sand, Anil Nagpal, Koel Chaudhary, Mitesh Shah & Swati Shah
R M Joshi, Vipul Mehta, Bhavin Patel, Nayana Dasgupta, Mitesh Shah, Salil Sand, Kamlesh Kunti Singh, Anil Nagpal, Archita Biswas, Mrinal Jha and Swati Shah
Dilip Rawal, Anand Gandhi, Sunjoy Shekhar, Rekkha Modi, Brij Mohan Pandey and Vinod Sharma
|Directed by||Ashish Patil, Kaushik Ghatak, Nivedita Basu Suraj Rao, Santosh Badal, Dharmesh Shah, Santram Verma, Garry Bhinder, Deepak Chavan, Sanotsh Bhatt, Fahad Kashmiri, Avhiroop Mazzumdar, Jeetu Arora, Santosh Kolhe, Vicky Chauhan, Rohit Dwivedi, Deepak Sharma, Shyam Maheshwari, Talat Jani, Hitesh Tejwani and many more|
|Creative director(s)||Monisha Singh, Aparna Dubey, Ekta R Bahri, Bhairvi Shah, Shivangi Singh Chauhan, Shipra Arora, Doyel Som, Vikas Gupta|
|Opening theme||Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi by Priya Bhattacharya|
|Country of origin||India|
|No. of episodes||1833|
|Producer(s)||Ekta Kapoor and Shobha Kapoor|
|Editor(s)||Dharmesh Shah, Sanjeev Shukla, and Sagar S Naighojkar|
|Cinematography||Raju Halasagi, Sudesh Kotian, Deepak Malwankar, Sanjay Malwankar, Ashok Salian and Sanjay Memane|
|Running time||24 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Balaji Telefilms|
|Original network||STAR Plus|
|Picture format||576i (SDTV)|
|Original release||3 July 2000 – 6 November 2008|
Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi (English: Because a mother-in-law was once a daughter-in-law, too) is an Indian soap opera that premiered on 3 July 2000 on Star Plus. The show revolves around an ideal daughter-in-law Tulsi Virani, the daughter of a pandit married to the grandson of rich business tycoon Govardhan Virani. The role of the protagonist Tulsi Virani was played by Smriti Irani. The show was co-produced by Shobha Kapoor and Ekta Kapoor under their banner Balaji Telefilms.
Produced with the back-drop of Mumbai and the concept of an ideal Gujarati joint family, the show made Producer Ekta Kapoor and Network Star Plus achieve great heights of success, by not only being the number 1 show on Indian Television for eight constant long years but also receiving great TRPs. The show also went on to receive several awards, most of which were won by Smriti Irani for her portrayal of the ideal character Tulsi. The show also won Best Continuing Series at Indian Telly Awards for six consecutive years (2002-2007) and won Best Serial (Popular) for five consecutive years(2001-2005) at Indian Television Academy Awards.
Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi was dubbed in Sinhala language and broadcast on Sirasa TV where it was titled as Maha Gedara ("Big Home" in Sinhalese). It was also dubbed in Dari language and was aired on Tolo TV in Afghanistan.
The show is one of the longest running daily soap on Indian television, running from 2000-2008 and completing 1833 episodes. The show set a benchmark by maintaining double digit TRPs for over five years in succession and its numero uno position among the Indian television shows throughout its run. Even in its eighth year 2008, the show was the topmost show on Indian television averaging a TRP of 5.4.
The death of the character of Mihir Virani in 2001 lead to fan protest marches to bring back the character back. The return of Mihir Virani brought an all-time high TRP of 22.4 for the show which has been the highest TRP achieved by an Indian serial.
After being cut, the studio took the station to court asserting that they had a contract through March 2009 and that the station had not provided appropriate promotion. The claims were dismissed in November 2008.
||This article's plot summary may be too long or excessively detailed. (April 2015)|
||This article may require copy editing for grammar, style, cohesion, tone, or spelling. (October 2015)|
The show revolves around the protagonist Tulsi Virani (Smriti Irani), the ideal daughter of her father who falls in love with Mihir Virani, the grandson of Govardhan Virani, the rich business tycoon and marries him and becomes the ideal daughter-in-law of the family. The story also focuses on how she deals with daily life and with her mother-in-law Savita Virani. At first the family chooses Payal for Mihir but then Mihir gets married to Tulsi when he realises that Payal is a gold digger. She is nearest and loved to Mihir's grandmother Amba Virani, affectionately called "Baa" by whole family. Tulsi gives birth to her first child Gautam. While she is pregnant with her second child it is revealed that Aarti, her sister - in - law, wife of Mihir's real brother Kiran can never bear child. She decides to give them Gautam but in the turn of events Kiran and his wife escape with Gautam without letting anyone know about it and hence Tulsi loses her child. Subsequently she goes into labour and gives birth to a girl Shobha. Meanwhile, Mihir's four cousins move ahead with their lives. Chirag who is in T.V. industry marries Prajakta much to his mother Daksha's dislike but who remains to be Tulsi's confidante. While Sejal and Suhani get married and go to their matrimonial homes ' the other cousin Hemant marries his assistant Pooja. The show then takes a 20 years leap. It is shown that Tulsi and Mihir are now proud parents of Shobha and of a son Harsh. Sahil and Tarun are sons of Hemant and Pooja. Sejal has divorced her husband and living in Virani mansion with her daughter Indu. Chirag is father of twin daughters. Tulsi is still waiting for her eldest son Gautam. Meanwhile, after some time Hemant and Pooja along with their son Tarun move to Australia while Sahil lives in Mumbai to take care of the family business. Chirag too shifts with his family to U.S.A when he gets a big job offer. Suhani is happy in her matrimonial home. Thereafter Gautam returns while it is shown that Kiran has a daughter Kairshma. Gautam comes to know about his real parents and thus moves to Virani mansion but he is quite spoiled and always remained in conflict over business issues with his cousin Sahil. There after he pretends to love his family and having a change of heart but that is not so. Tulsi gets him engaged with a shy' sweet girl Ganga who is indebted to Virani family for being a support of her widow mother. Unknown to Tulsi, Gautam loves Teesha and Sahil and Ganga are in love, but for Tulsi's wish Sahil and Ganga decide to sacrifice their love and Gautam becomes more resentful of his mother. After some time he divorces her and gets her married to Sahil and he himself marries Teesha. The whole family is happy. Shobha is also married by then. As fate has it pregnant Teesha and Gautam meet an accident and thus Teesha dies. Gautam is distraught and he again becomes violent and obstinate. Then he marries Damini just to irritate her but gradually falls in love with her. Then a time comes when Damini and Ganga both are pregnant but on Janmashtami Ganga suffers a miscarriage and Damini gives one of her twin boys, Nakul to Ganga much to Gautam's dislike. Shobha is widowed while she is pregnant. Then it is revealed by Tulsi's sister Kesar that Harsh is her son not Tulsi's . She was pregnant with Harsh at the same time when Tulsi was expecting her third child. Kesar was bearing an illegitimate child who was not fathered by her husband. The father of the child was a criminal with whom she came in contact when her husband was out on his touring job. When both the ladies gave birth to baby boys at the very same time and when Kesar was holding Tulsi's baby in the nursery the father of her child Raj Malhotra came and misunderstood the baby in Kesar's arms to be his and fled with it . Thus helpless Kesar put her own baby as Tulsi's and told her that she had a miscarriage. Then she went on living life with her husband and two daughters. Thus hunt for Tulsi's son starts and ended in Aditya Gujaral's house. Tulsi's son was now Ansh Gujaral; son of famous business tycoon and underworld criminal Aditya Gujaral who was an accomplice of Raj Malhotra. He before dying gave his son to Gujaral and he brought him as his son; his pride. Ansh was a spoiled brat who knows nothing but evil. Aditya Gujaral on coming to know about the truth agrees to give in Ansh but in the back stage he has conspired with Ansh to get hold of Virani's wealth and property. When Ansh comes he becomes obsessed with Nandini who is a friend of Karan. Karan is Mihir's son but not from Tulsi. His mother is Dr. Mandira Malaria with whom Mihir accidentally came in contact with while he lost his memory in Australia. After 20 years Tulsi came to know about this step son of hers but bravely decides to give him the name of his father and accepts him as her own son. Though reluctant at first Karan becomes devoted to Tulsi and values her more than his own mother. They share a precious bond that is rarely even seen between real mother and son. Thus though Nandini and Karan were in love Karan sacrifices her for Tulsi's real son as a token of gratitude towards her. Ansh leaves no stone unturned in wooing her but could not turn her heart towards him. She marries him as a duty to her lover and now in severe pain. Ansh on the other hand in eagerness to consummate the marriage rapes Nandini brutally. Karan and Tulsi could not save her. Ansh gets framed in marital rape case with the help of a lawyer Meera Singhania who becomes friend of Tulsi. She develops feelings for Mihir but decided not to do anything about that. Ansh thus absconds and tries to kill Nandini in a fit of rage. Tulsi shoots him dead and goes on to suffer imprisonment. Nandini meets with an accident while she was pregnant with Ansh's child. She delivers a girl, Bhoomi and herself goes into coma. Karan marries Nandidni's friend Tanya to take care of Bhoomi. Meanwhile, Ganga delivers a baby boy; Lakshya. Three years pass. When Tanya comes to know of her pregnancy Nandini comes out of coma. Karan and Nandini start living as couple and the truth of his marriage with Tanya is not revealed to her. Subsequently she comes to know about that and accepts Tanya and her child. However, in a mysterious turn of events Aditya Gujaral dies and Karan takes the blame on him. Nandini comes forward and reveals that she is the actual murderer as he was trying to snatch Bhoomi from her. She goes on to serve life sentence while she was pregnant with Karan's child. It was revealed meanwhile that Ansh prior to coming in Viranis' life had a wife Shraddha and a son Eklavya. Shradha has died and Gautam adopts Eklavya . Meanwhile, Ganga is ousted from house as Sahil engages in affair with Tripti his colleague and marries her. Meera is madly in love with Mihir and wants to throw Tulsi out from Mihir's life. She conspires with Mandira against Tulsi. Mihir's mother Savita happens to know about their conspiracy and vows to expose them. Mandira and Meera cause Savita's accident in which she dies. Meera cleverly puts the blame of Savita's death on Tulsi and she is thrown out from the house. Show takes 20 years leap. Tulsi's grandchildren are now grown up. Nandini is missing from the prison and presumed to be dead. Ganga has strained all ties from the family and nobody has heard from her. Tulsi in fact is alive and is living in Haridwar taking care of her adopted daughter Krishna Tulsi aka KT ; her replica. She returns to Mumbai with KT. Soon, misunderstandings created by Meera are all cleared up and Tulsi is reunited with her family. Meera is jailed for murdering Savita. The story now focuses on Tulsi's life as a grandmother and the trials and tribulations she deals with.
In the final episode, Parvati (Sakshi Tanwar) from Kahaani Ghar Ghar Kii states that she has Tulsi's grandson "Parth" who is Karan and Nandini's long-lost son. She states that she has raised him and that she had told Baa to name the entire wealth after him. 
- Dinesh Thakur / Sudhir Dalvi as Govardhan Virani
- Sudha Shivpuri as Amba Govardhan Virani
- Shakti Singh as Mansukh Govardhan Virani
- Jitendra SD as Himmat Govardhan Virani
- Muni Jha as Jamnadas Govardhan Virani
- Apara Mehta as Savita Mansukh Virani
- Ketki Dave as Daksha Himmat Virani
- Kamalika Guha Thakurta as Gayatri Jamnadas Virani
- Amar Upadhyay / Inder Kumar / Ronit Roy as Mihir Mansukh Virani
- Jiten Lalwani as Kiran Mansukh Virani
- Hussain Kuwajerwala / Amit Mistry as Chirag Himmat Virani
- Pooja Ghai Rawal as Suhasi Himmat Virani / Suhasi Rakesh Mehta
- Rakesh Paul as Vikram Naveen Sanghvi
- Shakti Anand as Hemant Jamnadas Virani
- Khyaati Khandke Keswani as Sejal Jamnadas Virani / Sejal Anand Gandhi
- Smriti Irani as Tulsi Mihir Virani
- Eva Grover / Rushali Arora as Aarti Patel / Aarti Kiran Virani
- Aman Verma as Anupam Kapadia
- Mandira Bedi / Achint Kaur as Dr.Mandira Kapadia / Dr.Mandira Mihir Virani / Priyanka Dutta / Dr.Mandira Kiran Virani / Dr. Mandira Aditya Gujral
- Narayani Shastri / Resham Tipnis as Kesar Anupam Kapadia
- Tuhinna Vohra as Prajakta Deshmukh / Prajakta Chirag Virani
- Prachi Shah as Pooja Hemant Virani
- Jaya Bhattacharya as Payal Parikh / Payal Pratap Mehra
- Romanchak Arora as Anand Gandhi
- Prashant Bhatt as Rakesh Mehta
- Pratim Parekh as Naveen Sanghvi
- Utkarsha Naik as Pragya Govardhan Virani / Pragya Naveen Sanghvi
- Shubhavi K. as Advocate Meera Singhania
- Makrand Deshpande as Advocate Vijay Saxena
- Vishal Puri as Raj Bhasin
- Salim Shah as Aditya Gujral
- Ram Kapoor as Advocate Shahdaab / Jas Thakral
- Gautami Kapoor as Juhi Jas Thakral / Tulsi Mihir Virani
- Sumeet Sachdev as Gautam Mihir Virani / Gautam Kiran Virani
- Hiten Tejwani as Karan Mihir Virani
- Akashdeep Saigal as Ansh Mihir Virani / Ansh Aditya Gujral / Eklavya Ansh Virani / Eklavya Ansh Gujral / Eklavya Gautam Virani
- Ritu Chaudhary as Shobha Mihir Virani / Shobha Vishal Mehra
- Mehul Kajaria as Harsh Raj Bhasin / Harsh Mihir Virani
- Kiran Dubey as Karishma Kiran Virani / Karishma Shantanu Dey
- Hansika Motwani / Chandni Bhagwanani as Child Bavri Chirag Virani
- Mausami as Child Savri Chirag Virani
- Amita Chandekar as Bavri Chirag Virani
- Sandeep Baswana / Amit Sareen / Sandeep Baswana as Sahil Hemant Virani
- Abhijit Khurana / Aloke Desai as Tarun Hemant Virani
- Karishma Tanna as Indira Anand Gandhi
- Chaitanya Choudhury as Kabir Patel
- Shabbir Ahluwalia as Aniket Rakesh Mehta
- Karanvir Bohra / Pradeep Kharab / Samir Sharma as Tushar Rakesh Mehta
- Ashlesha Sawant as Teesha Mehta / Teesha Gautam Virani
- Riva Bubber / Ravee Gupta / Riva Bubber as Damini Khanna / Damini Gautam Virani
- Gauri Pradhan Tejwani as Nandini Thakkar / Nandini Ansh Virani / Nandini Ansh Gujral / Nandini Karan Virani
- Nikhil Arya as Aseem Gupta
- Rakshanda Khan as Tanya Malhotra / Tanya Karan Virani
- Moonmoon Banerjee as Shraddha Ansh Virani / Shraddha Ansh Gujral
- Rohit Bakshi (actor) as Vishal Pratap Mehra
- Sonal Chainani as Urvashi Pratap Mehra
- Tasneem Sheikh as Mohini Mittal / Mohini Harsh Virani
- Narendra Jha as Shantanu Dey
- Vivan Bhatena / Nasir Kazi as Abhishek
- Shilpa Saklani as Ganga Joshi / Ganga Gautam Virani / Ganga Sahil Virani / Ganga Mehta / Ganga Sahil Virani
- Yash Tonk as Shiv Singhania
- Suvarna Jha as Tripti Rishabh Malhotra / Tripti Sahil Virani / Babli
- Reshmi Ghosh as Bhoomi Ansh Virani / Bhoomi Ansh Gujral / Bhoomi Karan Virani / Bhoomi Joydeep Virani
- Salil Acharya as Billy Jas Thakral
- Amit Tandon as Manthan Karan Virani
- Pulkit Samrat / Yash Pandit as Lakshya Sahil Virani
- Mouni Roy as Krishna Tulsi Eklavya Virani
- Garima Bhatnagar as Pari
- Naman Shaw as Nakul Gautam Virani / Nakul Sahil Virani
- Manav Vij as Joydeep Sahil Virani
- Gunjan Vijaya as Archita Harsh Virani / Archita Abir Bhasin
- Manoj Biddvai / Vikas Sethi as Abir Raj Bhasin
- Kratika Sengar / Anita Hassanandani as Sanchi Nakul Virani
- Tia Bajpai as Vaidehi Lakshya Virani
- Hasan Zaidi as Advocate Aditya Rai Singhania
- Kratika Sengar as Sugandi Mihir Virani
- Sandeep Rajora as Inspector Aryan
- Sudha Chandran as Justice Renuka Chaudhary / ACP Ragini Suryavanshi
- Prabhat Bhattacharya as Rishabh Malhotra
- Priyanka Raina as Doctor
- Meena Sonavane as Family Friend
- Deepak Verma as Rahul
- Chetan Hansraj as Inspector Maan Singh Chauhan
- Chinky Jaiswal as Child Bhoomi Ansh Virani / Child Bhoomi Ansh Gujral / Child Bhoomi Karan Virani
- Rahul Lohani as Mayank Gautam Virani
- Sakshi Tanwar as Parvati Om Agarwal / Janki Devi Dixit
- Suhasini Mulay as Kaushalya Malhotra
- Amey Pandya as Child Eklavya Ansh Virani
- Aditya Kapadia as Hitesh Chirag Virani
- Anurag Nigam as Sunny Chirag Virani
- Induben Mehta as Godawari Dadi
- Sandeep Mohan as Police Inspector
- Hemant Choudhary as Inspector Ashutosh
- Parmeet Sethi as Ravi
- Rocky Verma as Manager
- Sunny Moza as Sunny
- Nikhil Guharoy as Kabir Sikand
- Aashka Goradia as Razia
- Cezanne Khan as Rizwan
- Eijaz Khan as Zuber
- Manish Khanna as Advocate Mehta
- Ekta Kapoor as Ekta Kapoor
- Shahab Khan as Aditya Gujral's Advocate
- Jeetendra Kapoor as Jitesh Kothari
- Angad Hasija as Angad
- Aruna Irani as Narayani Devi
- Ali Asgar as Kamal Vishwanath Agarwal
- Mita Vashisht as Trishna Kamal Agarwal
|2002||Kalakar Awards||Best Actor (Popular)||Amar Upadhyay||Mihir Virani|
|2004||Kalakar Awards||Best Actor (Popular)||Ronit Roy||Mihir Virani|
|Best Actress (Popular)||Jaya Bhattacharya||Payal Mehra|
|Best Serial||Ekta Kapoor|
|Best Title Singer||Priya Bhattacharya|
- Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi continues to top the charts with a TRP of 11!
- The rise & rise of Ekta Kapoor
- How Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi changed the fortunes of Star Plus
- "Kyunki dubbed in Sri Lanka also holds top position in Sri Lanka".
- Out of Kyunki But Tulsi rises!
- Tulsi, the most popular ‘bahu’ of Afghanistan
- Indian soaps stir outrage in Afghanistan due to their rising popularity
- Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi is top show in Afghanistan
- Afghanistan set to ban Indian TV serials reasoning their rising popularity in the country
- "Star Plus Still Going Strong with Kyunki".
- "Post-IPL, soaps back on top of TRP charts".
- What's next on Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi
- Nation wants Mihir Virani back in Kyunki alive
- "Kyunki Saas gets 22.4 TVR".
- "Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi Still Reigning Indian Television".
- Rediff (7 November 2008). "Court says no to Kyunki". Rediff. Retrieved 21 October 2014.
- Saas bahu saga comes to an end today
- It's the end of history, Kyunki ends tonight
- "Kyunki comes to a tragic end!". Retrieved 2011-04-26.
- "Winners of Indian Telly Awards 2002".
- "Winners of Indian Telly Awards 2003".
- "Winners of Indian Telly Awards 2004".
- "Winners of Indian Telly Awards 2005".
- "Winners of Indian Telly Awards 2006".
- "Winners of Indian Telly Awards 2007".
- "Winners of Indian Telly Awards 2010".
- "Winners of Indian Television Academy Awards 2001".
- "Winners of Indian Television Academy Awards 2002".
- "Winners of Indian Television Academy Awards 2003".
- "Winners of Indian Television Academy Awards 2004".
- "Winners of Indian Television Academy Awards 2005".
- "Winners of Indian Television Academy Awards 2006".
- "Kyunki team honoured at ITA Milestone Awards".
- "Winners of Kalakar Awards" (PDF).
- Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi on hotstar
- Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi at the Internet Movie Database