|Type||Weekly newspaper (1911-1914)
Daily newspaper (1914-1926)
|Owner(s)||Italian Nationalist Association|
|Founded||1 March 1911|
|Political alignment||proto-fascism, Italian nationalism, militarism, Italian irredentism|
L'Idea Nazionale (Italian for "The National Idea") was an Italian political newspaper associated with the Italian Nationalist Association (ANI), which merged with the National Fascist Party in 1923. The paper was published between 1911 and 1926.
History and profile
L'Idea Nazionale was first published on 1 March 1911, the fifteenth anniversary of the Battle of Adwa. The paper was a weekly publication and was based in Rome. It was founded by ANI activist Enrico Corradini. Alfredo Rocco was also instrumental in establishment of it. In fact, the founders were part of the imperialist wing of the ANI.
L'Idea Nazionale was coedited by Enrico Corradini, Roberto Forges Davanzati and Luigi Federzoni. Other writers included Francesco Coppola, Maurizio Maraviglia and the Romanian Elena Bacaloglu. In 1914 the paper began to be published daily to support for the intervention of Italy in World War I.
The Nationalist Association and its paper advocated militaristic nationalism and creation of an Italian empire. First, the newspaper endorsed Italy's war of 1911, against the Ottoman Empire, urging for the annexation of North African colonies. It then supported irredentism, campaigning for Italy to enter World War I against the Central Powers.
- R. J. B. Bosworth (30 January 2007). Mussolini's Italy: Life under the Fascist Dictatorship, 1915-1945. Penguin Group US. p. 48. ISBN 978-1-101-07857-0. Retrieved 11 January 2015.
- Mark I. Choate (2008). Emigrant Nation: The Making of Italy Abroad. Harvard University Press. p. 166. ISBN 978-0-674-02784-8. Retrieved 11 January 2015.
- David D. Roberts (1979). The Syndicalist Tradition and Italian Fascism. Manchester University Press. p. 47. ISBN 978-0-7190-0761-3. Retrieved 11 January 2015.
- Roger Abaslom (11 September 2014). Italy Since 1800: A Nation in the Balance?. Routledge. p. 84. ISBN 978-1-317-90122-8. Retrieved 11 January 2015.
- "Idea nazionale, L’". Treccani. Retrieved 11 January 2015.