Louis Charles Karpinski
Louis Charles Karpinski (5 August 1878 – 25 January 1956) was an American mathematician born in Rochester, New York to Henry Hermanagle Karpinski from Warsaw, Poland and Mary Louise Engesser from Guebweiler, Alsace. He was educated at Cornell University and in Europe at Strassburg.
He also studied (1909–1910) at Columbia, where he was a fellow and a university extension lecturer. He taught at Berea College and at Oswego, New York at the Normal School there, then accepted a position at the University of Michigan where in 1919 he became full professor of mathematics. Dr. Karpinski devoted his attention chiefly to the history and pedagogy of mathematics.
An authority on the history of science, he was collaborator on the Archivo di Storia della Scienza and author of The Hindu-Arabic Numerals, with David Eugene Smith (1911), Robert of Chester's Latin Translation of the Algebra of Al-Khowarizmi (1915), and Unified Mathematics, with H. Y. Benedict and J. W. Calhoun (1913), and subsequently produced other publications. He served as the president of the History of Science Society from 1943-44.
- The Hindu-Arabic Numerals (with David Eugene Smith). Boston: Ginn and Company, 1911.
- Robert of Chester's Latin Translation of the Algebra of Al-Khowarizmi, with an Introduction, Critical Notes and an English Version. New York: Macmillan Co., 1915.
- Unified Mathematics (with Harry Y. Benedict and John W. Calhoun). Boston: D.C. Heath and Company, 1918 and 1922.
- The History of Arithmetic. Chicago: Rand McNally and Co., 1925.
- Bibliography of the Printed Maps of Michigan, 1804-1880. Lansing: Michigan Historical Commission, 1931.
- Historical Atlas of the Great Lakes and Michigan. Lansing: Michigan Historical Commission, 1931.
- Bibliography of Mathematical Works Printed in America through 1850. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, 1940.
- 1900 US Federal Census, New York, Oswego, Oswego Ward 3, District 123, Page 7
- Obituary of Marie Engesser Karpinski, Oswego Daily Times, August 15, 1904.
- The History of Science Society "The Society: Past Presidents of the History of Science Society" Archived 2013-12-12 at the Wayback Machine., accessed 4 December 2013
- This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Gilman, D. C.; Peck, H. T.; Colby, F. M., eds. (1905). "article name needed". New International Encyclopedia (1st ed.). New York: Dodd, Mead.
- LCK as a chess player
- Mathematics Genealogy
- Louis C. Karpinski Mathematics Textbook Database
- Works by Louis Charles Karpinski at Project Gutenberg
- Works by or about Louis Charles Karpinski at Internet Archive
|This article about an American scientist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about an American mathematician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|