L'Eglise du Precieux Sang (Woonsocket, Rhode Island)
L'Eglise du Sang Precieux
|Location||Woonsocket, Rhode Island|
|Architect||E. Boyden & Son; Walter F. Fontaine|
|NRHP Reference #|||
|Added to NRHP||July 26, 1982|
The L'Eglise du Precieux Sang (also known as The Church of the Precious Blood (in French) is a historic Roman Catholic church complex at 94 Carrington Avenue and 61 Park Avenue in Woonsocket, Rhode Island within the Diocese of Providence.
- 94 Carrington Avenue
The church, a High Victorian Gothic polychrome (but predominantly red) brick structure, was designed by Worcester, Massachusetts architects E. Boyden & Son. Construction began in 1873, and halted in 1875. It was quickly resumed under a new pastor, but much of the building was destroyed in a severe 1876 storm. Rebuilding began soon after, and the building was finally dedicated in 1881. A rectory was built along with the church as well. Originally a Second Empire style wooden building, it was remodeled in brick to designs by local architect Walter F. Fontaine in 1917.
The church tower was originally only completed up to the third stage, and it remained so until around 1910, when it was completed to designs by Fontaine.
- 61 Park Avenue
In 1894–95, a convent and school, the Jesus-Marie Convent and Academy, was built at the corner of Park and Carrington. The architect is unknown, but the building is similar to other late designs by Boyden. The school was tripled in size in 1911. In 1927, a large chapel addition was built onto the convent, designed by Fontaine. At the same time, he designed a high school for the church on Greene Street. The site is now a parking lot. The complex had since been sold, and is now a senior housing development called Chateau Clare.
- Catholic Church in the United States
- Catholic parish church
- Index of Catholic Church articles
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Providence County, Rhode Island
- Pastoral care
- National Park Service (2007-01-23). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- Norton, Paul F. (2001). Rhode Island Stained Glass An Historical Guide. Dover, New Hampshire: William L. Bauhan. pp. 151, 152.
- American Contractor 5 May 1917: 67.
- "NRHP nomination for L'Eglise du Precieux Sang" (PDF). Rhode Island Preservation. Retrieved 2014-08-07.
- "Rhode Island Presidents & Governors Graves of Governors Continued". Ancestry.com. Retrieved April 28, 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to L'Eglise du Precieux Sang (Woonsocket, Rhode Island).|
|This article about a Registered Historic Place in Providence County, Rhode Island is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a church or other Christian place of worship in Rhode Island is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|