L'Anse-à-l'Orme Nature Park
|L'Anse-à-l'Orme Nature Park|
One of the wetlands in the park.
|Location||Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
|Area||196 ha (480 acres)|
Senneville Road, opens onto a vast expanse of water, a widening of the Lake of Two Mountains, called l'Anse à l'Orme (English: Elm Cove). The L'Anse-à-l'Orme Nature Park, which belongs to the city of Montreal, has an area of 220 hectares (540 acres). The park extends along the cove for about 1 kilometre (0.62 mi), on both sides of the mouth of the Rivière à l'Orme (English: Elm River). From the Lake of Two Mountains, the park area extends inland for an approximately 4 kilometres (2.5 mi) long corridor along the line the banks of the Rivière à l'Orme.
Some believed that the name would indicate the presence of elms (French: orme) here. Others say that the place name commemorates Julien Hubert dit Delorme to whom the land adjacent to the cove (French: anse) had been granted in 1698. The name "Rivière Anse à l'Orme" can be found on maps starting in 1744, on which the name appears to refer to as the cove as well.
The park's area was further enlarged when, in 2011, an additional 31 hectares (77 acres) of land belonging to Investissement Québec in the Rivière à l'Orme ecoterritory in the neighbouring municipality of Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue was annexed to it. This expansion ensured the conservation of the pockets of forests and wetlands, in addition to adding to the numerous trails used for walking and biking and recreational areas.
- "Parc régional de l'Anse-à-l'Orme". Commission de toponymie du Québec. Retrieved 24 September 2013.
- Ville de Montréal - Network of large parks - Anse-à-l'Orme Nature Park
- Island of Montreal from ville.montreal.qc.ca Map dated 1744.
- Map of Henry Whitmer Hopkins from the year 1879
- From www.collectionscanada.gc.ca Gordon and Gotch map of Montreal dated 1924. "Rivière Anse à l'Orme" is written on the map.
- "Rivière à l'Orme" Natural Resources Canada. Named 1968-12-05.
- "l'Anse à l'Orme to be expanded". The Gazette (Montreal). Retrieved 24 September 2013.
- "Environmental projects". Ville de Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue. Retrieved 24 September 2013.