L&T-class fast interceptor craft
|Name:||L&T-class fast interceptor craft|
|Builders:||Larsen & Toubro|
|Operators:||Indian Coast Guard|
|Type:||Fast interceptor craft|
|Displacement:||90 tonnes (89 long tons; 99 short tons)|
|Length:||30 m (98 ft 5 in)|
|Speed:||45 knots (83 km/h; 52 mph)|
|Endurance:||24hr, logistically sustainable for 72hr|
|Complement:||1 officer and 11 men|
|MARIS ECDIS900 SmartLine Mk10|
L&T fast interceptor craft are a series of high-speed interceptor boats being built by L&T Shipyard for the Indian Coast Guard. The ships are intended for patrol and rescue operations in India's Exclusive Economic Zone.
The interceptor boats are of planing-type, designed by the L&T Marine & Ship Design Division, an in-house facility of Larsen & Toubro Limited. They are 30 metres long with 90 tonnes displacement and can achieve a maximum speed of 45 knots. The interceptor boats has full aluminum-alloy hull for reduced weight and is powered by twin water-jet propulsion systems to enable quick response. The vessels are fitted with state-of-the-art navigation and communication equipment and medium-range armament. Each vessel is powered by two Caterpillar Marine Power Systems 3516C marine propulsion engines (2525 bkW @ 1800 rpm, ‘D’ Rating) and two C-4.4 auxiliary generator sets (86 eKW @ 1500 rpm). The water-jets for the high-speed interceptor boats are being supplied by MJP Waterjets. Delivery of the water-jets began in 2010 and will continue until 2013. They are also fitted with MARIS ECDIS900 SmartLine Mk10 Flat Panel Computer with radar kit.
The vessel's crew consists of one officer and eleven personnel and are designed to perform coastal surveillance, search and rescue, anti-smuggling and anti-poaching operations in close coast and can also operate effectively in shallow water.
M/s L&T secured an order on 22 March 2010 for building 36 high speed interceptor boats for Rs 977 crores. It further secured an additional order on 22 January 2013 to produce 18 similar Interceptor boats for Rs 447 crore. The boats are planned to be constructed at L&T’s existing shipyard at Hazira and at its new up-coming Kattupalli Shipyard near Ennore.
Commission and deployment
ICGS C-401, the first of the series was commissioned at Porbandar by Air Marshal A.K. Gogoi, Air Officer, Commanding-in-Chief South Western Air Command on 20 December 2012. Its first deployment is at Mundra under the administrative and operational control of the Commander Coast Guard (North-West) region and commanded by Deputy Commandant Lakshya Sharma.
The second vessel of the class, C-402, was commissioned at Mumbai Naval Dockyard on 12 April 2013, followed by C-403 at Mundra on 11 August 2013, and C-404 at Beypore on 6 December 2013. The ICGS C-421 was commissioned on 21 September 2015 at Androth (L&M Islands) commanded by Deputy Commandant Rohit Kulkarni. The ICGS C-422 was commissioned at the Karaikal Port on November 28. The vessel will patrol the coastal areas of Tamil Nadu, along the Bay of Bengal. C-405 was donated to the Seychelles Coast Guard in February 2016 and recommissioned as SCGS Hermes.
At least 28 of the 54 boats have been delivered by L&T to the Indian Coast Guard by April 2016.
Ships of Class
|ICGS C-401||20 December 2012||Porbandar|
|ICGS C-402||12 April 2013||Mumbai|
|ICGS C-403||11 August 2013||Mundra|
|ICGS C-404||6 December 2013||Beypore|
|ICGS C-406||17 February 2014||Kavaratti|
|ICGS C-407||1 June 2014||Port Blair (Re-based from Thiruvananthapuram)|
|ICGS C-408||28 May 2014||Jakhau|
|ICGS C-409||17 July 2014||Porbandar|
|ICGS C-410||4 November 2014||Goa|
|ICGS C-411||17 July 2014||Okha|
|ICGS C-412||17 July 2014||Port Blair (re-based from Mandapam)|
|ICGS C-413||19 January 2015||Okha|
|ICGS C-414||19 January 2015||Port Blair (Re-based from Mandapam)|
|ICGS C-415||5 June 2015||Karaikal|
|ICGS C-416||5 June 2015||Port Blair (Re-based from Mandapam)|
|ICGS C-417||29 March 2015||Port Blair (Re-based from Chennai)|
|ICGS C-418||10 April 2015||Haldia|
|ICGS C-419||15 May 2015||Pipavav|
|ICGS C-420||15 May 2015||Karwar|
|ICGS C-421||21 September 2015||Androth|
|ICGS C-422||28 November 2015||Karaikal|
|ICGS C-425||28 April 2013||Paradip|
|ICGS C-426||1 October 2013||Paradip|
|ICGS C-427||6 November 2014||Vizhinjam|
|ICGS C-428||6 November 2014||Port Blair (Re-based from Karaikal)|
|ICGS C-429||6 November 2014||Vadinar|
|ICGS C-430||29 March 2015||Chennai|
|L&T class High speed Interceptor Boat|
- ABG Interceptor Class fast attack crafts
- Cochin Fast Patrol Vessels
- Rajshree class inshore patrol vessel
- GSL class offshore patrol vessel
- "MJP Waterjets $12M Contract for Indian Coast". marinelink.com. 7 September 2010. Retrieved 19 May 2014.
- "Indian Coast Guard breakthrough for MARIS". maritime-executive.com. 2014. Retrieved 19 May 2014.
- Gupta, J.P. (22 March 2010). "Indian Coast Guard to get 36 high speed boats". igovernment.in. Retrieved 19 May 2014.
- "L&T Secures Additional Defence Order for 18 Interceptor Boats" (PDF). Larsen & Toubro. 22 January 2013. Retrieved 19 May 2014.
- "Coast Guard Ship C-401 commissioned at Porbandar". The Times of India. 21 December 2012. Retrieved 19 May 2014.
- "Coast Guard interceptor boat commissioned". The Times of India. 15 April 2013. Retrieved 19 May 2014.
- "Coast Guard hi-tech ship bolsters Kutch security". The Times of India. 12 August 2013. Retrieved 19 May 2014.
- "New ship adds teeth to Coast Guard operations". The Hindu. 7 December 2013. Retrieved 19 May 2014.
- "Two Indian Coast Guard ships commissioned at Naval Dock - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2015-12-26.
- "Indian Coast Guard commissions new vessel: All you need to know : Polity and Governance". indiatoday.intoday.in. Retrieved 2015-12-26.
- "Lakshadweep times" (PDF).
- "Indian Coast Guard to re-base ICGS Rajkamal, six interceptor boats - The Economic Times". The Economic Times. Retrieved 2016-03-25.
- "Coast Guard ship C-407 commissioned - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2015-12-27.
- "Indian Coast Guard news".
- "Gujarat: coast guard gets three high-speed interceptor boats". Retrieved 2015-12-27.
- "Three patrol vessels for Coast Guard - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2015-12-27.
- "India Coast Guard Org" (PDF).
- "Boost for Coast Guard, Parrikar set to commission four ships on Monday : North, News - India Today". indiatoday.intoday.in. Retrieved 2015-12-27.
- "Mandapam Coast Guard station gets one more interceptor boat - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2015-12-27.
- "Interceptor boat ICGS C-422 commissioned into Indian Coast Guard service". currentaffairs.gktoday.in. Retrieved 2015-12-27.
- "Coast Guard Commissions 2 ships". Portwings. Retrieved 2015-12-27.
- "Will enhance Coast Guard's capability - Coast Guard's Fast Patrol Vessel 'Anagh' & Interceptor boats commissioned - The Economic Times". The Economic Times. Retrieved 2015-12-27.
- "Commissioning of the ICGS C 418 - SP's MAI". www.spsmai.com. Retrieved 2015-12-27. horizontal tab character in
|title=at position 33 (help)
- "Coast Guard commissions four boats at Porbandar". timesofindia-economictimes. Retrieved 2015-12-27.
- "Indian Coast Guard commissions new vessel: All you need to know : Polity and Governance". indiatoday.intoday.in. Retrieved 2015-12-27.
- "Coast Guard commissions ICGS C-425". The Hindu. 2013-04-28. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 2015-12-27.
- "CG launches interceptor ship to intensify coastal security". sagarsandesh. Retrieved 2015-12-27.
- "Indian Coast Guard News".
- "Coast Guard rescues 3 fishermen, 70 km off Poovar". Metrovaartha English Edition. Retrieved 2016-03-15.
- "Interceptor boat ICGS C-422 commissioned into Indian Coast Guard service". currentaffairs.gktoday.in. Retrieved 2016-03-15.
- "Tarmak007 - Indian Coast Guard warms up to Commission of... | Facebook". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 2016-03-15.