In 1891, L'Illustration became the first French newspaper to publish a photograph. Many of these photographs came from syndicated photo-press agencies like Chusseau-Flaviens, but the publication also employed its own photographers such as Léon Gimpel and others. In 1907, L'Illustration was the first to publish a color photograph. It also published Gaston Leroux' novel Le mystère de la chambre jaune as a serial a year before its 1908 release.
Its editor-in-chief was Gaston Sorbets from 1923 onwards. During the Second World War, while it was owned by the Baschet family, L'Illustration supported Marshal Philippe Pétain's Révolution nationale. However, it turned down pro-German articles by Jacques Bouly de Lesdain. However, Lesdain later became its political editor.
- French Wartime Magazines and Periodicals: L'Illustration.
- Geneste, Elsa (2013). "René Maran et la Résistance : enquête sur une prétendue collaboration". Présence Africaine. 1 (187-188): 139–152. doi:10.3917/presa.187.0139. Retrieved October 4, 2016 – via Cairn.info. (Registration required (. ))
- Lackerstein, Debbie (March 2012). National Regeneration in Vichy France: Ideas and Policies, 1930-1944. Ashgate. p. 210. ISBN 978-0754667216.
- Lambauer, Barbara (2004). "Otto Abetz, inspirateur et catalyseur de la collaboration culturelle". In Betz, Albrecht; Martens, Stefan. Les intellectuels et l’Occupation, 1940-1944. Paris: Autrement. pp. 64–89. ISBN 9782746705401. Retrieved October 4, 2016 – via Cairn.info. (Registration required (. ))
- Grenier, Jean (1997). Sous l'Occupation (Collection "Pour mémoire") (in French). Publisher: C. Paulhan. ISBN 978-2912222008.
- Marchandiau Jean-Noël. (1987). L'Illustration : vie et mort d'un journal, 1843-1944. Toulouse : Éditions Privat. ISBN 978-2-7089-5335-2; OCLC 17695376
- Media related to L'Illustration at Wikimedia Commons
- Official website of L'Illustration company which have published L'Illustration
- Hathi Trust. L'Illustration, digitized issues
|This French newspaper-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|