|Opera by Ermanno Wolf-Ferrari|
|Based on||L'Amour médecin|
4 December 1913(in German)
L'amore medico (Doctor Cupid, also known as The Love Doctor) is an opera in two acts by composer Ermanno Wolf-Ferrari. Based on Molière's comedy L'Amour médecin, the work uses an Italian language libretto by Enrico Golisciani. It premiered in a German version by Richard Batka on 4 December 1913 at the Hoftheater in Dresden under the title Der Liebhaber als Arzt.
The opera's United States premiere took place on 25 March 1914 at the Metropolitan Opera in New York City, conducted by Arturo Toscanini. It was first performed in Italy on 6 March 1929 at the Teatro Regio (Turin), conducted by Franco Capuana.
|Role||Voice type||Premiere cast
4 December 1913
|USA premiere cast, 25 March 1914|
Conductor: Arturo Toscanini
|Lucinda, Arnolfo's daughter||soprano||Lucrezia Bori|
|Clitandro, Lucinda's admirer||tenor||Italo Cristalli|
|Lisetta, a servant||soprano||Bella Alten|
|Tomes, a doctor||bass||Léon Rothier|
|Desfonandres, a doctor||bass||Andrés de Segurola|
|Macroton, a doctor||baritone||Robert Leonhardt|
|Bahis, a doctor||tenor||Angelo Badà|
- Doctor Cupid (L'amore medico): Wolf-Ferrari's Comic Opera Based on a Comedy by Molière, Punch Opera
- Music conducted by Rex Wilder
- Directed by Nelson Sykes
- Pianists: Robert Boberg and Barbara Ylvisaker
- Sung in English by: Anita Beltram (Lucinda), John Miller (Clitandro), Martha Moore Sykes (Lisetta), Milton Gorman (Papa), Richard Roussin (Doctor Tomes); Bettie Harris Fox (Astrologer); Rex Coston (Magician); Margaret Fittz (Gypsy)
- Recording date: 1952
- Label: Abbey Records, LP No. 5
- Wolf-Ferrari: Orchestral Works, BBC Philharmonic
- Casaglia, Gherardo (2005). "Der Liebhaber als Arzt, 4 December 1913". L'Almanacco di Gherardo Casaglia (in Italian).
- "L'Amore Medico Has Comedy Spirit". The New York Times. March 26, 1914. Retrieved 18 August 2020.
Wolf-Ferrari's Opera, Based on Moliere's Fanciful Tale, Sung for First Time in America. Perfection of Ensemble in Singing, Action, and Orchestra Playing. Bori, Alten, Cristalli Heard. ... Another new opera was produced at the Metropolitan Opera House last evening for the first time in America, Ermanno Wolf-Ferrari's L'Amore Medico.
- Casaglia, Gherardo (2005). "L´amore medico, 25 March 1914". L'Almanacco di Gherardo Casaglia (in Italian).
- Casaglia, Gherardo (2005). "L´amore medico, 6 March 1929". L'Almanacco di Gherardo Casaglia (in Italian).
- Waterhouse, John C. G. (1992), "Amore medico, L" in The New Grove Dictionary of Opera, ed. Stanley Sadie (London) ISBN 0-333-73432-7