In 1891, L'Illustration became the first French newspaper to publish a photograph. Many of these photographs came from syndicated photo-press agencies like Chusseau-Flaviens, but the publication also employed its own photographers such as Léon Gimpel and others. In 1907, L'Illustration was the first to publish a color photograph. It also published Gaston Leroux' novel Le mystère de la chambre jaune as a serial a year before its 1908 release.
During the Second World War, while it was owned by the Baschet family, L'Illustration supported Marshal Philippe Pétain's Révolution nationale. However, it turned down pro-German articles by Jacques Bouly de Lesdain. However, Lesdain later became its political editor.
- French Wartime Magazines and Periodicals: L'Illustration.
- Geneste, Elsa (2013). "René Maran et la Résistance : enquête sur une prétendue collaboration". Présence Africaine. 1 (187-188): 139–152. doi:10.3917/presa.187.0139. Retrieved October 4, 2016 – via Cairn.info. (Registration required (. ))
- Lackerstein, Debbie (March 2012). National Regeneration in Vichy France: Ideas and Policies, 1930-1944. Ashgate. p. 210. ISBN 978-0754667216.
- Lambauer, Barbara (2004). "Otto Abetz, inspirateur et catalyseur de la collaboration culturelle". In Betz, Albrecht; Martens, Stefan. Les intellectuels et l’Occupation, 1940-1944. Paris: Autrement. pp. 64–89. ISBN 9782746705401. Retrieved October 4, 2016 – via Cairn.info. (Registration required (. ))
- Grenier, Jean (1997). Sous l'Occupation (Collection "Pour mémoire") (in French). Publisher: C. Paulhan. ISBN 978-2912222008.
- Marchandiau Jean-Noël. (1987). L'Illustration : vie et mort d'un journal, 1843-1944. Toulouse : Éditions Privat. ISBN 978-2-7089-5335-2; OCLC 17695376
- Media related to L'Illustration at Wikimedia Commons
- Official website of L'Illustration company which have published L'Illustration
- Hathi Trust. L'Illustration, digitized issues
|This French newspaper-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|