|Head chef||Emmanuel Mertens|
|Street address||Wilhelminasingel 76-80|
|Other information||Restaurant closed in 1999|
L'Auberge is a defunct restaurant located in Weert in the Netherlands. It was a fine dining restaurant that was awarded one Michelin stars in the period 1986-1991 and two Michelin stars in the period 1992-2000. The restaurant closed down due to bankruptcy. According to the Volkskrant, the restaurant building itself and its appearance, rather than its kitchen, would preclude the restaurant from obtaining a third Michelin star.
After moving to a new location in 1996, and the divorce of maître d'hôtel Willy Mertens and head chef Emmanuel Mertens, resulting in the departure of Willy Mertens, restaurant guide Lekker gave the restaurant a strong negative review in 1998. The restaurant was sold in 1999.
Mertens was later awarded a Michelin star again with Restaurant Mertens in Hamburg, Germany. One of the young chefs working and training in L'Auberge was Jonnie Boer, present owner and head chef of De Librije.
Hans and Marie-José Munten bought the building and converted it in Hostellerie Munten.
Sources and references
- "l'Auberge Emmanuel Mertens · Weert". Vakantieland.nl. Retrieved December 14, 2011.
- Brandligt, Vivie (19 June 2007). "Historisch overzicht Michelinsterren" [Historical overview Dutch Michelin stars 1986-1990]. Misset Horeca (in Dutch). Retrieved 12 January 2013.
- Brandligt, Vivie (19 June 2007). "Historisch overzicht Michelinsterren" [Historical overview Dutch Michelin stars 1991-1996]. Misset Horeca (in Dutch). Retrieved 12 January 2013.
- Brandligt, Vivie (30 March 2012). "Historisch overzicht Michelinsterren 1997 t/m 2000" [Historical overview Dutch Michelin stars 1997-2000]. Misset Horeca (in Dutch). Retrieved 12 January 2013.
- "Nieuwe 'twee sterren'". De Telegraaf (in Dutch). March 6, 1992. p. 4. Retrieved December 7, 2011.
- (in Dutch) Toekomst Emmanuel Mertens ligt in consultancy
- Van Dinther, Mac (September 23, 1995). "'Ik ben geen Michelin-slijmer'". De Volkskrant (in Dutch). Retrieved December 3, 2011.
- Van Dinther, Mac (October 13, 2001). "Emmanuel Mertens". De Volkskrant (in Dutch). Retrieved December 3, 2011.
- Net loss of stars for Benelux restaurants
- (in Dutch) Emmanuel Mertens laat van zich horen
- "René by Jonnie". Dagblad De Telegraaf (in Dutch). 8 September 1993. Retrieved 16 December 2011.
- (in Dutch) Frietje Zuurvlees voor hostellerie-patron Request send to newspaper for a direct reference with date on 24/12/2011 NotBW