|Cardinal, Archbishop Emeritus of Esztergom-Budapest|
|Installed||3 March 1987|
|Term ended||7 December 2002|
|Other posts||Cardinal-Priest of S. Teresa al Corso d’Italia|
|Ordination||3 March 1951|
|Created cardinal||28 June 1988|
|Rank||Archbishop Emeritus of Esztergom-Budapest|
|Born||8 May 1927|
|Died||17 August 2015 (aged 88)|
|Coat of arms|
He was ordained a priest at the age of 23, on 3 March 1951, joining the Order of Friars Minor. After his ordination he did pastoral work in the diocese of Nagyvarad before being sent to Budapest for further studies. In Szeged, he served as episcopal master of ceremonies from 1952 to 1955. After this he was a faculty member and librarian of the seminary, 1955–1962. Thereafter serving as prefect of the Interdiocesan Seminary, faculty member and spiritual director until 1965. He later served as a faculty member and spiritual director and finally rector of the Central Seminary, Budapest. On 2 March 1978 he was chosen Apostolic Administrator of Veszprém, becoming a bishop that same day, with the titular see of Bavagaliana.
Pope John Paul II appointed him Archbishop of Veszprém on 31 March 1979. He was appointed Primate of Hungary and Archbishop of Esztergom on 3 March 1987. He was created Cardinal-Priest of Santa Teresa al Corso d'Italia. In 1993 the dioceses of Esztergom was united with that of Budapest, so that Cardinal Paskai was the first Archbishop of Esztergom-Budapest. Cardinal Paskai retired as Archbishop of Esztergom-Budapest in 2002.
On 17 July 2011, he celebrated the last in a series of requiems for Otto von Habsburg, Hungary's last Crown Prince and since pretender to the throne, in St. Stephen's Basilica in Budapest. He died on 17 August 2015 at the age of 88.
- Paskai, Antal: Menekülésünk története 1944–1945 [The Story of our Escape 1944–1945], Budapest, 2009 (In this book, the Cardinal's elder brother recounts their life during the Holocaust.)
- "Meetings with Foreigners, 1989" (PDF). The George Bush Presidential Library and Museum. p. 24. Retrieved 1 July 2016.
- "Ökumene-Feier zur Herzbestattung Habsburgs". Kathweb.at. Retrieved 12 July 2011.
- Elhunyt Paskai László bíboros Archived 24 September 2015 at the Wayback Machine - Archdiocese of Esztergom-Budapest, 2015-08-17.
- "László Cardinal Paskai, O.F.M." catholic-hierarchy.org. Retrieved 25 January 2010.
- Stirling János, ed. (2003). In virtute spiritus. A Szent István Akadémia emlékkönyve Paskai László bíboros tiszteletére (in Hungarian). Budapest: Szent István Társulat.
- "Paskai László bíboros 80 éves" (in Hungarian). Magyar Katolikus Püspöki Konferencia. 8 May 2007. Retrieved 25 January 2010.
|Catholic Church titles|
| Bishop of Veszprém
31 March 1979 – 5 April 1982
| Archbishop of Esztergom-Budapest
3 March 1987 – 7 December 2002