L'Ange-Gardien, Outaouais, Quebec
Location within Les Collines-de-l'Outaouais RCM.
|Coordinates: Coordinates: |
|Constituted||May 17, 1979|
|• Mayor||Robert Goulet|
|• Federal riding||Pontiac|
|• Prov. riding||Papineau|
|• Total||224.50 km2 (86.68 sq mi)|
|• Land||218.49 km2 (84.36 sq mi)|
|• Density||23.1/km2 (60/sq mi)|
|• Pop 2006-2011||16.2%|
|Time zone||EST (UTC−5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC−4)|
|Postal code(s)||J8L 0K8|
|Highways|| Route 309
L'Ange-Gardien (French for "the guardian angel") is a municipality in the Outaouais region of Quebec, Canada. It constitutes the easternmost part of Les Collines-de-l'Outaouais Regional County Municipality, north of the Buckingham Sector of the City of Gatineau.
The municipality straddles both sides of the Du Lièvre River. The following communities and villages are within its boundaries:
- Glen Almond
In 1861, a parish municipality was formed and named L'Ange-Gardien. In 1869, a post office serving the parish and village was established. In 1881, it was separated from Buckingham Canton and formed into a parish municipality. In 1915 the village of Angers was separated from L'Ange-Gardien.
On January 1, 1975 L'Ange-Gardien, Buckingham, Masson, Notre-Dame-de-la-Salette, Angers, Buckingham-South-East, and Buckingham-South-West were merged to form the City of Buckingham. But because of adverse public reaction, this merger did not last long. On January 1, 1980 the former municipalities of West Buckingham, Buckingham Township, and L'Ange-Gardien Parish were reorganized into the Municipality of L'Ange-Gardien.
- Population in 2011: 5051 (2006 to 2011 population change: 16.2%)
- Population in 2006: 4348
- Population in 2001: 3610
- 2001 to 2006 population change: 20.4%
- Population in 1996: 3521
- Population in 1991: 2815
Private dwellings (occupied by usual residents): 1775
- English as first language: 16%
- French as first language: 82%
- English and French as first language: 1%
- Other as first language: 1%
- Reference number 177362 of the Commission de toponymie du Québec (French)
- Geographic code 82005 in the official Répertoire des municipalités (French)
- "(Code 2482005) Census Profile". 2011 census. Statistics Canada. 2012.
- "L'Ange-Gardien" (in French). Commission de toponymie du Québec. Retrieved 2008-04-10.
- "Municipality of L'Ange-Gardien History". Municipalité de L'Ange-Gardien. Retrieved 2008-04-08.
- Statistics Canada: 1996, 2001, 2006, 2011 census
- Media related to L'Ange-Gardien, Outaouais, Québec at Wikimedia Commons
||Notre-Dame-de-la-Salette / Mulgrave-et-Derry|
|Gatineau (Masson, Buckingham)||Lochaber-Partie-Ouest|