|Classification and external resources|
Some have considered the condition to be imprecisely defined.
It is characterized by enlargement of the lymph nodes near the inner border of the lungs (called "hilar lymphadenopathy") as seen on x-ray, and tender red nodules (erythema nodosum) are classically present on the skins, predominantly in women. It may also be accompanied by arthritis (more prominent in men) and fever. The arthritis is often acute and involves the lower extremities.
Löfgren syndrome is associated with a good prognosis,with > 90% of patients experiencing disease resolution within 2 years.
In contrast, patients with the disfiguring skin condition lupus pernio or cardiac or neurologic involvement rarely experience disease remission.
Recent studies have demonstrated that the HLA-DQB1*0201 is strongly associated with Löfgren syndrome.
NSAIDs (non steroid anti-inflammatory drug) is the usual recommended treatment for Löfgren syndrome.
- Ohta H, Tazawa R, Nakamura A et al. (2006). "Acute-onset sarcoidosis with erythema nodosum and polyarthralgia (Löfgren's syndrome) in Japan: a case report and a review of the literature". Intern. Med. 45 (9): 659–662. doi:10.2169/internalmedicine.45.1452. PMID 16755100. Retrieved 2009-06-10.
- Löfgren S (1953). "Primary pulmonary sarcoidosis. I. Early signs and symptoms". Acta Med Scand 145 (6): 424–431. doi:10.1111/j.0954-6820.1953.tb07039.x. PMID 13079656.
- Sven Halvar Löfgren biography
- Grunewald J, Eklund A (January 2007). "Sex-specific manifestations of Löfgren's syndrome". Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med. 175 (1): 40–44. doi:10.1164/rccm.200608-1197OC. PMC 1899259. PMID 17023727.
- Sam, Amir H.; James T.H. Teo (2010). Rapid Medicine. Wiley-Blackwell. ISBN 1405183233.
- Grunewald J, Eklund A (February 2009). "Löfgren's syndrome: human leukocyte antigen strongly influences the disease course". Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med. 179 (4): 307–312. doi:10.1164/rccm.200807-1082OC. PMID 18996998.
|This article about a disease, disorder, or medical condition is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|