June/July 2013 cover
L'Officiel (French pronunciation: [lɔfisjɛl]) is a French fashion magazine. It has been published in Paris since 1921 and targets upper-income, educated women aged 25 to 49. In 2006, it had a circulation of 101,719. A men's edition of L'Officiel, L'Officiel Hommes, and many foreign editions are also published. The complete name of the magazine is "L'Officiel de la couture et de la mode de Paris".
L'Officiel was first published by Andrée Castaniée in 1921. Georges Jalou joined the magazine as artistic director in 1932. Soon after, L'Officiel launched the careers of designers including Pierre Balmain, Cristóbal Balenciaga, Christian Dior, and Yves St. Laurent, and the magazine became "the Bible of fashion and of high society". Jalou later became the magazine's general director, and ultimately purchased the publication. He transferred ownership of L'Officiel to his three children in 1986: Laurent Jalou became the president of Editions Jalou, Marie-José Susskind-Jalou directed its editorial content, and Maxime Jalou was responsible for publication. After Laurent died of a heart attack in January 2003, Marie-José Susskind-Jalou became the company's president. In recent years, the publication has taken a more youthful, energetic approach to fashion.
In 1996 L'Officiel began licensing its name to publishers outside France. Foreign editions of L'Officiel are published in Russia, Japan, India (also available in the United Kingdom), China, United Arab Emirates, Brazil, Greece, Latvia, Lithuania, Morocco, Mexico, Netherlands, Ukraine, Serbia, Central Asia, Turkey, Italy, Thailand, Singapore. and recently, Philippines.The first issue in Vietnam is published in July 2015
- (French) Corine Moriou. "Le groupe édite L'Officiel, Jalouse, L'Optimum, etc.; Jalou, les magazines qui font des jaloux". L'Entreprise (September 1, 2006), p. 54.
- "Lifestyle Mag L'Officiel to be Published in Latvia from Sept". Baltic News Service (March 10, 2008). (Via LexisNexis.)
- Agnes Rocamora (30 April 2009). Fashioning the City: Paris, Fashion and the Media. I.B.Tauris. p. 63. ISBN 978-0-85773-113-5. Retrieved 21 March 2015.
- "la bible de la mode et des élégantes"
- "Fashion magazine launched in UK". Press Trust of India (June 14, 2007).
- "Thai edition of French fashion mag launched." The Nation News. (March 12, 2012)