An oxeye daisy and a cow in Hokkasenaho, Kyyjärvi
Location of Kyyjärvi in Finland
|• Municipal manager||Eero Ylitalo|
|• Total||469.62 km2 (181.32 sq mi)|
|• Land||448.23 km2 (173.06 sq mi)|
|• Water||21.39 km2 (8.26 sq mi)|
|Area rank||240th largest in Finland|
|• Rank||311th largest in Finland|
|• Density||3.06/km2 (7.9/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||99.5% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||15.1%|
|• 15 to 64||61.8%|
|• 65 or older||23%|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
|Municipal tax rate||19%|
It is located in the province of Western Finland and is part of the Central Finland region. The municipality has a population of 1,371 (31 March 2016) and covers an area of 469.62 square kilometres (181.32 sq mi) of which 21.39 km2 (8.26 sq mi) is water. There are all together 46 lakes in Kyyjärvi. Biggest lakes in Kyyjärvi are Lake Kyyjärvi, Heinuanjärvi and Kirvesjärvi. The population density is 3.06 inhabitants per square kilometre (7.9/sq mi).
The municipality is unilingually Finnish.
The municipality centre is located on the shores of lake Kyyjärvi. Little villages Hokkala, Koskimäki-Huhtala, Kumpula, Noposenaho, Hokkasenaho, Nurmijoki, Oikari, Peuralinna, Pölkki, Saunakylä and Vehkaperä are living mostly from primary production (farming and forestry). Due to its location on the crossroads of two main Finnish roads (Valtatie 13 and 16) the municipality has also a remarkable amount of services and little companies compared to its size.
The origin of the name of Kyyjärvi is unknown but there are few theories of it. The first part of the name, "kyy", is Finnish word for adder (Vipera berus), a venomous snake. Järvi is Finnish word for lake. Adders can be found in Kyyjärvi, as everywhere in Finland. Another theory is that the first citizens moved to the area from the lake Kyyvesi and gave the name Kyyjärvi for their new home area and lake.
- "Area by municipality as of 1 January 2011" (PDF) (in Finnish and Swedish). Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 9 March 2011.
- "Ennakkoväkiluku sukupuolen mukaan alueittain, maaliskuu.2016" (in Finnish). Statistics Finland. Retrieved 31 March 2016.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- "Kyyjärvi". Järviwiki. Finland's Environmental Administration. 2012. Retrieved 27 February 2012.
- "Ystäväkuntalista" (PDF) (in Finnish). Pohjola-Norden. Retrieved 7 May 2012.
- "Suomen kuntien ystävyyskunnat Virossa" (in Finnish). Suomen suurlähetystö Virossa. Retrieved 7 May 2012.
Media related to Kyyjärvi at Wikimedia Commons